Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Heater control valve

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 1oldtimer, Dec 20, 2015.

1. Odd question since I have never done it before. I'm going to use a cable operated universal heater control valve that has a flow arrow on it. I looked inside and it does have a slight difference when opened and closed on each side. Question is, are these things really directional or will it work fine either way (flow wise).

[​IMG]

2. BJR

BJR

Why not hook it up to a garden hose and see how it works in both directions.

dan c and '51 Norm like this.
  3. 29moonshine

29moonshine

it will work either way . if you install it in the right way it will shut off better

loudbang likes this.
  4. X 2 what moonshine said.

5. Using that valve on my avatar, does well.

loudbang likes this.
  6. Inked Monkey

Inked Monkey

Do you get these things at the parts store? I need one.

7. Bugguts

Bugguts

Do you get these things at the parts store? I need one.[/QUOTE]

It looks just like the valve on a 66 Ford F100. The Ford truck catalogs have them.

8. mcmopar

mcmopar
    from Strum, wi

Only because I don't know. Where in the heater hose does it go, and what is the benefit?

9. put in the heater hose to keep heat out of the passenger compartment in the summer months.

10. Ok, as a plan B I found a heater hose with a 180° bend. So either way I can get the cable to work correctly and have it shut off fully (it gets warm during summer).

Thanks everyone

11. just put it on the other hose

12. The core is under the hood and the other hose is nowhere near the cable. I have to replace the hoses anyhow, the original valve was an "L" shape which is no longer made. The better replacement is the straight one, so a 180° bend is needed either way I use it.

Mainly need the heat for defrost as the car is going to sit outside and driven daily.

13. 56premiere

56premiere
    from oregon

I went to napa and they actually had a catalog with quite a few choices. I have 2 heaters in my Lincoln and needed 2 different ones.

14. Andamo

Andamo

I don't know if this is the case with this valve or not, but most valves are set up so that the inlet side of the flow goes to the seat first and then to the outlet side. By putting the valve the other way, the flow and pressure goes against the packing first. It will work this way, but it might start leaking sooner. Since it has a directional arrow, I'd pipe it in that way.

loudbang likes this.
  15. mcmopar

mcmopar
    from Strum, wi

tb33anda3rd, thanks, so where is the best spot for the crossover? I know before the heater core.

16. Mike51Merc

Mike51Merc

Butterfly valves are directional because one way they'll blow the valve open, the other way they'll blow the valve closed.

Andamo likes this.
  17. If it's going on a SBC it goes in the hose from the intake.

18. V8 Bob

V8 Bob
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

This style valve is available with flow either direction, depending on whether you want to push or pull the cable to open or close the valve. Found mine on E--y.

19. It's going on the Studebaker with the stock setup, it's the same valve (Napa one) as they sell in the SI catalog.
    31Vicky, that's pretty close to the stock one but at $140.

This hose will keep the valve inline with the cable, keep the flow correct and point it back towards the engine.
    [​IMG]

20. Drbrown

Drbrown

Have one on my '47 for decades. Your decision: Do you want the knob on cable control sticking out into passenger compartment when it is "off" ? or pushed all the way in when "Off" ? How you install the valve affects that ? It can be installed in either direction and when "Shut" will prevent hot water from circulating thru heater core in summer. Install in heater hose between core and lower passenger side radiator hose using a heater hose adapter these.

loudbang likes this.
  21. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

If there is a direction on the valve I would go by that. If not it doesn't matter. Chrysler used a similar valve for years, thru the 70s and 80s on most of their vehicles. Cost about $20.

22. jazz1

jazz1

I was at pick a part and took one off a honda car.. It was located top of engine bay, easy access and being honda quality it never going to seize. I gave buddy a $1.00 for it

23. Cosmo49

Cosmo49

NO picture, no year, no help other than Honda car.

24. jazz1

jazz1

25. Cosmo49

Cosmo49

Jazz1, thanks for the link, looks like a good valve, I wish it had an on board capture point for the control cable.