Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods The Belly Button Bucket Build Thread

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Tim_with_a_T, Dec 2, 2015.

1. Tim_with_a_T

Tim_with_a_T

You already know this, but for those that don't, that's "Lightning Bug", which Norm Grabowski built, then later turned into the "Kookie Kar". I would dare to say that you're right about that car pulling off wires and ww's.

volvobrynk likes this.
  2. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

Yes and between you and me; I don't like the kookie Kar that much! :rolleyes:But love the lightning bug!

Please don't tall anybody, they may dislike me for it :p;)

Hackerbilt and Tim_with_a_T like this.
  3. Hackerbilt

Hackerbilt

Funny you say that, because I feel the same way about the Lightning Bug over the Kookie Kar...although I certainly don't hate the latter version...just prefer the first!
    I think it comes down to Norm realizing that to make the car his ticket into the movies he needed to have something that stands out on a 2 dimensional movie screen, and that required some over the top changes to the original car.

The Milner coupe being another example of over the top styling "working" on the screen, but maybe not so much in the flesh, as well as a good number of other cars in different movies!

Sometimes the movie or the car becomes a major icon and as a result influences current real world design.
    There is no denying that the Kookie Kar version did exactly that and basicly created the fad T as a result!!!
    A hard act to follow for sure....;)

4. bengeltiger

bengeltiger

Great thread, I appreciate the organized manner and detail you've provided. This will be a resource for many builds to come.

Tim_with_a_T likes this.
  5. Kiwi Tinbender

Kiwi Tinbender

Uh...What now? Visual proof? Sheeesh.....Glad I could help,Tim.Keep it going.....:rolleyes::D

Tim_with_a_T likes this.
  6. Tim_with_a_T

Tim_with_a_T

Ok, sorry this update took so long. My eyeballs feel like they're stuck to my eye sockets....queue the boring voice guy in the "Clear Eyes" commercials. I have brought the ENGINE posting to its current state in time. Thanks to any and all following along.

7. AndersF

AndersF

Dont sweat the "not era correct" thing to much.
    After all it is a hotrod and not a museums item you build.
    Dont get me wrong becouse i love era correct hotrods but its
    not nessesary to make a great build.
    And there was some builds in the 50:s to early 60:s that have wires to.
    I can look out for some in the mags and scan if you want.

volvobrynk and Tim_with_a_T like this.
  8. great job!!

Tim_with_a_T likes this.
  9. Tim, I really dig every bit of the build. So nice to see a T-BUCKET thats not going to be a T-BUCKET ! The only thing I see that may be a bit of an issue (someone correct me if I'm wrong) is that youre PVC valve is installed backwards. They are designed to work with vacuum and in its present configuration it may not work right. Other than that, I'm in awe, I have been wanting to build a small roadster for some time now. Keep on keepin on !! Mitch.

Tim_with_a_T likes this.
  10. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

I think that is correct, (the PCV being backwards) It looks that way to me.
    Interesting idea having it mounted below the manifold however I really think that particular PCV is meant to draw from the threaded end into the hose.
    The way you have it mounted it will be closed when the vacuum pulls.
    I'd also be concerned about excessive oil consumption with that system, pulling in oil from the lifter gallery.
    Correct us if we are wrong. :)

Tim_with_a_T likes this.
  11. If it is a mid '60s Chev (V-100 or equivelent) PCV valve (which it looks like) it was originally screwed into the carb base, so it would flow in the right direction. I guess I would be more concerned with #8 running lean.

Tim_with_a_T likes this.
  12. Tim_with_a_T

Tim_with_a_T

Anders,
    I would love to see a few hot rods with wires. When you get a chance to get them scanned, you can post them here if you want. Kind of curious to see what they looked like; my vintage magazine stash is admittedly limited. Thanks for the support on the build, too. Appreciate it. Keep doing the excellent job you're doing with your coupe!

13. Tim_with_a_T

Tim_with_a_T

RICH B,

You are correct; the PCV is a V-100, so the original application threaded into the carburetor base, and the nipple end was connected via hose to a valve cover. So, the flow of vapor goes from nipple end to threaded end, and the engine vacuum will suck it open as designed.

You are also possibly correct about #8 running lean. I see no evidence from that after the break-in and about a half hour of idling on the engine stand, but at WOT there may be an issue. I can either jet the rear carburetor up to compensate, or just one side of that carburetor to compensate if necessary... but only time will tell :)

As far as excessive oil consumption due to being located in the valley rather than a rocker, I don't think that will be an issue. The lifter valley never gets pumped full of oil, and any oil saturated vapors should collect in my currently non-existent baffle system. I will definitely report back with any success or failures I encounter so we are all on the same page here.

Thanks for the comments and discussion/feedback. It's greatly appreciated. Lots of things I did on this car I wasn't sure / still am not sure they would work or not, and the PCV valve was one of them. It seems to be working fine for now, but... time will tell... And then I'll tell you.... I'll get to work on the transmission post now...

14. You do need a baffle. You'd be amazed at how much oil any decent vacuum can suck without a baffle. It's not going to empty your pan in half an hour or anything, but just assume you will need a baffle.

