Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Whitewall Tyre Stains

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Cadabra, Dec 26, 2015.

1. Cadabra

Cadabra

2. It's the 5 spokes rejecting white walls.

Chili Phil, dan31, loudbang and 6 others like this.
  3. unkledaddy

unkledaddy

loudbang likes this.
  4. ol-nobull

ol-nobull

Hi. Are these tires recently installed. When they put them on the rims they swab the tire with a soap to make them slip over the rims easier. Often that soap does just what you are seeing. The soap dries but just stays there & when you get them wet the centrifical force of the tires spinning moves the soap out.
    I am using the word soap but it may not be soap, just looks like liquid soap.
    Very common to see this.
    Jimmie

loudbang likes this.

5. Try spraying Greased Lightning on the white wall and let it set just a few minutes,then use a wet stiff bristle brush and just wipe it around the white wall and then rinse,should look good but if there are any stubborn stains left just spray the greased lightning again and use the scrub brush. HRP

loudbang and dad-bud like this.
  6. BTW,I see your spelling of tyre indicates you are not in the States or you are not a native of the states.

You should fill out your profile and it wouldn't hurt to post a introduction in the appropriate area of the hamb. HRP

7. LOU WELLS

LOU WELLS
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from IDAHO

Maybe he is from the USA but he is 113 years old...

8. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

Australia - they have "different" stains down there

9. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

Australian stains are indeed different. Just as water going down the drain swirls in the opposite direction in the Southern Hemisphere those tyre stains are actually starting at the outside edge of the whitewall and tracking towards the rim.

loudbang and The G00SE like this.
  10. unkledaddy

unkledaddy

Maybe he wants to remain anonymous, which is OK by me.

11. LMFAO!

12. johnale

johnale
    from Melbourne

If you are in Australia, hit up antique tyres website, they have whitewall cleaner that works a treat, I had stains like above on some firestones, put their cleaner on wait a minute then pressure wash off, came up line new! Would not use anything but this now!

http://antiquetyresonline.com.au/whitewall-cleaner/

Cheers
    John

loudbang likes this.
  13. Lebowski

Lebowski
    BANNED

Do you have SOS pads in Australia? If so use them because they work great. Good luck....

loudbang likes this.
  14. Two words...Simple Green. Spray on, wipe off. Done.

15. e z i

e z i

:D

16. As for the 5 spokes rejecting the whitewalls that's just a personal choice not what you asked for?? I find the mothers branded tyre and wheel cleaner works best and is ready available at most auto parts stores here in Australia if that helps you...

17. dad-bud

dad-bud

I use an abrasive household cleaner called Gumption applied with a stiff brush and plenty of elbow grease, then hose it off.
    It gets the whitewalls gleaming.

18. In fact, the OP is asking why it's happening, not how to clean them!

I thought my suggestion was reasonable.:D

Chili Phil and loudbang like this.
  19. Cadabra

Cadabra

Hi all
    Filled in some profile Info, Hope that helps
    as X38 says I am looking for ideas on the cause of the the stains rather than what to use for cleaning them.
    Before these wheels I had 15 x 7 Chrome steel smoothies with 3" whites they did exactly the same thing for 3 years, 18 months ago I changed to these 17" American racing wheels and 2" whitewalls have had the same problem whenever they get wet the stains show up on the whitewall. I was thinking Ol-nobull might have hit the nail on the head, But would the Soap or whatever still be dissolving after such a long period. Maybe it's the black rubber bleeding thru at the rims any ideas how to fix it.

20. dan31

dan31

I think its just brake dust,dirt,ect that gets caught down under the lip of the rim where the tire and rim meet. When you drive it ,it flings out causing those stains. Spray a bunch of simple green around the whole rim and let it sit for a minute then really hose off well.

21. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

I thought I had explained why it was happening very clearly. LOL

X38 likes this.