Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Has anyone ever bought a title through a company?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Blacktop Graffiti, Nov 14, 2015.

1. Blacktop Graffiti

Blacktop Graffiti

We're trying to get a title for a '41 Plymouth but we don't have a vin on it. Has anyone used any of these services to get a title/vin? Don't feel like getting ripped off.

Thanks!

2. barstowpo

barstowpo

I don't know about Indiana, but it is illegal to add a VIN to a car in Commiefornia. What good would a title do if there is no way to link it to the vehicle?

3. LOU WELLS

LOU WELLS
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from IDAHO

NO DICE IN IDAHO EITHER
    THEY TELL YOU THAT A STORE BOUGHT TITLE IS NO GOOD BECAUSE YOU TOLD A LIE!!!

OWEN SEAS

4. lodaddyo

lodaddyo

I got a title for my 58 f100 through broadway title. It was a pretty easy process. Worked for me

5. If it is like California the DMV will attach a VIN (probably better described as an ID tag) after you jump through a few hoops. Have you talked to your local DMV?

Charlie Stephens

6. john walker

john walker

The engine # can be used as a VIN. Google "title service".

7. Russco

Russco
    from Central IL

Go to your states DMV and ask them what the procedure is, In Illinois there is a Bonded title process for this. Title companies usually just charge you a fee for them doing the paperwork needed to get the title for whatever the circumstances are. Whatever it may be, no title , lost title, no VIN , ETC... find out what you are dealing with first it may not be that complicated.

8. summersshow

summersshow
    from NC

Federally it is a felony to attach a VIN of any kind to a vehicle. If your doing a repair that requires a VIN being removed and replace an inspector must be present for both parts.
    If you have no title or VIN I would call DMV and get a "custom vehicle" title and they will attach a VIN number to it....

9. Pretty much the same process as getting a title and VIN for a homebuilt t-bucket, for example. The state will issue a new VIN to the vehicle and title to match, but only after you jump through their hoops. DO NOT attempt to create your own shortcut. Does the word "felony" mean anything to you. This is a lot more involved than a car with an existing VIN, but no title. And don't ask the drones working the counter at the local DMV. Call the state office and get info from the source. Get copies of the pertinent statues as well, before venturing into the local office.

belair and Hnstray like this.
  10. Blacktop Graffiti

Blacktop Graffiti

I'm not trying to take a shortcut. We have no VIN because '41 Plymouths didn't have VIN's and the only thing we have is the last registration from New York in 1952. Which obviously is not a title. We are trying to go through the IN BMV but its been quite the hassle. I was just wondering if anyone had done this a different way.

11. Frank Carey

Frank Carey

Title procedures vary by state. New York did not have titles in 1952. Knowing this might be helpful. You last registration document may be important. If you have anything like a receipt or bill of sale you ought to be able to get a new title in IN.

12. Most of those companies have either gone out of business or are limited in their service areas these days. Most of them also require a number of some sort on your end.

You can use an engine number by the way. ;)

13. If I were you, as curious as I am about these type of things, I'd call a DMV in NY state and tell them what you have and if there's some document they can supply you with that would maybe help in the battle. It's only a phone call. Tim

alphabet soup likes this.
  14. alphabet soup

alphabet soup
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My uncle used a service in New York a couple of times. Mainly what he received from them was some paper work and a registration (pink slip) because they didn't have titles and still may not, I don't know. He would take them to our MVA and have a title created in his name.

15. 1pickup

1pickup

Yes. Broadway title. I think it was in the south east (Alabama?) someplace. But, without a VIN, I don't see how that will work for you. Obviously, no one can put a claim to your car, if there is no VIN. Contact your DMV & ask questions. Or, build the car & get it inspected. A VIN would be issued then, that you would need to weld to the car. But, then it may have to pass current smog laws, & other things (air bags, etc) that you most likely are not going to do. But, I know nothing of IN motor vehicle laws.

16. chris' 38

chris' 38

I think in NY they didn't have titles until 1973 and the registration is the title. What does it say on back of regi? If it says transferable on the front and has places for new and old owner to sign on back, that is used as the title.

