Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Is a 53 FORD 2 DR SEDAN DESIRABLE?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by RUMBLON, Jan 16, 2016.

1. F-ONE

F-ONE
    from Alabama

It's worth sacrificing a really good Sedan to build up a not so good Victoria. With that much seat rot you can count on having weak floors and rockers. If the chassis is in tact it's worth building back to stock or custom. If it was a tudor sedan I would say pass but being a Vicky, that makes all the difference.

As far as value that's a personal and regional thing. You have to look at a car for what it is, not what it was and most definitely not what it could be.

2. PunkAssGearhead88

PunkAssGearhead88
    from So Cal

Didn't say that, sounds like you were trying to put words in one's mouth.

When you ask if a '53 Ford is desirable, say things like "ratrod kinda rig" and then post pics of O/T muscle cars, one doesn't have to "know it all" to think that you're posting on the wrong forum. Hope that Victoria doesn't end up looking any worse. Have a nice night!

3. RUMBLON

RUMBLON

Ok, you have a nice night too! I hope saying the RR word didn't wreck anyone else's day. I now know better so consider me schooled. I also hope the pic of my Cuda didn't cause anyone any trauma. I always thought if I was reading something and didnt like it, I could just leave. No, that would be too easy.

RUMBLON

4. low-n-slo54

low-n-slo54

I was having a nice night until the RR thing. All the 'Cuda picture did was make my pants shorter. So, you buy the Vicky yet?

5. Squablow

Squablow

My first car was a '53 Ford, which I still have, and I have a '52 as well. I have been around these cars my whole life.

Trunk hinges are a dime a dozen, but hood hinges are very expensive for good ones, and taking them out involves removing the front fenders. They're integrated into the heater tubes. The last real nice set of used hood hinges I had, I got $450 for. Reproductions are currently available on eBay, they're $520/pair.

The first place these cars like to rot out is the inner rocker panels, that's where you have to check for rust. The body/floor mounts/braces that tie into the inner rockers like to rot out with them. Even cars with nice outer rockers seem to suffer here. It's a fixable thing, but very dirty and time comsuming. They other key place to check for rust are inside the roof driprails (a very difficult fix and surprisingly common).

A Chevy engine does fit very well and would be the cheapest engine to swap in, my '53 has a 348 in it and the '52 has a small block. The small block was in the car when I got it but it does seem to fit nice.

That said, as much as I love these cars, and they do have a following, they're not that valuable when compared to the 49-51 Ford cars, or even 53-54 Chevy cars. A '53 like the one you're looking at, assuming there is some inner rocker rot to go with the interior rot, no engine, some missing trim and hinges, is probably only a $1000 car. You can buy real nice finished ones for $10-$12K so that should give you an idea of a price.

IMG_20141107_110341.jpg

6. RUMBLON

RUMBLON

I get to see it tomorrow around 11AM. And if they had as much snow 30 miles south of me as I had Im going to have to do some digging to see it.

RUMBLON

low-n-slo54 likes this.
  7. RUMBLON

RUMBLON

Thanks you very much for information, this will be very helpful when it comes to checking the car out tomorrow. Knowing the cars weak points will help out a lot. Also, $520 for hood hinges is pricey but not unexpected. Do other years interchange?

RUMBLON

8. 56premiere

56premiere
    from oregon

Hey RUMBLON , I'm between Weiser and Ontario not much snow here. Foggy though. Good luck Jack

9. RUMBLON

RUMBLON

gREA

Great a local guy. Are you out 201, the back way?

RUMBLON

10. Squablow

Squablow

52-54 Ford and Mercury share the hood hinges.

11. RUMBLON

RUMBLON

Thanks

Thanks

12. I wasn't gonna say it...

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  13. If yo do get it -contact jeffb2 here on the HAMB; he just posted a message this afternoon that he knows someone with a set of hood hinges for sale for $200.

14. RUMBLON

RUMBLON

But now you did, good for you post # 6,851 You keep going, you will get to 7,000 soon. And to be honest I had no plan, thats why Im asking. Never built a ford in my life. By tomorrow I should have some pics and get to see it in person and see if its even something I want to build .I am sure that will spur some more comments. I do appreciate the guys who actually have some good info and ideas, its very appreciated.

RUMBLON

15. RUMBLON

RUMBLON

Thanks!!!

16. RUMBLON

RUMBLON

Well, you were right. Went to look at this and like you said the rockers were both toast. Plus someone cut the front driver side floor up. Lots of surface rust on the exterior and some dents ect. Missing chrome too. But I guess it can all be fixed and the guy has another hood and the grille for it. He said he was going to start parting it and crush what was left. So that im mind im buying it. Im not sure its my cup of tea but I think I can break even if nothing else. Plus he has some 50s Dodge tail gates and parts that he threw in.

Here are some pics.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. RUMBLON

RUMBLON

18. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

Wow - nothing like a big project to make quick money with

19. J'st Wandering

J'st Wandering

At first look I thought that it was a basket case but looking it over further, looks like a solid base for someone's build. Not all that rusty and it is a hardtop. The hole in the floor will be an easy fix. Again, the perception of rust depends on what part of the country you are at.

Neal

bondojunkie likes this.
  20. It ain't perfect but it ain't that bad,plus it's a very desirable body style. HRP

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  21. Well a Vic is a 2 door hardtop and I like them real well. Of course that doesn't make them desirable. :D

[​IMG]

22. RUMBLON

RUMBLON

23. RUMBLON

RUMBLON

Now that Im learning a bit about Fords. I see this one daily. Its a four door I think but Im wondering if anything on it rim wise would help? I hear this guy sells nothing, he just collects them in his yard. IMG_6464.JPG

Attached Files:

24. belair

belair

They make nice mild customs. I would Chevytize it if it was mine. Looks like a pretty solid and complete car. Good luck.

25. woodbutcher

woodbutcher

:eek: Sounds like this is going to be fun.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo

26. Jessie J.

Jessie J.

One ride in a 401 powered '53 Buford business coupe back in 1964 convinced me for life that a '53 Ford would always be desirable to me.

27. Slopok

Slopok

Your Dodge rims have the same bolt pattern as Fords.

28. RUMBLON

RUMBLON

I knew the newer fords, IE 60s were the same in the muscle car era but I didnt know this would be a 5x4 1/2. I have two sets of rims and tires that are new and would work. Both sets cost more than the car.

RUMBLON

29. It's a shame about the windshield, but it's really pretty whole. Would be cool to save it; would be REALLY cool with a 413 ! gues it depends on what you can get it for $$$