Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest George Barris signature?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ACO.OG, Dec 15, 2015.

1. ACO.OG

ACO.OG

Need some help here fellas.

Authentic or not? If it's authentic, I'll save it. Otherwise I'll be painting over it!

Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. Doesn't look anything like the one I got from him.

3. Dont look like mine sorry but its on a model kit so who knows

4. KoolKat-57

KoolKat-57
    from Dublin, OH

LIKE MANY OF US HIS SIGNATURE EVOLVED OVER TIME.[​IMG]
    May be real, maybe not.
    KK

5. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

6. PostwarModernist

PostwarModernist

Looks legit it depends on the year like many artists his signature changed many times over the years

7. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

Clear the dash, and "assume" it's legit. If it's not, so what, if it is, it's preserved. It's just "his' signature, it's not like he built your car, right? I know my own hand writing has changed quite a bit over time. I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

loudbang likes this.
  8. rod1

rod1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Be careful with clearing it.Many clears will lift the "permanent marker".We wont get into how I know....

loudbang likes this.
  9. ACO.OG

ACO.OG

I was planning on just getting another dash and hanging this up. The date says 6-5-2006 or 8. It's a bit faded so can't make out the last number.

10. woodiewagon46

woodiewagon46
    from New York

If you feel that strongly about it, there are people that can authenticate it for you. Several years ago my wife and I were checking out the outdoor exhibits at Barrett Jackson, Scottsdale and I heard a beeping sound. All of a sudden a golf cart backed up and hit my wife's leg. The driver got out and was very concerned. When the passenger got out I recognized Carol Shelby. After he made sure my wife was OK I said to him, "Mr. Shelby, I wish I knew you would be here, I have a friend with a Shelby Mustang that he would like you to autograph the glove box". Mr. Shelby then replied, "have him sign it himself, just like everybody else does". I said "what do you mean". He replied, "son ( I was 60 years old at the time), If I signed every glove box, air cleaner, radiator shroud and console that has my signature on it my arm would have fallen off". His aide said that his autograph is the most forged car related autograph out there. He gave me his business card and said "send the glove box to my attention and I will take care of it". My jackass friend never took him up on the offer.

11. aaggie

aaggie

If you ever bought a house and sat down at the table and signed you name about a hundred times you notice that page one and page one hundred are not even close. Signatures depend a lot on whether or not you are bent over signing a dash top or reaching in to sign the underside of a hood. Even if you turn the dash into wall art you will have to explain to todat's kids who George Barris was.

dana barlow likes this.
  12. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

Also curved surface, along with awkward position...VERY hard to judge because of that.

13. Muffy Bennett

Muffy Bennett
    from Arizona

I have the #1 Batmobile on my sales floor, with all the docs and provenance that accompanies it, and had a thumb through it all today.

I have to agree with many here; signatures change over the years, especially on different objects.

God knows I am far from a handwriting expert.

All this being said, whenever I asked (begged) for a piece to be autographed on a car I was flipping back in the day, I always took a photo (or ten) of it being done, because of this very reason.

Signatures don't bring much to the table from a monetary/value standpoint, especially if unverified....but they *are* cool conversation starters.

Proceed accordingly....

dana barlow and loudbang like this.
  14. ACO.OG

ACO.OG

Thanks for that!

I'm just trying to see if it justifies searching out a new dash to replace this one and the signature one as a wall hanger.