Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods British Columbia plating question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by gearheadbill, Dec 28, 2015.

1. gearheadbill

gearheadbill

Can anyone recommend a chrome plater in BC, Canada? I have used Victoria Plating before with success but looking for someone maybe closer to the US border. The USD/CAD exchange is pretty good right now.

2. Really? It's at about $1.28 to a US dollar right now I wouldn't call that good.

3. Yep, the US $ is enjoying a large premium over the Cdn $ and it likely would benefit you to explore the "cost benefits" of cross-border shopping.........lots of chrome shops locally .........Superior Plating in Cloverdale BC has been getting my business over past several yrs as I finished my avatar 39........my experience is they do 1st class work & charge accordingly, but haven't screwed any pieces up yet........local buds have called around for competitive prices & have found sub-par work elsewhere......FYI Superior's shop is approx 7 mi N of US border crossing at Exit 275 on I-5.....

302GMC and warbird1 like this.
  4. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

I have a load of stuff here to do, 8 '55/'56 lancer flippers, the stick from my syncro-loc, generator case, some olds engine parts, ect. Good timing...

5. desotot

desotot

I used Alberta Platers in Calgary and was happy with the price and quality. One of my customers was headed there and took my stuff, the grill front and rear bumper and over riders for my avatar. Three weeks later they sent it back by bus, it was carefully wrapped and the shipping for the return was only 60 bucks.

6. 19chevy53

19chevy53
    from Nanaimo

I've used superior plating they are out in cloverdale. Seemed to be very reasonable and they've been around for ever

7. gearheadbill

gearheadbill

Thanks for the advice. I'm going up Thursday on other business but will stop Superior in Cloverdale.

Also, as of 8:30 am on Tuesday Dec. 29 2015....$1.00 US dollar buys $1.39 in Canada. Really great exchange right now. Easy to read currency pairs backwards.

8. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

It's good if you are in the US and plan to have plating done in Canada. Or if you have US dollars to spend here in general. :)
    I am longing for the days of the par dollar and fondly remember when the Canadian $ was worth more than the US $.
    Wonder when we might get back there :confused: :)

9. Not so good for your Northern Brothers, no gloating please, hurts our feelings......

10. HaHa I was on my Phone and it didn't show location so I thought he was in Canada looking for someone close to the border on the US side.

11. Deucedreamer

Deucedreamer
    from BC Canada

The dollar is awful right now. I want to buy some parts for my deuce but just can't justify spending 42% more! It used to be that the bank would only charge 2-3% to exchange money...when did it become 10-12%??

I agree with the above...superior plating is probably one of the best around.

12. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Ditto, same here, I have pretty much stopped buying right now, kinda hoping it will turn a bit. I cant remember the last time it was THIS low. I have a US cash account, still using that a bit for cross-border purchases, but man, this is BRUTAL. The low crude price is killing us.

13. gearheadbill

gearheadbill

Ya. I DO feel for you guys in Canada. And I believe it will get worse in 2016. A yet stronger dollar and real weak commodity usage/prices. Again....thanks for the info.

14. Y'er welcome for the info...........don't feel bad for us Canucks as the $ exchange rate does float around.......while I'm not totally up on price differences, a pre-Xmas shopping trip to Bellingham indicated your US prices aren't far off our costs as wife & I came home empty handed.........yep, some big differences but mostly in highly taxed items, gas being one......but at present, your US $$ benefit big time here & we get our ass kicked, so simply don't spend much in US accordingly........ask your US "close to the border" merchants for confirmation.......biggest advantage I find in US is in selection/variety that we may not enjoy here, but that's simply a population issue...........

15. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

One more thing that you will find if you travel far into the US is that prices for a lot of things go down the further south you go.
    Once you get down into Texas and thereabouts you would be amazed how much difference there is from the northern states.
    The exchange hits hard right now to be sure but last summer the month we spent in Texas was quite enjoyable.

16. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

But it does make it tough to buy car parts...:( I see some conditions on the horizon that could affect the current exchange rate in our favour, but if we start talking about that too much, the thread will get closed.