Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Price Check, isle 1955 please....

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by dcs13, Jan 18, 2016.

1. dcs13

dcs13

2. khead47

khead47

Does'nt matter. Auction is over.

3. dcs13

dcs13

I'm negotiating with him over email. He's local. I was high bidder, but no one else bid over $800. Just trying to help us both with some "real world" experts here on pricing.

volvobrynk likes this.
  4. I always look at "big" trucks as a way to buy a cab. I wouldn't want to build one. That said, if in fact you do want to build it, and the auction is over but not "sold", figure the value of the cab, plus scrap price for the unusable parts???? That's where I would start but then I'm not schooled in these things. I would offer max $700?? Lets see what others might think. tim EDIT. just saw your second post. In the ball park!

5. Wait! If your high bidder then why are you negotiating? I would think you'd be locked in to your bid? Tim

6. dcs13

dcs13

Auction ended. Didn't hit reserve. I contacted him via email after it ended trying to get a deal done. I've made him an offer, but he thinks I'm too low. I wont post what I offered (yet). I think I know the market on these. I sent him a link to this thread to help him on pricing.

7. flatford39

flatford39

Well somewhere between your offer and his reserve price is the answer. It's called negotiating. A lost art in my mind.

My gut feel here is that you want to buy it for nothing and he wants to sell it for something.

You need to quit talking about here and call him up on the telephone.

volvobrynk and verde742 like this.
  8. squirrel

squirrel

I think it's worth $800 if he gets title for it. Because it'll cost you 500 to get a title for it.

volvobrynk likes this.
  9. verde742

verde742

It won't cost you $500 in Az where I live, But make him " Jump the Ropes" and get a clean title and pay what you can afford, not a penny more, when you buy it, Your gonna "HAVE" it, not a big demand . Prove me wrong... its OK, been done before.
    I just looked at close ups, ITS a damn mess, Pass at any price, I can smell the BAD HEAVY rust in the bottom of the doors from HERE, and I am in Arizona. my.02

BUT , if it was a CAB-OVER, now were talkin'

I am like the fat girl at the prom, just so happy ta be here. !!! 74 months of bone and blood cancer, now in remission since OCTOBER yea !!! for me !!!

Last edited: Jan 18, 2016
  10. squirrel

squirrel

I just got a bonded title for a 50s truck in AZ, it was way more expensive than everyone told me it would be.

11. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

pass on this - others out there

APACHE FS likes this.
  12. 59Apachegail

59Apachegail
    from New York

You guys are spoiled... It would cost more than that for us to ship it here on the east cost. Forget about getting it over a bridge to NY. :)

13. APACHE FS

APACHE FS

Man $800 would be top dollar I gotta have this truck price. If you want a big truck there's more out there. I wouldn't touch it without a title because it's not worth the hassle for that money. He's in Alvarado drive around there and you'll see a lot of them sitting in the area. Hell there's two COEs sitting right off 2738 there. Seller knows what it's worth in the real world.

14. verde742

verde742

To bad no one told you about applying for abandoned vehicle title, $75.00

15. Jimmy2car

Jimmy2car
    from No. Cal

16. I hear titles in Texas have changed. Friend of mine went to get papers for a bonded title. He was told to take a stack of paper an inch thick. Seems Texas copied Ca. no title policy. Better be sure before you buy.

17. saw it as well....just for info most bowties got the 6cyl waaaaaay up into the 60's...2 speed axle as well.....it runs good....did you go look at it....about what hour or so drive....Cali truck? about $1200 if I'm looking for one like that....

18. verde742

verde742

Guys, Go back and tap the big picture, which takes you to the little pictures,look at all up close,
    that thing hasn't been started in years, and I have a great imagination..
    Golly, look at it, and look at manifolds.. If ever there was a "ran when parked" this is it!!

19. squirrel

squirrel

That works if you can deal with the guy who's property it's sitting on. Not the case with this one.

20. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

From the ebay ad;
    Please Note - sold with bill of sale - OR - Texas bonded title in my name for an additional $500

What's his counter come back price? The ebay listing looks to be a $2500 'buy it now', which is way high IMO. As Flatford said, get on the phone and negotiate with him. If the price is good, jump in the car and go look at it. It's an hour drive from you, all highway.

21. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

doesn't matter what we think is a fair price, only what the owner thinks

22. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

Since the bidding only went to $800, I would have thought the seller found out what his truck was really worth, regardless of how much he THINKS it was worth. Something is only worth what another person is willing to pay for it. Not having a title would be the deal breaker for me, but I would love to have that truck, I want to build an old timey ramp truck to haul my altered, if and when I ever get it done.

Don

23. dcs13

dcs13

Thanks guys. I made what I thought was a decent offer at $1250, and would have MAYBE gone a bit more. He declined. No worries, it's his truck, he can ask what he wants. He seems like a nice guy, I just think he's in it for too much and can't deal. I don't need it, so moving on to the next deal. Thanks again, you guys confirmed what I thought the REAL world price was.

24. oldolds

oldolds

Most people forget that when you have to pay to move a bigger truck the price goes up quite a bit. That has to figure in the purchase price.

25. Chevy Gasser

Chevy Gasser

$800 is being very generous on that truck. It has loads of rust. At very least it will need fender patches and door bottoms and those aren't pickup fenders, any part will have to be fabricated. The doors are the same as a pickup. From visible rust and door gaps I think it would be a safe bet it will also need door hinges. Lots of dents in it but what metal is left will be heavy and will work out but it will take time. A 265 is a bonus. If it is an early v8 the pulleys could be worth a lot. "needs minor brake work", there is no minor brake work on those BUT brake parts are easily available. With the rust that is showing, it is time to replace all the brake lines. Yes, a 6400 will have a 2 spd rear but you won't be hauling loads heavy enough to need it. The tank need cleaning means it needs a new tank, they are only $125 or so. For what it costs to clean one you will more that likely find some pinholes.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2016
  26. With a title and somewhat complete it is worth 800-1000 dollars. That said what do you do with a 2 ton truck other then haul hay?

27. Budget36

Budget36

Well, I sold a low mileage '55 265 for 450, plus freight...buyer was real happy...if the cab is the same as a 1/2 ton, there's a good 600+ there..so I think if you are looking for parts, then 800 is decent price.

Also, what's in the cab, heater, radio?...gauge cluster there in good shape?

Not that I'd want/need a big truck, but if building something else, is worth a good look over.

28. belair

belair

Since you're out, it doesnt matter, but that was a parts truck. 500-800 was all the money IMO. No title in Texas is a pain. Bill of sale is worthless. Find a decent (or junk) 1/2 ton with a good title, and you could make a good truck with that one as the donor.

29. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell