Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Whats the best way to lower the front of a '42-'47 Ford pickup?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by oldrelics, Nov 21, 2015.

1. oldrelics

oldrelics
    from Calgary

Whats the best way to lower the front of a '42-'47 Ford pickup?

2. King ford

King ford
    from 08302

How low do you wanna go?....I took a few leaves out of the pack on both ends of mine, lowered her a little and softened the ride!

3. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

I dont know if theres a best way, dropped axle, mustang ,GM stub, I guess its how you want to go about it.

4. Hmmmmn best way depends on cash at hand I suppose. I like to just move the axle to the top of the springs. But if I had the cash at hand I may drop the axle or de-arch the springs or both. All of the above work for me.

5. millersgarage

millersgarage

Suitcase weights on the front bumper

6. czuch

czuch
    from vail az

Put a big block in it.

7. oldrelics

oldrelics
    from Calgary

Yea I kinda would like to stay with orig parts, How do you set up the axle to safely mount the axle on top of the spring?

8. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

Here is how mine was done - by the previous owner - using all of the original front suspension and not having to change the steering:

Cut the frame horns off at a point directly above the front axle.
    Flip the frame horns upside down and switch them left-to-right so instead of the frame arching downward ahead of the front axle it now arches upward.
    Move the spring front perches back under the frame.
    Weld it all together and box it in.

Here's my '46 done that way:

[​IMG]

9. You move it to the top of the spring and weld plates on it to hold the castor correctly, then move your axle plates to the opposite side and throw the u bolts back on it. Oh you will need to drill a locating hole in it to lade the axle on the locating pin and may have to reverse the bolt that holds the spring pack together. I have a friend that actually just takes the original locating hole and drills it all the way through the axle. I don't do it that way but it is another option.

Make sense? If not look at the axle and think about what it is going to take to make the bottom flange look like the top then re read the text. I don't recall off the top of my head but I think you may have to c notch the frame.

10. oldrelics

oldrelics
    from Calgary

I want to avoid frame cutting or axle mods if at all possible, I wonder if an axle spacer could be fabbed to hold the axle in position.

11. banditomerc

banditomerc

Longer shackles?

12. verde742

verde742

longer shackles will raise it UP !!
    he wants it LOWER..

13. 55 Mercury

55 Mercury

You can go a 3" dropped axle and Posie front springs. All bolt it parts. ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1449671142.287944.jpg

14. deathrowdave

deathrowdave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NKy

Don't flip the axle to the top of springs ! Welding on a forged axle really is for the best of welder so to do ! Dropped axle springs and Toyota steering box and drive it till it drops !