Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects SOUTHEAST GASSERS "BRAND X" BUILD

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by HEMIBERT, Oct 12, 2015.

1. vitamindart

vitamindart

cool Build! wish you were closer I have a spare rear glass I would give you. just in my way collecting dust.

2. It rolls!
    Monday was my wifes birthday. Instead of going out, we stayed home and worked on the car. She said--"we're going to Greer saturday aren't we?" I'm a blessed man! IT ROLLS.JPG

3. wrenchbender

wrenchbender

Man that car is badass I really dig it is that an a-100 axle and what springs are you using also out of curiosity how much if any did you narrow it I had a 64 dart afx car I used a-100 axle and I had to narrow it 5" I'm just curious how much different the barracuda is compared to the dart keep up the good work

Circus Bear and Spoggie like this.
  4. notweak2

notweak2
    from alabama

Ran at Bristol several times in the late 80's, Bracket Finals. Footbraked a '68 Formula S Barracuda. Got down to 8 cars twice. Never won. good times. I was with the Huntsville Dragway team.

Dog_Patch and loudbang like this.
  5. Thanks, that's good information. I measured last night and was figuring on 4". If 5 worked good for you, I might just do 5. I checked the track numbers and the dart and cuda were the same that year. Thanks for your post. It was a big help.

powrshftr likes this.
  6. Scott Mannion

Scott Mannion
    from Scotland

This car is looking so good and with support like that from your wife you cannot possibly fail!

Dog_Patch likes this.
  7. wrenchbender

wrenchbender

No problem anytime I wasn't for sure how close the barracuda and the dart were I used the a-100 springs as well looked like you had new ones that's why I asked about them here is a pic of my dart it was a 440-4speed it ran good but not good enough to run with the southeast gassers

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1447358987.579938.jpg

Oh and I am starting on another afx it's a 64 polara

Swamp Rat 4, RileyRacing and loudbang like this.
  8. I re-measured tonight with the 5" numbers---perfect. The springs are Speedway. One of the first things Quain told me, when he found out about the barracuda, was NO AWB. So I have to be careful. If I can find them somewhere I have a copy of the original factory awb instructions. All b-body stuff, part numbers and all. They are getting a little faded due being copied so many times. If you are interested, I'll try to find them and make you a copy.

9. enloe

enloe
    from east , tn.

Build Thread?

10. wrenchbender

wrenchbender

That would be awesome I would really appreciate that shoot me a pm and I'll give you contact info thanks for the info

Not yet it will probly be spring before I get started on it but I will let you know right now I'm finishing my flatcad te-440 dragster should have it at meltdown this year

Dog_Patch likes this.
  11. b-body-bob

b-body-bob

Steve Magnante's AWB book starting on page 82 covers using an A-100 axle with an early (65) Dart including how he jigged and cut it. He took out 5-1/2". If that'd be helpful I can scan and post just say the word.

loudbang and kidcampbell71 like this.
  12. That would be great if you don't mind. Was building a jig for mine. Interested in seeing how he did it.
    Thanks

fast30coupe likes this.
  13. b-body-bob

b-body-bob

Here are those scans, I hope they help

Image (27).jpg Image (28).jpg Image (29).jpg Image (30).jpg Image (31).jpg Image (32).jpg

I'm pretty sure the guy who worked on the build (Dale Snoke) is a member here too

loudbang likes this.
  14. fast30coupe

fast30coupe
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Illinois

15. Clik

Clik

The axle doesn't get much stress at the center. Think of it as a pry bar with the spring as the fulcrum. You'd have a lot of leverage.

Atwater Mike and fast30coupe like this.
  16. I'm ok with it. Don't think I'll slot my holes like that though.

Atwater Mike likes this.
  17. Cool build! Lightning fast!

18. Cool!

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

19. Where do 7 World Champions go on their day off to watch some REAL racing?
    Greer Dragway and the Southeast Gassers. Thanks to Quain and everybody for making wife and I welcome.
    I've made the right choice in building for them next year.
    Not much visual progress this weekend. Narrowed the front axle 5" and getting a lot of pieces parts lined up
    for a big Thanksgiving week thrash.

AHotRod likes this.
  20. Slow week. Narrowed front axle, made new steering arms and drag link, narrowed front frame rails same amount as axle, rebuilt hubs, assembled and located all in frame. All = no visual progress.
    Going to hit it hard over the holiday. NARROWED AXLE.JPG

21. Nice work! Front of frame looks great.

22. Roothawg

Roothawg

Where did you buy the frame rails?

stealthcruiser likes this.
  24. stealthcruiser

stealthcruiser

Wassup, Root!

25. Roothawg

Roothawg

Notta. You? Still pounding rivets?

26. Russman69

Russman69
    from MI

Sweet build. Will be watching. What will you be using for a clutch?

27. greybeard360

greybeard360

Word of wisdom when using Elephant ears on a Mopar..... they flex front to rear. I always add a strut with heim joints to either the boss on the side of the block near the front and run it to the frame or from the bosses on the bellhousing to the frame. You can go forward or to the rear... doesn't matter.... as long as it prevents any fore/aft movement. With yours being a 4 speed you can actually see the motor moving when you push on the clutch pedal. Believe it or not, it will actually make the car react on the starting line a tiny bit !