Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical '37 chevy rocker arm shafts & bushings ?

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by C5Corvettefan, Dec 2, 2015.

1. C5Corvettefan

C5Corvettefan
    from Milton, WV

I want to replace the rocker shafts and bushings on my engine, anyone know what years will work and the best place to buy them? Thanks!

Greg

2. squirrel

squirrel

It's a 1937 engine? or a later engine?

3. OldBuzzard

OldBuzzard

Be careful when you disassemble your rocker shafts. There are different rockers there. See:

http://chevy.oldcarmanualproject.com/shop/1954truck/54ctsm0611.html

Item 6 under Rocker Arms and Shafts.

216 engines have the same deal.
    http://chevy.oldcarmanualproject.com/shop/1938/38csm155.html

Also, don't swap ends of the shafts, keep the centers together, there are plugs in the outer ends.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2015
  4. OldBuzzard

OldBuzzard

I guess you mean Fig 15 on the 235. The picture is shown looking at the adj screw side of the rockers. The middle oil connection is shown at the left end, that would make the picture be showing the shaft toward thje back of the engine.

For the R & L lables in the chart just go by the single digit number on the rocker (it may be on the underside) as applied to the proper cylinder as described in the chart, i.e. a number 9 rocker is exhaust for cylinders 1,3&5 exhaust. A#4 rocker is i,3&5 intake.

Does that help??
    If not, we can try again.

belair likes this.

5. belair

belair

Appreciate it, Old Buzzard. Sometimes even a picture isn't enough for me! A little reading made things clearer, but again, thanks.

6. C5Corvettefan

C5Corvettefan
    from Milton, WV

Hi Jim, my engine is a '37, with a '37 cyl. head verified by the casting number. Thanks!

7. C5Corvettefan

C5Corvettefan
    from Milton, WV

Thank you Sir! that information will help for sure. I thought I would rebuild one shaft at a time so I wouldn't get the parts out of order. Now I just need to buy them..

8. Maybe a stretch, but on my Alexander OHV banger head, which came with early Chevy rocker arms, I found that Ford flathead connecting rod small end bushings fit perfectly.

9. C5Corvettefan

C5Corvettefan
    from Milton, WV

Thanks hotrodA I may have to check into that