Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Official 2016 Meltdown Drags Thread - What are you doing to get ready?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Okiedoker, Nov 23, 2015.

1. Okiedoker

Okiedoker
    from Wisconsin

Dog_Patch likes this.
  2. Saxxon

Saxxon

With the Canadian dollar skydiving into the toilet the way it is - it doesn't look like I'll be making any drastic changes this season. Might not be a bad thing come to think of it...

The current Cdn $$ is trading at .71 US. The lowest it's been in like 15 years. And with the banks gouging on the exchange the $1100 US I spent on fuel and a comfy place to stay, will cost me $1600 + Cdn at today's rate.

Let's be honest here... this puts the whole trip into question. Might have to check out of the Fairfield Inn from last year and head back to the Rockford Motel which is less than 1/2 the cost. I'm sure the body shaped chalk lines in the lobby are barely visible by now. The bedbug treatment tends to fade that stuff pretty fast. At least it's not as bad as the Howard Johnson's across the lane

3. Its those 8 notorious fuel leaking vacuum leaks sitting on top I'm worried about. He's gonna need a swear word almanac, and a miniature chrome plated hammer to keep those suckers all singing the same song!

4. the eight deuce setup looks cool. i really like the chrome bells on top. i ran one for years with great success. a air fuel gauge will be your friend. as far as the leaking go easy on the ford designed carbs the top covers don't like to be tightened down too much. they warp easy. they can be tapped back straight and filed flat. use the extra thick gaskets.

5. Use low fuel psi too? 2-3 psi

6. with dick crawford floats along with his needle and seats the pressure can be as high as 6lbs. he also has externally adjustable jets. it makes life so much easier when the whole setup doesnt need to come apart for a jet change. i used a angle gauge on all the arms to make sure they were all set the same. i also used a level side to side running across the linkage. if the engine idles too high get rid of the stock butterflies. the stockers dont have a bevel cut into them. the crawford butterflies are cut at 13 degrees. they dont stick. using the longest arm possible connecting to the throttle pedal really helps control the rpms driving around. carry a few extra floats with you. having a spare saved me a few times.

loudbang likes this.
  7. 62Furious

62Furious

Don't know a thing about blowers with multi carbs, But that Austin is a cool looking ride.

8. I visited in 2014 as a spectator and stayed at the Red Roof Inn. While attempting to check-in, no one was attending the check-in counter. I stood there for several minutes waiting and my mind started to wonder......"Have I just entered this lobby shortly after a robbery?" "Is the attendant lying in a pool of their own blood?" "Should I get the f#<k out of here, before I become the next victim?" It was down right scary! 'Wallanda' finally came back from plunging a toilet and graciously accepted my credit card. I survived that stay, but let's just say I'm looking for a little nicer place if I come back this year.

loudbang likes this.
  9. i think i saw that place on a episode of cops a while back. last year i stayed at a place by the airport. it was ok. my friend who stayed with me was a little surprised at the fire power i had just incase. i have had trouble at hotels before so i dont take any chances now. sig sauers are my prefered choice.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2015
    loudbang and Chucky like this.
  10. Tickety Boo

Tickety Boo
    from Wisconsin

Talk to Scott

Last year he and Dad rented a camper ( on the grounds )

You wont miss out on any of the fun, but you might have trouble cutting a good
    light next day. :oops: :rolleyes:

11. wrenchbender

wrenchbender

I've stayed at the Howard Johnson the last couple years hell its only $40 per night and the room was clean had a hot shower good a/c and all my shit was still in my truck every morning so I call that a win

powrshftr likes this.
  12. 4406

from Oklahoma

Ric, he should run dual Quadrajets.....LOL

Ray

II FUNNY likes this.
  13. Saxxon

Saxxon

Trust me folks - we've investigated a lot of the hotels and accommodations. The Rockford was fine for my brother and I. Hot water, comfy bed, AC - you know - the basics. The Ho -Jo across the street had a couple of yelling matches and fist fights at 1am and I'm sure there was a cop car parked out front the entire time we were there in the first 3 years.

The experts are calling for the Canadian exchange to drop as low as 1.50 US. That's just to swallow. We'll be there regardless... maybe it means we stuff more paying bodies in the truck and hotel room to share the costs.

30dodgeboy likes this.
  14. ...check out this nice lil motel in Oregon, Illinois only 15 minutes from the track a nice scenic veiw on either side of the Rock River whichever way you go,...the Chateau Lodge, several racers stay there....
    http://chateaulodge.com/

loudbang likes this.
  15. powrshftr

powrshftr

It all went downhill when a couple of MDA guys came ripping up to the door of the camper in a golf cart screaming "YOU GOTTA TRY THIS!!!!"

"This" turned out to be a jar of moonshine (pretty sure it was graciously provided by Tony).
    For this of you who don't know,I don't drink.Theres a reason for that.I tend to get pretty goofy (more than usual),so I just steer clear.
    Well after gulping down a generous portion of that smoooooooth beverage (my compliments to the chef!),I proceeded to drag my Dad back up to the front,and smash back a bunch of beers with Steve L,his Dad (what a fantastic guy),AJ,Paul,and a bunch of other folks.....I think the Meltdown will now officially be my "Off the Wagon" weekend once a year.lol!

I love you guys like Brothers.Cant wait to make the trip back there this year.:)

Scott

16. Sounds like Racer X has got this "8 tiny Drain Deer" setup Sorted out, I would follow his lead on this one.

17. Marc & I feel some of your pain Dave, after spending over $2000 in fuel there & back, I'm moving closer!

18. stealthcruiser

stealthcruiser

Did he use lots of teflon tape on those carbs?..............;)

19. stealthcruiser

stealthcruiser

Forgot to say, that "Ric Head" has a nice ring to it.............:D

20. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

I think Piston Head Ric would be like it.

stealthcruiser likes this.
  21. Its Richard Cranium!

22. I actually know a guy named Rick Head

23. II FUNNY

II FUNNY

I have a long way to go, but this will be there... ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1450500206.563445.jpg

24. Tickety Boo

Tickety Boo
    from Wisconsin

View attachment 3085118
    Very Nice

Cragars and a Big Block in a 55 (very Cool) :cool:

Update on my bent axle tubes. :eek:

Put a 6 ft long 1/4 inch cold rolled round shaft with spacers to check how far the tubes need to come back.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2015
  25. Tickety Boo

Tickety Boo
    from Wisconsin

12 bolt 5.jpg 12 bolt 4.jpg 12 bolt 7.jpg 12 bolt 8.jpg

loudbang, Dog_Patch and 30dodgeboy like this.
  26. powrshftr

powrshftr

The guy that did my valve job is named Dave Dickout.....True story.

27. powrshftr

powrshftr

Holy crap Norb!

You tweaked those tubes but good!!!

Scott

28. 62Furious

62Furious

II funny you and your crew have a long way to go, the best of luck to ya.

Norb I hope you plan on an axle brace on the next one, I hope you can get it straighten out.

Dog_Patch likes this.
  29. Hey Norb - was that axle checked for straightness after all that welding was done on it?

30. cool... although the name of the "tuner" name is cooler!

powrshftr likes this.