Register now to get rid of these ads!

The difference 28-29 30-31 model A

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by pokey, Mar 14, 2011.

1. pokey

pokey

What is the diffeence between a 1928-29 and the 30-31 model A, which one is more usable for a traditional hot rod?

Is the 30-31 closer to the 32 which had a flatty from the factory?

I have my pic of the years and want to pic the right one for my AV8 project.

2. rustydibris

rustydibris

there alot of visual differences between the two. google both and look. I am pretty sure they were flatty 4 cly and the 32 was the first for a v8.

3. Hot Rod Elvis

Hot Rod Elvis

I'm not sure about body differences...other than a slight grill change (I think) but the V8 didn't come about until 1932.

4. As well as the grill, the cowls are quite a bit different!

yruhot likes this.

5. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

6. Ice man

Ice man

28-29 Bodys are not close to 30-31s. Fenders, Splash Aprons, Doors, not even close. But the 29 has always been a favorite to put on a 32 Frame. Iceman

7. the flathead four cylinder went all the way up to 31 in every car, the v8 came out in 32 but did not come in all the cars. As for the body, the cowl has already been mentioned, the firewall sticks into the enginecompartment more in 30 and 31, and as far as i know more body lines were added in 30.

Bagged Chevy

8. pokey

pokey

After veiwing the Mac's antique auto page I now see the difference. The 30-31 is clearly the one for me. The most important feature is the cowl and the way the door fits on a 30-31 I like a flush door with no over lap. I have located half the stuff I need I guess my next question is What year flathead do I want, I would like to get one that has the dist. on the side rather than the one hidden under the fan. Is it ture you can get a plate to change the position of the dist? do you have to change the cam as well?

9. Im no flathead expert, but id go for the best condition one you can find. The dissy out the side is (i think) just an aftermarket drive.
    Im partail to 30 fords myself.

10. deucetruck

deucetruck
    from Missouri

The 30 - 31 door overlaps the body too. Not until '32 did the doors mount flush on cars (later on pickups).

yruhot likes this.
  11. Tank

Tank

All depends on what you like. A 30-31 will have a little more room inside though. Like others said the bodys have LOTS of differences. Im partail to 30-31s myself. But then again theyre what I grew up around. What body style you interested in? Roadster? Deuce rails, or A frame? All in what you like man. They all make good AV8s.

12. pokey

pokey

The 32 rail set up for an 31 A model body, 5 window coupe.I have a line on a 1947 flathead and rear end it has juice brakes.

A guy just called and said he has a 1932 chevy frame. I know this is worthless to me because Chevy did not have a v8 until way late. I do remember some talk of a early chevy v8 however they were all recalled.

I will have to look into a dropped axle and front assembly

13. 47s are good flatheads if in good rebuildable condition, 59ab btw. this is an early one though with the front mounted distributor, the one your thinking of is a 1949-53 8ba flathead. so you want something like mine?.....

.[​IMG]

14. Tank

Tank

Heres a pic of my '30 coupe. Its on A rails, not deuce. Im running a '46 59L engine, '39 toploader trans, MorDrop axle up front, '40 rear out back. '40 brakes, and wheels too.

Attached Files:

15. Kajewski

Kajewski

are the trunk lids the same on 30-31 as 28-29?

16. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

^ And, I heard, the 32 was the same also. Or not? Gary

17. Frank Carey

Frank Carey

Coupla things:
    * 28-29 has a two-piece firewall
    * 4 cyl was continued into 1932 as a Model-B with several changes from Model-A (fuel pump was one). The '32 V8 came out mid-year. 4-cyl was even continued into 1933 but few made. The 1933 is sometimes referred to as Model-C but Ford never used that identifier. The so-called Model-C had a counterbalanced crank - much sought after by the banger crowd.
    * as said above, you want the 49-53 flathead known as 8BA. Or try to find a Mercury engine from those years. The Mercs had a 4-inch crank (more cubes).

18. I like the looks of the 30/31 but the 28/29 has a narrower cowl and doesn't stop as much air. There is actually a tread from last year the really covers it in infinitum.

The 30/31 can have the firewall reversed for more engine room, you gain 3-4" as I recall.

As far as hot rod fodder I am torn there are things that I really like about the 30/31 and there are things that I like better about the 28/29.