Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Can a "filled" roof be un-filled???????????

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by steve hackel, Jan 13, 2016.

1. steve hackel

steve hackel

I am considering a very nice 5 window that was done in the early 80s and they started with a car that placed at Hershey in the 70s. The fact that the top has been filled is not a deal breaker for me, as the rest of the car is what I have always wanted, but I am wondering if anyone has ever completed this resurrection? o_O I have followed threads that have "un-chopped" something as large as a 2 door and repaired doors that were chopped incorrectly so I will just assume that its possible - I just don't know where to look for pointers & or direction. With an accurate pattern and measurements, the formed metal depressions could be produced on a Pullmax or shaper and then be individually cut into the roof sections and then lots of measuring & fitting of the wood roof sides & bows. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance, Steve :D

2. AnimalAin

AnimalAin

The degree of difficulty depends on how much original structure was left in when the top was filled. If most of it is still intact, it shouldn't be colossally difficult. If you have to start from scratch, you are definitely going to get more bragging rights.

Hnstray likes this.
  3. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

Depends how they did the work. We had a guy on here a while ago who "un filled" a roof that was done in the fifties. Whoever did it, tack welded a piece of metal over the roof with bronze tack welds every 2 or 3 inches then leveled it over with bondo. It was a cinch to grind off the bondo, melt the bronze and pry the tacks loose and discard the filler piece. A little cleanup work with the grinder and it was good as new.

On the other hand if they did what most on this board would call a "good job" they would cut out 3 inches of metal around the opening, form a sheet of steel to fit, MIG or TIG weld in place and grind the seam smooth. Done this way it would be easier to cut the whole roof off and weld on a new roof, than try to restore it.

Unless you know how the roof was done you might better look for a different car. Do they have any pictures from when the roof was done, or would they let you peel back the headliner and look at it from the inside?

Have you considered leaving it the way it is?

4. Any chance you can put the fabric on top of the filler piece?

Charlie Stephens

5. Happydaze

Happydaze
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You could check out Bobby Waldens scrap / discarded parts pile? A buddy successfully saved a 5w with a poorly executed chop utilising a roof section from United Pacific - readily available.
    Chris

Hnstray likes this.
  6. alchemy

alchemy

Are you planning on using an original trim strip around the fabric, or something like Julianos sells? If you need the original trim, then recreate the original edge. If you're going for a more modern trim, just put the padding and fabric over the filled top.

7. x2
    Essentially why not just put a vinyl roof on top of the steel insert?
    That way you get the appearance of a stock roof plus the additional strength of the solid roof.
    And it's far easier than other alternatives.

8. Richard Head

Richard Head

I have unfilled two 3 window roofs. Both were overlapped and most of the structure was left underneath. The 32 that I unfilled was mig welded all the way around. The contour of the insert was so nice I hemmed the edge, had louvers punched in it and reinstalled it with fasteners. My own 33 3 window had been chopped and filled in the 50's. The area where the roof was stretched sunk down and was filled with nearly an inch of lead. Fortunately, it was held in place with brass tack welds, half of them were broken. When I removed the panel, it weighed nearly 50 pounds. The most difficult part was re-creating the tack strip channel where the roof was stretched.
    Dave

9. F-head

F-head

I think Marshall has pullmax dies to make that profile

10. Kiwi 4d

Kiwi 4d
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Julianos top kit may work for you ,it's not 100% original looking but is designed to pop rivet to the body then the cover and hidem strip go on.