Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical hossfeld bender

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by bct, Nov 20, 2015.

1. bct

bct

DSC05210.JPG

Bought a bender today . Been looking for many years . I found a few but timing financially was always off. Got a good deal and made a new friend who is a talented builder as well.
    I found plenty of you tube videos on usage.
    Got any tips?

2. trollst

trollst

trollst here, I sold you the bender, good luck with it.

3. bct

bct

Ha! All that talk and we never mentioned the hamb. Go figure.

yruhot likes this.
  4. Timbofor

Timbofor

Ha! Good thing you didn't talk any smack!

5. i bought a small unit like that [off shore cheapy on sale] it came with an instruction manual that showed how to set it up to make letters of the alphabet. my first thought was i am never going to make letters, this is stupid. then i tried to make some bends. i fumbled with moving the dies around and wasted a bunch of metal. then i realized i wanted to make a Z shape and consulted the manual. presto. a tight L okay, i get it now. the alphabet contains all the bends and or combos of bends..................i made a copy of the manual in big print, put it in a binder and hung it near the machine.

bct and '51 Norm like this.
  6. '51 Norm

'51 Norm
    from colorado

And if you can make letters you can go into business making branding irons.

tb33anda3rd likes this.
  7. big business around here:rolleyes::)

kidcampbell71 and dad-bud like this.
  8. bct

bct

Yes. My hammer and vise bending days are over.

My brackets are going to improve 100%.

9. I got this tubing bender and finally DSCN9467.JPG DSCN9468.JPG DSCN9469.JPG have a project where I needed to make square tubing bends. I made a mount that fit in my receiver hitch and use the tailgate as my workbench

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  10. bct

bct

Thats a nice one rick . Square tube that size is useful.

Anyone with a hossfeld hydraulic ? I could use some measurments for a future upgrade.

11. trollst

trollst

Better make sure I get pics of some bendings, next time, I come to your shop. LeRoy.

bct likes this.
  12. Ditto, I would like to add hydraulics to mine also.

13. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

When you mark your tube for a bend make another mark as to witch side of your mark you want to start your bend.

bct likes this.
  14. bct

bct

you are welcome anytime.

I know from the vids on youtube that the big plate the cylinder mounts to is 6 x ?? x 3/4"
    I got a pm from a fellow who can get measurments monday.
    If you have specific questions ask away and I'll relay them.
    So far all i need is the stroke of the cylinder and the rest i can extrapolate from pics.

15. bct

bct

16. bct

bct

17. bct

bct

No . I might get some info on that today. If not i may just build it then measure retracted length.

18. Johnny99

Johnny99

Morning,

Get yourself the factory manual, it helps. Hossfeld still makes these machines, check ebay for dies, or try Hallidie Machine in Auburn WA. My pedestal is similar to yours but I made mine so it will lock or spin while I am bending with the hydraulics , pretty handy when your bending up a main hoop or other long piece, it can make your shop seem pretty tight! I made full size flat templates of all my tubing bends, tubing O.D. and centerline radius, really helps when laying stuff out. An adjustable third arm/Christmas tree stand thingy will help too, Momma or the kid aren't always willing participants in my bending endeavors! My latest 39 Willys sedan, I typically build a halo style cage, like the access for the A pillar down tube weld.
    Good luck, John

bluwlys3.JPG

bct likes this.
  19. Yep get the longest handle you can afford or will fit in the shop.

We had one at several places I worked over the years, my best advice is get yourself some scrap and mark it up and practice to see where you start your bends before you decide to build something with it. I have discovered that dies vary and how you lay out a piece depends a little bit on diameter.

bct likes this.
  20. The Hossfeld is a good quality bender - much better than the import or cheap knock offs. I built many roll cages and entire tube chassis using a Hossfeld - including cars that won the BAJA 1000. Did it manual for years before converting to hydraulic. Good purchase.

21. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

I converted mine to hydraulic to bend 1-3/4 x .134 wall. When it was manual, and with pretty long handle, it still took a minimum of three guys with sticky tennis shoes, to get the job done !

22. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

When Rich Davis had his sprint car shop in San Jose, he used a Hossfeld for a few years...
    Always had enough 'hangarounds' to bend the big stuff!

23. bct

bct

Thanks for the replies. I set up the bulldozer bender and did some 90° bends for no real reason. Found a decent spot and will be mounting to floor soon.

Got some info on the cylinder

" 1" rod, 2 1/4 body and 17" stroke."