If it was ever in the system, you would need the last regi but you are pre computer. I think you are good.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2015
  17. stuart in mn

stuart in mn

Strictly speaking, no cars had a VIN back then as it wasn't invented yet. However, they did have serial numbers. This page describes where they were located on 1941 Plymouths. http://www.ply33.com/Misc/vin

SEMA has titling information for all 50 states on their website: http://www.semasan.com/page.asp?content=tag_title_toolbox&g=SEMAGA Take a look there. Assuming the car wasn't stolen at some point in its past, chances are there's a way to get it titled in your name using state procedures, but you'll still need to find a person at your local DMV who is knowledgeable and willing to help.

belair likes this.
  18. Stu D Baker

Stu D Baker
    from Illinois

I've heard that Illinois (among other states) pretty much red flags any titles/bills of sale, etc. that come from places like Broadway Title. I used them years ago, but not recently.

19. Most states have pretty much figured out the Broadway Title Company paperwork shuffle and put an end to it. My '37 Plymouth used the body number that was on a metal tag attached to the firewall.

20. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

I should clipboard this and copy/paste it;
    Hire a local vehicle registration service that is knowledgeable about vintage vehicles (ask local car guys for a reference) and let them take care of the vehicle verification and registration process. The money you spend will be won back in your not having the headache, heartburn and dozen trips to your DMV while you become educated on what flaming hoops you need to jump through to get the car titled in your name.

Hire it out to the pros and just factor in the couple hundred bucks or so as a part of the cost of building the car. Cars are enough work. Focus your talents on actually wrenching on the car. Anything else is do it yourself dentistry.

Jet96 and pat59 like this.
  21. Blacktop Graffiti

Blacktop Graffiti

The original engine was long gone, the frame tag is also gone and the number on the body is really tough to read. I read about this http://benboyle.com/blog/?p=16

22. times 3 ^^^ on title services. I got so sick of arguing with rookie DMV employees ... I have never looked back. The least I've spent is forty bucks. Saves the headache of driving to an argument, and waiting in line for my second chance with their hopefully smarter DMV supervisors. Ridiculous.

Title company ... THAT'S what they do ... all day, every day. Next in line please. Have a great day, and come back again ! (You bet your sweet a#s I do !!)

ALSO ... I have no idea what "buying a title" means ... but, if you wish your conflageration(made up word) of parts to be legally titled for transfer, registration, and proof of ownership of said parts to be a car/truck/whatzit ... a title company can do so, and will legally insure(title insurance/part of service) that all of their said work will stand up in whatever state/country you live or wish to drive in. You will legally own.

(tired of these threads)

Last edited: Nov 15, 2015
  23. I had a pal that bought one from Broadway,He got stuck because the SCDMV wouldn't ok it. HRP

24. 1pickup

1pickup

I didn't screw around after I got mine, & quickly transferred it into my name. It was a few years back. Things may be much different now.

25. The serial number tag should be on the right front door post.

26. Big No-No in NC ,also...In 2003 , I bought a title for my '26 roadster project.. transferred it to a NC title in my name...When it came time to register the car in 2011 , I was told it wouild be a felony to stamp that number in my frame... So , I went theBonded /Assigned VIN route.....

27. Russco

Russco
    from Central IL

NY state used transferable registrations back then instead of titles. They are legal, But again check with YOUR state's DMV. See what the process is. NY transferable registrations are (or were) legal surrender documents. Indiana can confirm this through NewYork DMV I used to have a letter from New York state DMV explaining that. You can get all kinds of opinions from what they do in other states but the only state that matters is YOUR STATE.

28. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

One has to wonder.......why do you keep reading them?? :confused:

29. chris' 38

chris' 38

That 1952 regi is the title and your dmv will accept it.

30. No clue. Build threads, cool history find, significant hot rod sh#t ... chewed up with the 37th "how title" post of the season. Probably the 762'nd title post in the archives ... but who's asking. Well you did I guess. Where is the bang head against wall emoticon ?