Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Another engine ID

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by bchctybob, Jan 8, 2016.

1. bchctybob

bchctybob

I have always liked '56 Chevys. I've had a few over the years, the last was a Nomad that got sacrificed in the late '80s. A buddy decided to thin out his herd and offered me his '56 210 for a decent price so I bit the bullet and bought it. So far it's bitchin'. It has the usual SBC for power and it runs great. He didn't know exactly what it was, so I jotted down the ID numbers and hit up my favorite engine ID website. No matches found. Hmmm.
    The numbers stamped on the pad are 11L129819 and T0118CCC. The block/pad is painted but the numbers are pretty clear. Can anyone tell me what it is? Or direct me to a good Chevy ID website?
    Thanks.

2. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

3. bchctybob

bchctybob

Well, thanks! Not exactly the vintage LT1 I was hoping for but it'll have to do. Thanks again.

Moriarity likes this.
  4. squirrel

squirrel

yeah, the low perf engine of the Chevy V8 line...but like any of them, it'll respond to hot rodding.

volvobrynk likes this.

5. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

They like power pack heads and a mid 70's Z28 spec cam and small 4 barrel though. Basically a stroked 283 with factory parts.

volvobrynk likes this.
  6. squirrel

squirrel

some guys punch them out to 327.....

7. ....and most people use them for boat anchors

FinnishFireball and Texas Webb like this.
  8. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Never saw one that went bad unless the owner/user purposely abused it. Sips gas if not modded too heavy, easy on the wallet, even used in trucks for 6 figure miles without fail. There's a bad thing about them though. Absolutely no "romance" about it since it was a bread n butter engine, but it does have a 327 crank in it.

9. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

It seems to me 307 has been the ugly stepsister of SBC's only because it was introduced in the early days of smog motors and suffered from low performance as a result of the poor cam, carb/ignition specs. But, being an SBC, it should be able to be capable of ordinary SBC virtues with simple upgrades. Is that not true?

Ray

10. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

post pics of your '56 - someone asks what motor it has just say "small block"

11. Speed Gems

Speed Gems

Next time it needs a rebuild bore it out .125 over and tell 'em it's got a 327 in it.

12. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

paging 31vicky...:p

13. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

I have a steel 3.25 lj crank downstairs that came out of a 307 in a Canadian built 1/2 ton pick-up...;)

14. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Absolutely true. It's sort of like hopped up later 305s. They got 350 cranks and you just work around the small bore. Some of those combos will make shocking TQ/HP.

15. I worked in a Chevy dealer and replaced MANY 307 camshafts, blocks, crankshafts (broken) and complete engines due to inferior metals and excessive wear. The 305 is a completely different setup.

16. I like the 307 I have in my '38 Ford pickup, got it for free. Came out of a low mileage '68 GMC pickup that had been used on a farm and was beat up and rusted to pieces. Engine only had about 30,000 on it. The ones in pickups got a better cam, I think, because it is a strong pulling engine. The ones in cars had a nylon tooth cam gear, and they were bad about jumping time and chewing up the nylon gear. A good double roller timing set fixes that. I expected to find the nylon gear when I took the timing cover off, but it had a steel camshaft gear. I did put the new double roller timing set on it since I'd already bought it.

17. pdq67

pdq67

Fwiw, I will step over a 305 while packing a 307 out the door.

It's only because the 307 has a 3-7/8" bore vs the 305 that is a schosh under 3-3/4".

Slightly better breathing and the shorter stroke 307 will rpm a tad easier imho.

pdq67

18. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Ditto, well said sir. I wouldn't build a 305 on a bet, and why would anyone give a shit 50 yrs later if 307s (and 350s, in those years:rolleyes:) had soft cams??

19. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

For the record, I didn't mean to tout the shear brute force (color indicative of excess sarcasm) of a warmed up 305, rather, if those turds can be well built (they can) then a 307 could be considered an even better choice. Sorry about the mistake in context. Carry on yo...