Register now to get rid of these ads!

Al Bergler's "AGGRAVATION" dragster progress

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hemifarris, Dec 31, 2005.

1. ProEnfo

ProEnfo
    from Motown

Hemi,
    No I don't think you're being a prick... my comments were based on info from what should have been reliable sources. Thanks for the correction.

CC

2. painkiller

painkiller

Is B&M Brian (with the red 62 Vette) doing the windshield?

3. hemifarris

hemifarris

No, he had several of them made by a plastics company in Detroit. He made an aluminum buck for them so that it would fit properly.

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  4. bashton

bashton

Thanks for the pics and updates, Mike! As you already know, Al was and IS "The Man!"

BTW, let's get the proper car pictured on the websites! If you or Al can e-mail a pic to me or have Ronnie bring me one I will get on it and have them changed out asap. [email protected]

5. Yo Baby

Yo Baby

I think Comp Coupes are bitchin an this is a cool car!
    Anyone on here remember the "Funster" the last full bodied front motor TA/FD to qualify for a national event?
    Not to hijack the thread or anything but here is my favorite to date.

[​IMG]

T,OUT

6. KING CHASSIS

KING CHASSIS

Man I shure love those old dragsters. It is real neat to see an orginal owner find his car after all these years. And then restore it like this.

7. hemifarris

hemifarris

Thanks Bob, I'll do that....Mike

8. Gotta gree with Yo Baby, comp coupes are bitchen!

Here's Lil newt, Randy Wariner's Nitro Chaser. I saw it at the ANRA Finals in nov and he has added full sheet matal to the front pipe. Enjoy.

Phil

Attached Files:

9. lehr

lehr

I dont know any thing about that car but I do know Al Bergler is one badass metal man.

10. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

Slightly off topic, but if anyone is interested to know if Al has lost his touch when it comes to aluminum work take a look at Tom Stepp's '59 Cadillac at Cobo this year. He did the aluminum paneling in the engine compartment and it's stunning. The car is a '59 4dr HT, candy tangerine, tan leather interior, Cadillac Northstar turned north/south, with air-ride and all of the bells and whistles. The car was built by Slim's Body Works in Freeland Mi. I was fortunate enough to do some of the front suspension fabrication.
    Take a look, Al's work is simply the best.

Frank

11. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

Cool. Dan Webb told me about this post Sat. Really cool piece of drag racing history.

12. hemifarris

hemifarris

ProEnfo...I just want to give you your props...I just spoke with Al at 6:40 pm today and he said that he looked at all of his old photos of the yellow car. It was the yellow car that won the Ridler,BUT he was mistaken when he said it was Aggravation. You were correct with the name "More Aggravation" I guess when you've owned and built as many cars as Al has it sometimes becomes hard to remember everything, especially when it wasover 40 years ago.....Mike

13. jerry

jerry

You guys need to bring this car to Mokan and do a Cacklefest at the HOTEL!

I would love to get to see it up close and personal! My favorite style of car at the races!

jerry

14. ProEnfo

ProEnfo
    from Motown

Thanks Mike..

CC

15. hemifarris

hemifarris

I updated the photos at the beginning of this thread to include lettering that was done today........ProEnfo...check out the name on the back!...Mike

16. afan

afan
    from michigan

hey mike is your 32 high boy the one that was invited to the 2005 U.S.NATIONALS and displayed on the west side concourse along with 49 other cool hotrods?? well is it?????:confused:

17. afan

afan
    from michigan

Hey Mike how did you get AL topose for that picture?:D Great pictures!!!!what;s that green fender belong to:D :D :D :confused: please don't show us till after The DETROIT AUTORAMA.:cool:

18. LoBrow

LoBrow
    from MI

WOW!! Thanks for posting these pics. Mr. Bergler is a great part of drag racing history. An old boss of mine said he went to Al's shop a while back and told me he saw this recreation of the Gratiot Supply dragster. I am glad I got to see it for myself now. I have seen fabrication work done by Bergler at a few car shows and it is some of the best I have seen. Again, Thanks!! -Dustin

19. ProEnfo

ProEnfo
    from Motown

Mike,
    The car is looking badass for sure..nice lettering job!

Out of curiosity, where and when did Al find the car, where's it been all these years? You have any photos of the way he found it or photos of the buildup?

CC

20. hemifarris

hemifarris

PM me and I'll give you his phone number.He wouldn't mind you calling..Mike

21. hemifarris

hemifarris

Yes afan, it was one of the 51 hot rods invited by the NHRA to attend this year's Nationals...Thanks for asking...Mike

22. ProEnfo

ProEnfo
    from Motown

Thanks, I have his phone number.. I thought you might know.

CC

23. hemifarris

hemifarris

These photos were taken today,2-23-06...There are also new photos posted on page 1. Al will have his car at the Detroit Autorama...This car won the very first "Ridler Award" in 1964.....

***PLEASE NOTE: The interior photo looks like there's no firewall, when ,in fact, it's polished on the inside as well as outside..

Attached Files:

24. coupedevil

coupedevil

Can't wait to see it next weekend. We have a front motor dragster which we are trying to find out some history on. Will definately be speaking to the man.

25. sling392shot

sling392shot

Hey Mike, Als resto is coming along great, can't wait to see the finished car.

Ash

26. afan

afan
    from michigan

that car is finisher. all he needs now is oil, fuel and along strech of road, oh yeah some warmer weather.:cool:

27. I would like to add Al Bergler is one of the coolest guys I know. He is so layed back and humble for all he has done in his life.

I consider him a good friend and have always looked up to him. He did the louvers on the hoods of the last two cars I've built too.

I was at the shop 2 weeks ago and got to see this car along with two other FED's he is restoring. He mentioned he is reliving the past and couldn't be happier working on these old dragsters.

We all have HEROS in our lives and AL is one of mine.

28. bashton

bashton

Well said, Roadstar! Al is indeed one of the nicest guys you could ever meet and a real asset to our hobby.

He has worked on more cars than any of us could imagine and has always been a "behind the scenes" kinda guy with no overblown ego. He is also a true enthusiast who loves doing what he has been doing...for over 40 years now!

Congratulations AL! I know this was a long tome coming...see ya in a few days!

29. wlspdshop

wlspdshop
    from Missouri

Wow! Just amazing!

30. Max Curtis Ford

Max Curtis Ford
    from Ann Arbor

Hey Al, Maybe we can race you at the new Onondago Dragway????????????