Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Handling article in Rod and Custom

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by TigerFan, Nov 8, 2015.

1. TigerFan

TigerFan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Athens, GA

A few years ago, I recall an article in Rod and Custom about how you can make a hot rod handle well, with mostly traditional suspension parts.

Does any one recall that issue, and what year and month it was?

Thanks.

2. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

I do remember it (but would have guessed it was in SR not R&C) and have it saved in a paper file some place. But I can't help you now as it's buried in crap I've piled up as part of some renovation right now. Sorry. Gary

3. TigerFan

TigerFan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Athens, GA

Maybe it was in another magazine, though for some reason I thought it was R&C.
    Anyone else remember it? I'm just trying to figure which issue to hunt down.

Thanks.

4. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

5. Ned Ludd

Ned Ludd

I remember that Street Rodder ran a series of articles in the '90s, in which a number of cars were put through the whole road-test routine that the mainstream magazines do. I remember being seriously surprised at the figures a rather tidy pro-street-prepared '27 T produced. It ran lowish-profile radials on the front, on a straight tube axle which rode across the front of the radiator. I'd had a growing intuition that solid axles had more to offer than popular perceptions would suggest, and this confirmed it.

6. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

7. TigerFan

TigerFan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Athens, GA

Thanks, guys. Let me give that article a read.

Beyond these articles, does anyone have resources they suggest for thinking more deeply about making a traditional suspension handle well? I'm aware that there are just limitations inherent in our hobby and the era we choose to emulate, but with that in mind, what do you suggest?

For reference, I'm working with a Model A frame, 4" dropped A axle, reverse eye slider front spring, and Model T rear crossmember and spring. I'm open to slightly non-traditional improvements, within reason and within these parameters (e.g., no coil overs, etc.).

Ideas?

8. 22 track

22 track

9. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

Nice articles, thanks for posting!

10. Dan Timberlake

Dan Timberlake

=====

I sure like articles with some test results.

Small point, I believe the explanation of why a stiff anti roll bar causes understeer (front) or oversteer (rear) is a little too simplified, but makes the concept more understandable