Register now to get rid of these ads!

What motor fits model A no cutting firewall, full hood

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Rpmrex, Dec 3, 2010.

1. OldCrow

OldCrow

I plan to begin work on my 31 Coupe in about 4 weeks to install a 215 Buick V-8. replacing the current Pinto 2.0L. hopefully with no firewall cutting. I'm sure this thread will still be argued a month from now, so I'll post photos of the install.

Russ

2. jimbousman

jimbousman

A lot of engine choices here. A lot of conflicting info too. One thing is for sure anyone with an A Bone Pickup can understand where Rpmrex is coming from. Everyone I know with an A pickup complains about lack of room. Chop four inched or so out of equation and it’s no longer fun to drive. For me that’s what it is all about.

I have a ’31 coupe. I have two 283’s sitting on my floor. Both need a going though but would make great nostalgia rod material …but… I’m going with a 4.3L Chevy Vortec w/T5 and S10 rear. They are built like a brick s*** house and will pump out the same HP as a base 283. Mine’s going to be a driver. If I wanted a parade car I’d keep the Bone motor.

As far as stuffing a mouse motor into an A without messing with the firewall, good luck. Stuffing a 28” motor in a 28” engine bay with a stock front cross member and the ability to pull the distributor and valve covers seems a stretch. That I’d like to see.

3. bykerlad

bykerlad
    from australia

I think the Toyota Hemi is smaller than the Daimler Hemi by 1 inch

4. jimbousman

jimbousman

Here's proof that a small block Buick or Rover V8 wil fit in a Model A without chopping the firewall. One key is using a 1964 300 Buick short waterpump. All that's needed is a little bump for bell housing. 200+ ready HP - no chop!

Attached Files:

5. Just dragging this out of the past.
    '30 model A roadster highboy.
    A friend wants to put a BB Chevy in it.
    How much would the firewall need recessing?
    He also says a BB Chevy is no bigger than a SB Chevy.. Huh?
    There must be a difference in length. Any ideas?

6. yruhot

yruhot

You want a non world class s-10 t-5..Shifter is mounter forward on the trans. Got on in my 30 sedan and is like an inch farther back than stock if I recall. had to knock the crossmember to fit shifter. Now I got it behind a mercruiser motor. 4 cyl, inline. bell housing in same as small block chevy. I did cut the firewall only because I wanted the t-5 to land on the last crossmember and didnt want to redo drive line. Ended up redoing driveline anyway.yruhot/

7. 55willys

55willys

I built a 30 Model A pickup a few years ago and it had a small block Chevrolet engine in it WITHOUT CUTTING the fire wall. I eliminated the rectangular flat spot where the wires come out and used a hammer to stretch the indent by a little bit. I used a small distributer instead of the HEI and a Zipp's high rise water pump adapter that uses the Chevrolet 6 cylinder water pump. I used a mechanical fan without any spacer and it cleared the radiator by 3/8" and the right side valve cover cleared the fire wall by 3/8" as well. It can be done but it must be placed perfectly. The floor ended up with a small hump, less than 1" high to clear the trans.

I also built one with a small block Ford but had to recess the lower part of the fire wall.

I am currently working on a 28 Sport Coupe and it is getting a 42 Mercury flathead. This fits without cutting the fire wall but you can't run the stock fuel pump and the wiring box on the fire wall, you can have one or the other. The fan has also proved to be a bit of a challenge on this one too but I will win in the end.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2015
    05snopro440 likes this.