Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Fender well headers

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Grapes of Wrath, Nov 6, 2015.

1. Grapes of Wrath

Grapes of Wrath

I'm looking to find these exact headers. It's a sbc and they would have been purchased in the 60's. My dad thinks maybe the original purpose was for a truck over the frame?

Attached Files:

2. Looks to me that they may have been custom made.

3. oj

oj

'66-7 Nova headers would be very close

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  4. Grapes of Wrath

Grapes of Wrath

They were definitely bought. My uncle bought them he just doesn't remember what they were for from about 55 years ago. I forgot to say they started out in a 1953 Studebaker with a sbc. The gray picture is from 1965. Same headers, same car just progress in going faster

Attached Files:

5. 32v

32v
    from v.i.

maybe v8 conversion for jeep

6. squirrel

squirrel

You might find that no one makes headers like that these days, so you'd need to find an old pair...and old headers like that are scarcer than hen's teeth.

Used to be, they'd bend the tube with the right bend radius for what it needed. Now all the bends are too tight of radius.

7. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Well, they would probably "fit", but if you want headers that look like those, not so much. And I have a Chevy II with fenderwell headers. Jim is right, even IF those were store bought in the sixties (which, looking at the collector, I find doubtful, I think the haze of time is playing tricks on someones memory) the only way you are going to get headers like that now is to build them.
    LOVE the silver T&R...

8. stimpy

stimpy

those look like they been sand bent as I do not see a hard bend a machine would make , I know my uncle made a set that they filled the pipe with sand and used a wooden telephone cable spool ( the big 6' one) and bent the tubing over the hub of it made some beautiful 18" radius bends and some other bends with my dads EMT bender . he learned to do this from a guy on the south side of Chicago . now days we buy mandrel kits and piece them together .

9. stimpy

stimpy

I just blew up the picture , you can clearly see the welded sections of stubs on the pipe , probably a kit . and many kits were offered back then .

falcongeorge likes this.
  10. alphabet soup

alphabet soup
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Was just looking at a lot of different headers at an old shop. And there were a fair amount of fender wells. If I was to throw a guess out there. I would say '58-'64 full size Chevy. '55-'57 are way longer at the top. Early Chevy II are short and swoop up. Jeep headers shoot more back than down. But X-frame Chevy kinda have that length at the top and the collectors shoot down and back like that. At least the 409 ones I saw did. So I am thinking the small block ones do too. And if they were bought about 1960 that would make the most sense. Gene.

11. Grapes of Wrath

Grapes of Wrath

Thanks guy.
    Hopefully a set will turn up! I really don't want to have to build those

12. flatheadgary

flatheadgary
    from boron,ca

13. manyolcars

manyolcars

Those are called"piss-off pipes' because they blow dirt and rocks all over anyone near

14. Back in the early days there were a lot of company making headers and have now gone of of business so it hard to say who may have made them. There are just a few company making Fenderwell Headers now so good luck in locating that same header.:(:mad:

15. Grapes of Wrath

Grapes of Wrath

16. Grapes of Wrath

Grapes of Wrath

I think we are going to make them! They are to nice not to make copies.