Register now to get rid of these ads!

New Banger block in the works.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 58custom, Aug 11, 2011.

1. 427designer

427designer
    from Ohio

Well, Prus Jr. came to the shop with a couple of blocks he needs me to do some surfacing on, and we discussed the latest sample block as it sat outside the machining center still on the pallet. He is very optimistic that we can have this running and video it for YouTube.

When I was gun-drilling the main oil galley the coolant blasted out with impressive force once the drill opened up at the center intersection. We discussed altering the pattern to put a boss on the OD of the mail oil galley so a pressure relief valve can be put in. Easy addition to help keep oil pressure regulated.

I didn't take any pictures because I forgot my camera at home, but I fit the flywheel housing on the pins and bolted it on, bolted on the side cover and oil return tube, bolted on the front and front side covers, as well as the side water neck. I had to leave so I did not get time to once again put in manifold studs and bolt on the 2 manifolds. But, I have already done that so I know they look good. A head has also already been bolted on. A little bit more and it is finished and off to the build shop.

He LOVED the Winfield iron pictured above.

Tod
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 12, 2016
  2. BCCHOPIT

BCCHOPIT

I like the sound of a pressure relief valve. Or a place to easily add one...

3. ebtm3

ebtm3

So do I--

Herb Kephart

4. 427designer

427designer
    from Ohio

Let's see how these look.

block 006.jpg block 007.jpg block 008.jpg

kiwijeff, rexrogers, Dannerr and 6 others like this.
  5. 427designer

427designer
    from Ohio

In the pictures above, I did not waste any time putting all nuts and bolts on since they will all be coming back off anyway. The head is a Snyder 5.5:1 head that I had at the shop. The Weber set up is Snyder's, which I am borrowing to make sure my new cast headers clear it.

The only things I have left to do are the obvious oil filler and dipstick holes, oil pan holes, cylinder boring, main cap stud holes (this one will not use through bolts like stock), and lifter bores. I have to try to fit this in when I can because every machine is busy.

Tod

6. Gaters

Gaters

Wow! How exciting. Great work there and it's moving along nicely. Beautiful to see!

7. Tod. Just, wow. Appreciate the updates.

8. I'm with BCCHOPIT! ^ :cool:
    Good thinking! :D

volvobrynk likes this.
  9. 427designer

427designer
    from Ohio

I'm heading to the foundry this morning to assemble the Crow's foot head mold.

Pictures when it is cast and machined.

EDIT: I assembled the mold today and in order to get it poured today for shake-out Monday, I opted to let Larry pour a class 40 Grey Iron alloy that will work. They weren't going to be pouring the class 30 used on the other 2 today, so we decided on this route. The owner, Corey Jarvis, is aware and will make sure it works. I figure it can only be a little stronger which is fine for a sample.

Tod

Last edited: Jan 15, 2016
  10. TRUMBULLFOUNDRY

TRUMBULLFOUNDRY

Great job Tod!!

11. 427designer

427designer
    from Ohio

Gentlemen, how about a warm welcome to TRUMBULLFOUNDRY!!!! That is my iron foundry's owner, and as you can see, he owns an A of his own. You really need to thank him for helping me to get as far as I am in these projects. He is doing everything he can to help me make this reality.

Tod

Tiny, volvobrynk, waxhead and 3 others like this.
  12. kenwood

kenwood
    from ne ohio

Welcome, And great job of casting.

13. town sedan

town sedan

... and Great job TRUMBULLFOUNDRY! This is great stuff to see happen.
    -Dave

14. The 39 guy

The 39 guy

Todd,I am not a banger guy but I applaud your work on this project! I am glad there are talented, motivated people like you in the hobby! What a great project! the thread has been a fascinating read!

15. BCCHOPIT

BCCHOPIT

You guys make a great team....
    Thank you both for doing the job the right way. We have been putting up with junk it's nice to see things changing for the better

16. ghornbostel

ghornbostel

I too welcome TRUMBULLFOUNDRY. Having been in the foundry business for over 20 years, I can say "foundry isn't easy". The amount of work that goes into a usable casting is unbelievable. Patterns, core boxes, gating and risering, you are usually trying to solve 2 problems at one time, both of which have the same symptom plus the atmospheric changes from day to day that can effect how a mold will fill or solidify. My hat is off to you and Tod. I watch this thread with great interest and I feel your pain.

Greg

volvobrynk likes this.
  17. Go baby go..... Welcome Trumbullfoundry!

ottoman and volvobrynk like this.
  18. 427designer

427designer
    from Ohio

I sent a test head to BCCHOPIT for testing on his race car. He should have it by Thursday. Stay tuned for news.

Tod

19. 427designer

427designer
    from Ohio

Just picked up the first Crow's foot iron sample. Looks every bit as nice as the other 2. I will try to machine it this week some time. Lot's going on the next few days.

Tod

20. BCCHOPIT

BCCHOPIT

Cats out of the bag.... I am stoked to try this bad boy out.

There will be up dates here and ford barn and lots of pics on Instagram @BCCHOPIT and my WAC Customs face book page.

21. BCCHOPIT

BCCHOPIT

Well banger brothers and sisters this head looks killer.... ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1453432651.779937.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1453432662.977050.jpg .

22. waxhead

waxhead
    from West Oz

Sure does. When do you plan on installing it??

23. BCCHOPIT

BCCHOPIT

Hope to be terrorizing that streets next week end

waxhead likes this.
  24. 427designer

427designer
    from Ohio

Meh, looks okay. I'll be a believer when it's chugging down the street.

Tod

25. Have no fear Tod. Cousin Bill will be drifting his coupe through the snow with that in no time! And more importantly, when will you be ready to "TAKE MY MONEY"!?!?!?

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  26. Is there a trademark issue with putting the "Winfield" on the head? Just curious?

27. 427designer

427designer
    from Ohio

The cow's foot version is mostly machined. So far, so good.

Tod

28. 427designer

427designer
    from Ohio

Not sure, that's one reason I left it off of mine.

Tod

29. Just have to say that this venture is fantastic. As a technology guy, I always enjoy a re-invention true to form and function ... with all due respect to the original. Well done Tod.

On another note. When Ed Winfield died, I don't believe he had any heirs .... more so, at his time of death, these conversions were considered ancient history. I dunno' if and when he would have maintained the 5 year re-registration required to keep his trademark/trademarks intact. Hard to say ... but there is no telling if anyone else acquired rights to this same group of trademarks in question either.

I do know if one searches trademarks for Model B, or Winfield head, OHV or any combination of Ed Winfield designations ... nothing comes up in the patent office whatsoever. Expired ?? Who knows ??

I know you did all of the design work for the Pond big block Ford stuff ... it sure would look good to have your name within some sort of Winfield inspired marker on the top of the heads, and sides of those blocks. Pretty damned cool pursuit Tod. This whole thing blows me away.