Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Early Ford Bronco 9" rear end

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by corndog, Dec 14, 2015.

1. corndog

corndog
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Indiana

I went to buy some firewood last night in the rain and discovered the seller had three junker early (66-77) Ford Broncos sitting close to the wood piles. In the small talk I asked about the Broncos and he said he had a bunch of other parts including a couple complete rear ends. I asked what he wanted for one and he said $200 each. I know these used to be popular with hot rodders, and I know they are relatively narrow and I know they have large Ford bolt pattern. But I have never bought one before so I dont know value. I tryed researching it here on the HAMB with no luck and also on ebay with no results. Whats the going rate for an early Bronco rear end? Thanks for any help! CD

2. squirrel

squirrel

about 200 bucks.

:)

3. oldolds

oldolds

There is money to be made on them at that price. Posi is a plus, N case is a plus. You need to look at what they are.

4. Yep ^^^^ if I saw one and had a couple of Benjamins in my pocket I would hurt myself wrestling it into the trunk of bed of whatever I happened to be driving at the time. ;)

5. I have a extra Bronco rear axle for a future project and would gladly snatch up another for two hundred bucks,that's a bargain.

This rear axle is ideal for early Fords,especially Deuces.

The brakes are big and the bolt pattern is the same as the original Fords. HRP

6. LOL the Bronco rear that is going in my Sedan is 31 spline. A lot of them came that way. It is not likely that I will ever really need the big axles but using a 10 gauge to shoot gnats is what we are all about. ;)

if I had liquid assets I would take all the 200 dollar bronco rears I could lay my hands on.

7. aaggie

aaggie

There are exceptions of course but I think most of the desirable 9" rears have left the salvage yards and prices on usable units have really gone up. $200 for a decent rear is a good deal. If the gears, bearings, brakes and axles need replacing then it's not so good.
    The 9" under my current build was done by a local company using all new parts and they gave a lifetime warranty with it. Expensive at just over $1800 but when I picked it up it was full of the correct gear oil, new Eaton posi, new Mosher axles, brakes adjusted, painted and ready to bolt in.

8. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

I remember this photo from many years ago of Currie Enterprises stock pile.
    This was before they were forced to start making their own housings because of the popularity of the 9 in. Ford rearend.
    I've often wondered how many "N" cases and Detroit lockers were in this pile.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 14, 2015
  9. Man that's a pile to end all piles. I know where there is a pile of 9"Fords but no where near the size of that one.

10. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

And that is just a part of the photo taken that particular day. That pile was no doubt replaced many times over.
    Can you imagine how many rearends that have been processed through that place.

11. Aviator

Aviator

Buy as many as you can. Perfect fit for '34 Fords

12. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Just give him the money!

13. 58 inchs is the perfect width. HRP

14. 200 is a decent deal, there is one listed on my local Craigslist for 475 with no takers going on a couple months. I've seen them at 350 a few times and bought them at 100 without center section.
    The gears are 3.50 for V-8 and 4.11 for 6 cylinder models, they also come in small and big bearing. If the metal tags are still on them it will have the gear ratio and a L following to note it's a locker (posie)
    I have one in my t-bucket, one in my Henry J and one spare for a future project one day.

15. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

Currie had been making narrow rears for a long time prior to Street Cars for Cushman type shop vehicles and probably for fork lift trucks using the 3/4 ton [single bell champ type] as I dragged one home for a tractor build that was 24" hub to hub..I think the gear in it was 5.12..

16. Relic Stew

Relic Stew
    from Wisconsin

66-72 has small bearing with small brakes or big bearing with big brakes, depending on GVWR option.
    73-74 has new style (Torino) big bearing ends with small brakes or old style with big brakes
    76-77 are all old style big bearings with big brakes.
    77 had the heavy duty style housing.

V8's had 3.50 standard, 4.11 optional
    6cyl's had 4.11 standard, 4.56 optional

Many have been swapped and modified over the years, especially if they were used off road.

17. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Seb
    I read a story many years ago that said Currie started out doing rearends for golf carts.
    I remember thinking at the time of all the rearends that could be used, they chose to use a Ford 9 in. for a 10 h.p. golf cart.

Look what I found.

http://www.currieenterprises.com/cestore/050919endofline.aspx

The37Kid likes this.
  18. The37Kid

The37Kid

Is that axle flange to axle flange or backing plate to backing plate? Bob

19. indyjps

indyjps

Take a good look at broncos and parts on ebay. Then take a good look at how junker those 3 are. I'd be making an offer in all 3 broncos complete.

20. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That's wheel-mounting-surface to wheel-mounting-surface, or wms to wms.

The37Kid likes this.