Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods 1950 Plymouth P-19 Wheelbase issue

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by tk2leadsled, Nov 10, 2015.

1. tk2leadsled

tk2leadsled
    from Manor, TX

My question is Has anyone had an issue with the actual wheelbase of their car not matching up with the factory specs ? My coupe is supposed to have a 111 inch wheelbase but when I measure it comes out an inch short, on both sides. Yes the front tires are perfectly parallel too.

The reason I am wondering about it is I am installing a parallel four link. So I need to decide which way to go with it. It wouldn't hurt having the longer wheelbase cause I could run some big slicks at the drags and I was gonna widen and move the rear fenders back some. blah blah.

2. plym_46

plym_46
    from central NY

is the chassis stock or has it been clipped? The P17 had a 111 WB,

3. tk2leadsled

tk2leadsled
    from Manor, TX

It's the stock chassis. I drove it for a decade original style rear style leaf springs. With the original springs the wheel base measures 110 inches. It's totally weird.

4. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Are you measuring the WB with the weight of the car on the springs? If the car is elevated, and the springs unloaded, it could easily read less than the nominal specification. The rear leaf springs, in particular, will 'shorten' the distance when drooping.

Ray

5. notweak2

notweak2
    from alabama

I got no answers for ya. I do however, have a 50 Plymouth. Good luck.
    50 ply sm 1.jpg

tk2leadsled likes this.
  6. plym_46

plym_46
    from central NY

Is the rear axleproperly located on the springs do youhave any drive shaft issues?

7. tk2leadsled

tk2leadsled
    from Manor, TX

No worries ya'll I am just gonna nail it where the leaf springs had located the axle. I don't need to build another driveshaft and it was having no problems for 10 years.
    I do have the the jack stands under the outer pin of the lower A arm and thick sheet metal under the front jack stands so they can settle. The springs are taller in front than stock but I would think that would make the wheel base slightly longer if anything. I have jack stands and at the rear of the frame and I know the frame is truly level cause I am meausuring from the gauge holes on the side of the frame and indicated on the OEM frame blueprint.
    Thanks everyone for your thoughts. Oh another thing I discovered when measuring the leaf springs they aren't even exact. There was 1/8 " different distance of the locating pin to the front bushing. Oh the car did drive straight anyway.