Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Early Ford drive line service

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by claytonsrods, Dec 7, 2015.

1. claytonsrods

claytonsrods
    from Aptos, CA

Kicking around adding torque tube "in closed drive line " service to our menu here at Clayton's Hot Rod's. They will be made out of DOM tube with all new components . All to original Ford specifications . Just wanted to see what you guys thought and if there's any interest? I know its one of our road blocks when building a modified old Ford
    They will work on 32-36 Ford with the 6 to 10 spline adapter and 37-48 with the stock 6 spline coupler . With no center carrier bearing in the torque tube. made in the USA
    Thanks,
    Clayton

2. treb11

treb11
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It would be nice to have the option for custom lengths or some "standard conversion" configurations - AV8, etc. I bet the first thing guys might do is take one and cut it up for their application.

3. I am a little confused? I am not sure what "in closed drive line" means. Did you mean "enclosed drive line"?

Charlie Stephens

4. alchemy

alchemy

Pretty sure he means the driveshaft. Not the torquetube. Or are you gonna make torquetubes also?

5. I assumed he would be building driveshafts and torque tubes to length but his description needs a little fine tuning before he puts in in a catalog. Anyone in the market would probably want both as a set.

Charlie Stephens

6. AVater

AVater
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Connecticut HAMB'ers

Are you thinking hollow drive shafts to go in the torque tubes? If so: Custom lengths with the 10 to 6 adapter and balanced would be a nice option. As best I can tell the only shafts with the center bearing are the solid rod style drive shafts.

7. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

8. I know the 10 to 6 spline adapters always seem to be out of stock from the suppliers, there's a market right there just for those. Yeah, it would be neat to just order up a pre-cut balanced driveshaft with a torque tube ready to go. All new stuff of course (with clamshell, hardware, turtle, etc.) A lot of driveline service places aren't familiar with the old ford stuff, it'd be nice to have a source, just ask HRW how busy they are?.

9. 55willys

55willys

I might be interested for a customers cars but for myself I would cut up old ones as I have a few. Cool idea and it may take a while to get traction because people are slow to change or just don't get it. I know this is the case with my wide five adapters and covers.

10. claytonsrods

claytonsrods
    from Aptos, CA

So to clarify custom length drive shafts for the enclosed Ford drive line.
    Drive line's only you supply the torque tube and coupler.
    I'm going to start doing it at least for me and friends to get the ball rolling.
    Thanks for the interest and feed back.
    Clayton