Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods 1950 ford f4 project opinions

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 1950fordproject, Jan 9, 2016.

1. 1950fordproject

1950fordproject

Hi guys im new to h.a.m.b., im a 19 year old college student starting on my first rod/ jalopy and was going to get your all's recommendations or opinions, I started with a 1950 ford f4 cab and acquired a 1955 Chevrolet pickup frame with the original 235 power glide trans, and stock rear end, I plan to swap in a 302 what do you all think? I want to try to stay fairly traditional. all input or ideas are greatly appreciated. pics are when I picked cab up

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 9, 2016
  2. oldwood

oldwood
    from arkansas

Keep the RAT out of the Rod and you will get all the info you need. lol

3. King ford

King ford
    from 08302

Hit your edit button QUICKLY and say HOTROD !.....you have a nice cab to start with, with a little fab you could put it on the Chevy frame,... If the 6banger runs yo could use it for a while...nothing wrong with scrounged and cheap but if you take a little pride in your build you can have a fun ride ....welcome to the hamb!.....and we don't say the r-t word!

4. 1950fordproject

1950fordproject

alright post edited without the r word lol, bad choice of words i guess, i am wanting to do a traditonal rod somthing you would have seen back then.

5. You need a rolling F1 chassis, all the front sheetmetal, F1 running boards and bed.

Edit: and F1 rear fenders!

Last edited: Jan 10, 2016
  6. bobj49f2

bobj49f2

I totally agree. A lot easier to start with parts that fit together without major fab work plus mixing Ford and Chevy parts gives me the willies.

7. 55willys

55willys

The only Ford and Chevrolet parts used in a Willys was electrical items in the form of Delco and Autolite. LOL

8. The only Ford and Chevrolet parts used in a Willys was electrical items in the form of Delco and Autolite.
    ...NEVER SAY NEVER...here is a Ford part that not only fits, but is the same as a Willys part (minus the arms for the different doors. The hard piece is from a Willys pass. side door...the piece in the picture( to the left) which is identical, is a picture of a Ford door lock and latch from a Bob Drake catalog. g-willys

Attached Files:

9. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

Let's see your "Powerglide" ....

10. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm another one who believes that you would be a lot better off hunting down an original F-1 rolling chassis or at least an original F 1 short bed frame.
    1. it becomes a lot more of a bolt together project than trying to cobble a frame from another brand under it. That also turns it into an F-1 project truck that has a lot more value than a cobbled together truck project sitting on a Chevy frame if you have to sell it.
    As for the truck it's self put an F -1 nose on it and then either the proper pickup box or build a little flatbed for it That can be real simple on that truck.

11. 302aod

302aod
    from Pelham,Tn.

I put a 64 F100 on an 87F150 frame. it was a lot of trouble putting a newer frame under it, but changing brands sounds like too much work.

12. 1950fordproject

1950fordproject

Thanks for the input guys ive actually found a man who needs a ford f4 cab and has a 51 chevolet cab he says he would trade me so i belive ill trade and put the 51 chevy cab on th chevy frame.

13. Slopok

Slopok

Then don't use the 302 unless you have one from an early Z-28.