Tim_with_a_T likes this.
  15. Tim_with_a_T

Tim_with_a_T

Thank you X38; that is kinda what I was thinking also. I honestly don't remember why I didn't put a baffle in there initially, but I do know I was eager to get the engine going, so maybe I just planned on adding it when I pulled the intake off for polishing. I've been scheming all day on my baffle design - trying to keep it simple and functional. I'll be sure to post the pictures here when I get to it (it will most likely be awhile on that project though as I need to finish the frame stuff, rear suspension stuff, and transmission stuff before I'm back on engine stuff).

16. Tim_with_a_T

Tim_with_a_T

I was able to bring the TRANSMISSION post to current status in time. It's rather brief because I'm undecided on a lot of it, but I will add to it when I have significant updates.

17. 32viper

32viper

Great build. I love the front suspension. Hot rods (notice I didn't say T bucket) don't need to have the front wheels six damn feet ahead of the car. Your car is a hot rod of the sixties. I love it.

Tim_with_a_T likes this.
  18. AndersF

AndersF

This one is from june 58.
    The cool thing is that its not a budgetbuild.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 16, 2015
  19. Tim_with_a_T

Tim_with_a_T

Anders,

Thanks for posting that article feature. That's a neat T roadster for sure! I'm digging the firewall gauges....

AndersF likes this.
  20. bengeltiger

bengeltiger

Great update!

Tim_with_a_T likes this.
  21. AndersF

AndersF

Some more pictures.
    I think this is all i have in my magasines.
    Its maybe 100 magasines spanning from 1950-62.

The first one was a wery small picture but i think it looks like Fordwires.
    From Custom Rodder November 1957.
    [​IMG]

Next one is from Rod&Custom october 1960.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

And the last is from Rod&Custom october 1957.

[​IMG]

Tim_with_a_T, volvobrynk and brad2v like this.
  22. woodhawg

woodhawg
    1. S.F.C.C.

Very detailed and interesting build documentation. One of the best I have read. Enjoyed your front brake ideas. What scoop did you use? Would like to do that kind of upgrade to my brakes.

Tim_with_a_T and volvobrynk like this.
  23. tricky steve

tricky steve
    from fenton,mo.

wow ,very nice !! lots of attention to detail, this thing is awesome !!!
    only thing i see you goofed, is putting the PCV valve on #8 runner. It will have a lean miss no matter what you do. you would want to pull the PCV valve from a common area in the intake so the controlled vacuum leak, that is the PCV valve, will pull air evenly from all the cylinders, hope that helps !!
    awesome car !!

Tim_with_a_T and loudbang like this.
  24. Tim_with_a_T

Tim_with_a_T

Woodhawg,

Thanks for the kind words. I purchased the scoops on ebay. I didn't see any currently for sale on there, though; so, I dug through my receipts and found the ebay invoice. Turns out the seller is a hot rod shop that has a website. Here's a link to the scoops: http://www.geneshotrodparts.com/product/1000087

25. Tim_with_a_T

Tim_with_a_T

Tricky Steve,

You are absolutely right. It needs to be plumbed to a port that will feed each cylinder. How I have it set up now, at idle and low rpm, it wouldn't be too much of an issue, but I'm afraid #8 cyl. wouldn't be too happy in the upper rpm. I've been scheming of a way to solve this problem without adding a lot of clutter on top. So far, I have 2 ideas, both of which will need the intake pulled to verify anything further. Thanks for your kind words and PCV education.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2015
  26. rooman

rooman

[​IMG]
    Interesting that the caption notes that this is one of the "oldest rods around" (in late 1960) as this car is still around and in EXACTLY the same form. Isky began the build prior to WW II and has never restored the car. I think that it may have a new set of tires now but otherwise it is just as it was in that photo (paint, upholstery and all), 55 years later.
    [​IMG]

brad2v, Tim_with_a_T and AndersF like this.
  27. Tim_with_a_T

Tim_with_a_T

All right, Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to all! I spent some time typing tonight, which almost catches me up to current state on this project, which means I'm not going to have many excuses to not work on the car soon!

I was able to bring the following posts to current state:

PLUMBING (post 11)

ELECTRICAL
    (post 12)

INSTRUMENTATION
    (post 13)

UPHOLSTERY (post 14)

Thanks again to any and all following along. I'll try to get this beast to current before the weekend.

brad2v and AndersF like this.
  28. Tim_with_a_T

Tim_with_a_T

I was able to bring the following posts to current state:

WINDSHIELD/TOP (post 16)

Thanks again to any and all following along. This brings the project to current state (more or less). From here on out, I have no choice but to head over to the garage in my free time and do some work if I want to update posts!

brad2v and dana barlow like this.
  29. AndersF

AndersF

Very nice propotion on that top. Looks killer.

Tim_with_a_T and brad2v like this.
  30. brad2v

brad2v

Yessir!! Great looking hot rod. You make fantastic use of the "roll it outside and stare at it a while" time to make changes. And as the info is getting plugged in, I love how you've set up the build thread.

Tim_with_a_T and AndersF like this.