Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Buick Brakes 45 Fin, Backing Plate Help

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by GearheadsQCE, Dec 22, 2015.

1. GearheadsQCE

GearheadsQCE
    Alliance Vendor

Hey guys,
    I'm building a Quickchange for a customer that wants to use his 45 fin Buick drums on it. What I'm trying to determine is what is the best backing plate/brake to use. I have been unable to determine the bolt pattern and center hole diameter of the original Buick backing plates. If this was the same as an available housing end, it would be ideal. If not, what are the alternatives?
    I have read many posts here about adapting the Buick drums to old Ford ('40s) brakes, but this is not what I'm trying to do. I see that Ford F2 and F250 brakes are the same diameter (12"). I'm sure there are others. I think what I need is a 12" X 2 1/2" brake that will bolt on to one of the housing ends in the diagram below. I don't mind doing a little modification and fitting but would like something that was at least close.
    The more common the better!

FLANGE-DIAGRAM001.jpg

Any help would be truly appreciated.
    Bruce

2. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

I've done several with the M/T Lincoln rear brakes to match Lincoln fronts with Buick drums. I buy them with the late Ford/Torino big brg pattern. Not the most economical but they work. Can't find my sheet that tells the brg offset but I think it was about 3 1/8 th?

Bill Nabors likes this.
  3. Pewsplace

Pewsplace

bbpr.jpg
    I do them all the time. I use the Buick 12" backing plates, redrill the backing plates to match the 9" axle bearing hole pattern. They don't quite match as I recall. I use the new 9" ends for a jig. The inside diameter of the Buick backing plate is slightly smaller and need a quick filing or disc grinder. Very carefully enlarge the hole so the bearing slides through easily. The backing plate has the same bearing offset as the axle ends I use (Ductchman). All work completed in about 1 hour including trimming the water ring to look nice.
    backingp.jpg
    Here is the finished product with ring trimmed.

IMG_0107.jpg
    Dutchman made the axle to fit the stock Buick register on the drum.
    bbp.jpg
    Here is the tumbled plate ready to bolt on. The plates run $50 around here and are from the 60's big Buicks (rear)
    bdrum.jpg
    I enlarged the center diameter to the large bearing size 3.150 by hand. Dutchman has these specs under Pewsplace.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2015
    bct likes this.
  4. Pewsplace

Pewsplace

Here are the plates as received from Buick Masters. 1957 Buick big car 12". They take some work but are a lot less expensive than MT Products.
    $_57-1.jpg

5. GearheadsQCE

GearheadsQCE
    Alliance Vendor

Krylon, thanx for that. I'm a little bleary eyed right now, what does M/T mean?

Lynn, I should have known you had this answer. You use the Torino end too?

6. GearheadsQCE

GearheadsQCE
    Alliance Vendor

Lynn,
    I was typing when you were adding the second post. It looks like the backing plates may actually bolt on to Olds housing ends. Do you have the bolt pattern dimensions? I need to order housing ends anyway. Olds or Ford same price. Both use the same bearing, 3.151".

7. Pewsplace

Pewsplace

No, I use the Dutchman ends $100 for the early 9" housing with 1/2 holes. I don't recall the stock Buick bolt pattern but I changed it to fit the ends for the big bearing.
    billet_housing_ends2_2_1.jpg
    These are the ones I use now and love the ease of installation with an alignment bar.

hsgends.jpg
    For some builds I used to purchase these take offs from Currie.

hsgends9.jpg
    I used to use this style with the register but Dutchman advised me when using an alignment bar theirs was the best way to ensure straightness. I have done them without a bar without any problems.

8. Rand Man

Rand Man

I'm interested in this front and rear.

9. uncle buck

uncle buck

look here..

http://www.mtcarproducts.com/about.html

10. neilswheels

neilswheels
    from England

Hi Bruce, very interested in this thread, I'm looking at doing probably the same thing as you. I've a v8 Qc center, want to run ford bells, but it will need narrowing to get the 8 inch Kidneys under the 40 fenders. Because it will need narrowing, I've been looking at running 9 inch shafts because they are so readily available, and was going to run ford ends, but want to run Buick drums, so this may well be the answer. Will you be posting 'build' pics/updates, as I would be really interested in seeing what you do.

11. GearheadsQCE

GearheadsQCE
    Alliance Vendor

I'm doing a customer rear with Buick drums. It may be awhile before I get to that stage. We are sending the castings out for polishing. When we get those back and have the center done, I'll get to finishing the trumpets. I'll post picks if you like.

12. Some 49-54 Lincolns had 12 inch rear brakes. They will bolt to a big bearing 9' ford rear end flange...