Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Super charged banged

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by 30ccpu, Dec 1, 2015.

1. 30ccpu

30ccpu

I was pondering about fitting a supercharger to my pickup wondering if anyone else has done it and or had any luck ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1449021517.815426.jpg

Tiny likes this.
  2. PackardV8

PackardV8

FWIW, a small turbo is much easier to do on a flathead and just as HAMB as the supercharger you're showing.

I've got a pair of SU carbs off an MG Midget I've been saving for just such an application, cause I saw a photo of a Brit build which looked trick.

jack vines

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  3. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

There was a thread on this a while back, some guy built a roadster for the TROG with a Ford tractor engine and Graham supercharger. He was dubious at first , but we encouraged him. In the end he was impressed with the performance, and remarked that he expected the motor to give up at 3000 RPM but it just seemed to keep going faster and faster, which was more or less what I told him to expect. The car gave a good account of itself in the races in spite of being only 130 cu in, probably the smallest motor there.

For various technical reasons an old flathead responds very well to supercharging provided the bearings, pistons, rings, valves etc are in top shape to begin with. In other words you have to start with a good, rebuilt motor. A supercharger will just blow up a weak motor faster.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2018
    Tiny and loudbang like this.
  4. hot-irons

hot-irons

What type of super charger is that up there? Makes for a cool look but I'm not sure if a stock bottom end can handle it.

5. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

Any engine in good shape will handle 4 - 5 pounds of boost. When you get up around 7 or higher you need to modify the motor to handle the pressure. But, 4 -5 pounds will give you a 25% or 35% increase in power. McCulloch claimed a 40% increase in rear wheel HP which experts found believable. They used 5 pounds.

Kaiser claimed a 27% increase with 4 pounds boost with their McCulloch supercharged flathead six.

6. I think it is a AMR 500, they are used on many Japanese micro cars. Quite common in Jap motor import places in Australia at least.

Unkl Ian likes this.
  7. 30ccpu

30ccpu

The supercharger is a Toyota sc14 all self contained no oil feed needed. Yes that's the boost I was thinking 4 to 5 should make a nice little increase

Roadster1929 likes this.
  8. winduptoy

winduptoy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Here is one that was at the Georgetown Hill Climb. It is a Graham supercharger. The installation was well thought out and nicely done. I'm going to steal some of the ideas. I believe the blower has about a 5 psi output. One disadvantage to a centrifugal blower like this in this kind of application, is it doesn't like sudden RPM changes. Hard on drive components. DSC_0117.JPG

s.e.charles, Bandit Billy and LAROKE like this.
  9. ^^^^^^Sure looks sweet!

10. Clark

Clark

I had the graham supercharger on the 41 ford truck banger aka 9n tractor motor. It worked great but like Rusty said my motor was used and the rings didn't last. I didn't have a problem with sudden rpm changes. She wanted all I could give it and had a snappy throttle responce. It was only a 118 cubic inch motor and it took a single 97 carb with no problems.

Right now I'm putting a v8 in this car and it will be up for sale. I'm saving the supercharged banger for a future project. I want to build the motor with a cam and some porting to see what I can really get out of it.

OmRr9_xW6i_yMv7yUrAtAqxRwqw5o0-vi.jpg

11. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

So Clark would you say the supercharger worked well with the 4 banger, gave a useful increase in performance for a reasonable cost of time and money?

One of the reasons for using a supercharger, is you don't need to do anything else or buy parts like high compression head, cam, dual carbs, manifolds etc that are always expensive, and sometimes hard to get or impossible to get for some motors.

12. Clark

Clark

Rusty....shit yeah! When a 118 in motor can beat a 200 inch motor , I would say it helped. Or I could say it was my driving abilities ☺
    I was amazed that it worked as well as it did. Look at the 97 carb working fine on that small of a motor when some guys can't get them to work on the bigger A and B motors.

Yeah I don't have to go for the cam or extra work but Ive got the bug to see just what that little motor can do

Budget36 and kidcampbell71 like this.
  13. two coupes

two coupes

IMG_3045.JPG IMG_3047.JPG
    My 214 cui banger equipped with a 1934 Graham Supercharger.

Jet96, s.e.charles, winduptoy and 3 others like this.
  14. Sart156

Sart156

15. Jeff34

Jeff34

This banger is not mine but might be as it’s for sale currently. Graham supercharged banger.
    IMG_0895.JPG IMG_0897.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

Jet96, s.e.charles, winduptoy and 2 others like this.
  16. redoxide

redoxide

Last edited: Feb 16, 2021