Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Mouse Nest Dried Stain Removal

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by MrCreosote, Dec 17, 2015.

1. MrCreosote

MrCreosote
    from USA

Nothing like finding mouse nests in a car you just bot!

Some areas of the cloth seats have stains and the window stick in the glove box has a nice brown area on it.

I actually tried simply water irrigation on receipts in the glove box and I was surprised how much could be removed with just water.

The process that will probably work the best is to lightly moisten, let the enzymes work, then blot off. I also have a web carpet cleaner with the hand wand for furniture.

Internet articles said to talk to vets for products. This is what I found from them (I called about 4, 2 had recommendations:)
    • Urine Off - recommended by one vet, mentioned by another
    • Equilizer - recommended by one veterinarian over Urine Off
    I also found a product used by a professional rat removal company:
    • Bac-A-Zap - has dormant bacteria spores that begin growing when they come in contact with food.
    I'm trying to avoid going to Wal or Pets Mart and get ineffective consumer products. Tractor Supply may have some better stuff.

EDIT: Like where do you buy Oil Spill Digesting Bacteria? (!)

Last edited: Dec 17, 2015
  2. Interesting info.

3. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

Re: oil spill digesting bacteria. There is a video by a mycologist (mushroom scientist) who has a mushroom that eats oil. Will see if I can find the video.

Later.....
    Not the video I was looking for but tells the same story. Paul Stamets on decontaminating diesel soaked soil from a bus garage storage yard using oyster mushrooms.

Another experiment after an oil spill in San Francisco

Stamets web site http://www.fungi.com/about-paul-stamets.html

Last edited: Dec 17, 2015
  4. Marv64

Marv64

5. Marv64

Marv64

I would use Hydrogen Peroxide. You know how that reacts to blood and body fluids. When it quits bubbling rinse with water.

6. indyjps

indyjps

If I found mice nests in an interior, the whole interior would be getting removed, headliner too.
    Its a big job, but getting sick isn't worth it.

I learned the hard way, was working in a lumber yard tearing out old racking, the next day 104 fever, had to go to hospital and get dunked in an ice bath, permanent scarring in my lungs. The dust from bird shit did it.

Animal shit especially rodents will mess you up.

7. Very true ^^^^^.

8. MrCreosote

MrCreosote
    from USA

I use a respirator when I touch anything or when cleaning. And the dust is a definite The pro rodents in the attic reclaimers do the clean up then they fog the area with the Bac-A-Zap. I do have a fogger.

Yes, to hydrogen peroxide too I think.

The method would be to apply agent and then wick out. Do not want agent to transport the urea to new areas. (I can even see little crystals of urea on the surface of stained paper. I took organic chemistry in college and if you ever worked in an organic lab, well, they can really stink.)

I have a medical bore scope that I'm going to use to look behind all interior panels and if I find anything, I'll remove.

Removing trim panels is a real problem because they use plastic barb fasteners that you basically have to break to remove. And they are probably no longer available in the size and color.​

The mushroom spores thing was amazing! But they could really threaten the politically correct boondoggle environmental cleanup racket.

I do know how to kill just about every living entity in the car: para-formaldehyde mildewcide bags which outgases formaldehyde. They even refer to this as a biocide. Kills even viruses.

What is very interesting is that this is not viewed as a method to eliminate a home contaminated with mildew. I had one in FL and totally nuked the place, 3 bags in each room, ceiling fans on, furnace to 90. Came back from work and when I opened the door, the fumes "took the air out of my lungs." I smiled because I knew the mildew was dead. Took a couple hours to air the house out and it was squeaky clean afterwards.
    I wonder what is under the rear seat...

9. MrCreosote

MrCreosote
    from USA

No progress yet, but I was wondering what bacteria are in the septic and cesspool bacteria treatments. I think there are 3 different blends of bacteria. They do consume cellulose (paper) but they might consume just about everything actually.