Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Need some California tour advice please

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by fnjunk, Dec 9, 2015.

1. fnjunk

fnjunk
    from Australia

Hi fellow Hambers I'm looking into travelling to California after Christmas and would love some guidance on the Hot Rod must see's.
    Planing to go to Pomona swap early January and the GNRS later that month.
    I am also going to visit the Petersen Museum but would love some input from you guys on where else I need visit.

Thanks in advance Fnjunk

2. There are plenty of shops in the area that will let you come in and look around. I went to GNRS earlier this year and Old Crow had and open house/party like Friday night. SoCal said that they expect, and get, lots of visitors during that time also.

3. i.rant

i.rant
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. 1940 Ford

Nethercutt collection is a must see, call ahead for a reservation. The Wally Parks NHRA Motorsports facility is another that comes to mind.
    Maybe someone in the area can advise you as to possible shop crawls and cruise nights.
    Enjoy!

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  4. Graham08

Graham08

My family was out there this summer, and we made a few stops. So-Cal Speed Shop in Pomona has a scheduled tour (I think on Thursday's)...the info is on their website. Jimmy Shine has a new place in Orange, right off the 57 freeway, which is small, but is set up so you can see in the shop. Mrs. Shine was very nice to my son and I. Foose also has a daily tour at lunch time at his shop in Huntington Beach, again info is on his site.

A few pics...

So-Cal:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And a couple from Foose's:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I was disappointed we weren't able to go to the Petersen because it was closed for renovations this summer. Next trip...

i.rant likes this.

5. BigDogSS

BigDogSS
    from SoCal

6. toml24

toml24

The Donut Derelicts Car Show in Huntington Beach every Saturday morning from 5:30AM to 8:30AM. About 250 vintage cars and trucks of all types show up at the corner of Adams and Magnolia. This is the best FREE car show on the West coast.
    Also, the Automobile Driving Museum in El Segundo, about 1-mile South of the LA Airport on a street called "Larport" This is a great non-profit museum and a donation is asked at the front door.
    Also, the NHRA Drag Racing Museum in Pomona is a great museum.

7. Anyone going to be with you with other interests we should consider? Are you just going to be in Los Angeles or are you going elsewhere in California? It is kind of important since California is about 800 miles from the south to the north. Can you nail the dates down any more? If you enjoy the real classic cars check out the Nethercutt Museum. It is free (they don't even charge for parking). Just remember no jokes about putting a SBC in the Dusenberg roadster.

Charlie Stephens

Last edited: Dec 9, 2015
  8. BigDogSS

BigDogSS
    from SoCal

Last edited: Dec 9, 2015
  9. David Gersic

David Gersic
    from DeKalb, IL

Peterson museum looks good too.

10. rfraze

rfraze

The original Tommy's Burgers in LA at Beverly and Rampart, Pink's Hot Dogs at LaBrea and Melrose. These two places never close! (don't miss going west on Melrose while in the area)
    Tito's Tacos down by LAX on Washington Ave east of 405 Fwy.
    Admiral Risty at the FAR southwest end of Hawthorne Blvd. Cocktails and sunsets!!

11. fnjunk

fnjunk
    from Australia

Thanks guys here are some other locations I'm visiting
    Santa Monica
    L,A
    Anaheim
    Pomona
    San Diego
    Im also wanting to buy some cloth wiring to rewire my 33 where would be the best place to purchase some?
    Cheers guys

12. oldpl8s

oldpl8s

Not too far from Pomona is the Early Ford store in San Dimas. Its like stepping back into the 1930's with the old building loaded with vintage Ford parts. The Donut Hole is MUCH more impressive than Randy's donuts. See it (hell drive through it!) at 15300 Amar Rd, La Puente, CA 91744
    donut-hole.jpg

Chucky and i.rant like this.
  13. BigDogSS

BigDogSS
    from SoCal

X2 on Mooneyes!!

CW Moss is in Orange, right next store to Anaheim. They might have the wiring you need, or at least point you in the right direction. http://www.cwmoss.com/

And for God's sake, be sure stop by an In-N-Out for a great burger. No matter where you will be in SoCal, there will be one within minutes!!

Make sure you buy T-shirts from all of these great places!!

i.rant likes this.
  14. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yup. I heard that the new renovation is quite nice. I am going to head down and check it out soon.

15. LBCD

LBCD

Mooneyes..i posted wrong pic so here ya go
    10820 Norwalk Blvd, Santa Fe Springs, CA 90670

Attached Files:

16. LBCD

LBCD

Check out the Nethercutt museum in San Fernando Valley....look it up first. Not hot rods but alot of amazing cars

Attached Files:

17. The37Kid

The37Kid

Glad a lot of you guys liked the Nethercutt, it is a really nice collection of cars, but most people make the mistake of not getting the MUSIC TOUR, get a reservation for the FREE guided tour. Trust me, it is well worth it. You need a good half day to take it all in. Jack Nethercutt loved his collection, and wanted everyone to see it. Bob

lbcd likes this.
  18. brad2v

brad2v

Masterson Kustoms, 11054 Atlantic Ave, Lynwood is a must see in my opinion. It's in part of the old Barris shop, and done up like it was in it's heyday. Plus Brad is a hell of a nice guy.

19. fnjunk

fnjunk
    from Australia

Thanks for the input guys will try and check out most of your suggestions.
    Fnjunk.

20. HellsHotRods

HellsHotRods

Cloth Wiring:
    CW Moss in Orange, CA
    Early Ford Store, San Dimas <<< must see !!
    go visit:
    Kennedy Bros, - Pomona (Bomb Factory)

fnjunk likes this.