Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects is this a fiberglass belly tank or boat part or??? worth grabbing?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by peter schmidt, Nov 30, 2015.

1. peter schmidt

peter schmidt
    from maryland

Honestly I hate everything about working with fiberglass but I love streamliners and belly tanks. My buddy who helped me get it across the river and up on land has a bigger property and is damn good with glass so I'll probably just let him have it and we can share the build someday.even if it's just yard art it's to cool looking to just let rot in the river, whatever the hell it is. As of right now it's sitting on public land out in the open but we couldent get it up on his trailer all full of water so if it's still there tomorrow after we get off work we will grab it if not oh well at least it was fun grabbing it.

volvobrynk and lothiandon1940 like this.
  2. rjonst

rjonst
    from Virginia

3. Buddy Palumbo

Buddy Palumbo

Man, I hope noone grabs it ... That would suck !

4. mike bowling

mike bowling

Pretty wild find- maybe it's one of those Colombian coke subs??

lewk likes this.
  5. Pretty cool whatever it is!

6. summersshow

summersshow
    from NC

I gotta stay tuned and see more...

7. 46stude

46stude

At the very least, I'd mock it up w/ axles, wheels, & a canopy and use it as faux belly-tanker yard art. Hope nobody beats y'all back to it.

Sheee-it. Looking at the last pic in post #26, I think maybe y'all opened the Ark of the Covenant.......

Last edited: Nov 30, 2015
  8. Subscribed. If nothing else, I just want to see some wheels beside the thing!
    Building a belly tank is one of those "future" builds for me.

volvobrynk likes this.
  9. noboD

noboD

You mean Jethro?

seb fontana likes this.
  10. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

Now I remember. It is a torpedo target! They pull Em with a boat and shoot torpedos at Em with subs. It probably has a little radio transponder inside it. . We have a naval target range a few miles from the house.

volvobrynk and harpo1313 like this.
  11. King ford

King ford
    from 08302

Nice score Peter !.....the tire behind it in the first photo looks traditional....

12. The37Kid

The37Kid

This is a first for the HAMB, a "Bay Find" Bob

13. Torkwrench

Torkwrench

It's probably causing "Global Warming". :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Do your part to "save the environment" and pick it up. Then install a hot flathead, axels, etc. :D:D:D

volvobrynk and Atwater Mike like this.
  14. I was thinking the same thing. I would seriously want to know what is in it before I hauled it anywhere. Some of that stuff it is not finder keepers it is finders get acquainted with your new fiancé, Bubba.

But aside from that if it is not filled with equipment that looks like it belongs to NORAD or something hell yes get that bugger and never look back.

volvobrynk likes this.
  15. pumpman

pumpman

Ya got my attention, great story! Save that damn thing.

16. It floated up from the old Torpedo Factory in Alexandria....... kelly0041409426233.jpg

greasemonkey54 likes this.
  17. I would worry about what was inside (maybe I am just paranoid). Remember what happened when Pandora opened her box.

Charlie Stephens

volvobrynk likes this.
  18. Yea old Pandora would put something on ya that Ajax couldn't wash off. :D

volvobrynk likes this.
  19. I thought I was the only one that Pandora let see her box???....... It smelled weird......

volvobrynk and TLDLTD like this.
  20. that would make a nice hammer form/buck for an aluminum tank

21. If there was good NORAD stuff in there they would have found it. Well wait a min,,, :p

greasemonkey54 and kidcampbell71 like this.
  22. peter schmidt

peter schmidt
    from maryland

Won't be able to pick it up today had to take off work to take care of my 1 year old who has the flue and watch my buddy's 2 year old since Noone else could. I work 2 jobs tomorrow so we're going to shoot for Thursday hopefully it's still there. It's in a pretty remote spot and it's been raining non stop so hopefully we can still get it. Plan is to cut it in half to ease loading it's pretty beat up on one side anyway so it'll need glass work anyway. Hopefully next time I check in it'll be with pics of us loading it up. Got my cherry picker ready

23. Cut it in half Whaaaaat? It can't be too full of water it's floating 75% above water.

24. Drill a small hole in one end to let the water out don't cut it up. Some taps on the side ought to tell you if its a hollow spot. Carefull, there could be some neat shit inside. I think you mean Bainbridge not bambridge Md.

25. Maybe its full of dope. It could be Colombian ya know. :confused: o_O

greasemonkey54 likes this.
  26. Shoop107

Shoop107

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1449007485.286978.jpg
    Call the guy with the hippo boat. I hear he does good work.

27. i love that boat.

66cad likes this.
  28. I am curious as hell to know what's in it but I would be careful as some of the earlier posts stated. My bet is that it was used on some type of home made boat. Probably bought from a surplus store. I've seen some crazy home made boats on that river back in the day to drift with the current fishing for smallies.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  29. Is that like the Mexican Coke that's made with real cane sugar instead of corn syrup? :confused:

volvobrynk and lewk like this.
  30. Hey man, you got your priorities right; just a hobby to have fun with!

Are you talking in half lengthwise or legit in half? I would only do that if you have to. There must be a seam which was regularly opened for maintenance, beside that aluminum cap, no? At least take a look down there first.

But if you do cut it in half, I did like what one guy said- use it as a buck for an aluminum bodied racer. Could even just rivet some aluminum right over it!

lothiandon1940 likes this.