Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest Thank You, Mr. Barris

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by J.Ukrop, Nov 6, 2015.

1. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

J.Ukrop submitted a new blog post:

Thank You, Mr. Barris

[​IMG]

Continue reading the Original Blog Post

Model T1 and MannyK like this.
  2. S.F.

S.F.

I first met George Barris when I was 15 at a crummy little dim lighted show at Hara Arena, around 1999 or 2000, he had a booth set up with pictures of the batmobile, the general lee, and the monkeys mobile. He was signing autographs for $5.00. I had him sign a picture of the Monkeys mobile, that picture currently hangs in my living room. He was always very responsive to questions.

3. The Barris Brothers built some of the most iconic custom cars,George went on to make a huge impact on the general public with the cars he built for television. HRP

OahuEli likes this.
  4. G V Gordon

G V Gordon
    from Enid OK

You have to respect someone who is "bigger than life" and Mr. Barris certainly filled that bill. The ultimate showman and promoter. R.I.P. George

5. SicSpeed

SicSpeed
    from Idaho

R.I.P. George Barris
    The Nick Matranga Mercury
    The Bob Hirohata Mercury
    The 2 best customs of all time

6. hotrod_willie

hotrod_willie

Sam Barris his brother

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

7. 6500in6th

6500in6th

Back in the '50's, I was a kid building model cars in the hills of eastern Kentucky and a major Barris fan. It was a dream come true when I heard the 1958 Autorama would make an appearance in nearby Huntington, West Virginia , the hometown of Bill Carr, the owner of the "Aztec" custom 1955 Chevy. Seeing the Aztec, Copper Kart, Jayne Mansfields's Continental Mark II and other Barris cars in person was a large thrill.
    [​IMG]
    Thanks for all the great cars and great memories, George!

Last edited: Aug 9, 2017
    eugene vik likes this.
  8. -Brent-

-Brent-

9. thank you very much ! RIP

10. seldom scene

seldom scene

11. Lebowski

Lebowski
    BANNED

12. bowie

bowie
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I think "bondo Bob" Williams said it best : A salute to those craftsmen that were...A devil with a hammer and hell with a torch. RIP Kustom King!

13. 'Mo

'Mo

RIP, "King".

Last edited: Nov 10, 2015
  14. seatex

seatex

God Speed, King of Kustoms! Long live the King!

15. Peelout30

Peelout30
    from Missouri

Thanks to an innovator and a man who showed us hot rods are only bound by own ideas

16. Boatmark

Boatmark

Condolences to the Barris family.

George Barris left behind a legacy of significant cars, but its possible that his efforts to promote the hobby / industry of custom car building to the general public may in fact be his most enduring legacy. And we are all the better for those efforts.

17. EdLouie

EdLouie

18. he's joining some of the others.....and man what build they will be adoing.....thanks GB for all you've done for the hobby....

19. R.I.P. George. Thanks for all the wild show cars over the years. Here's a rare photo of George driving one. tumblr_nxf3a0Cb0H1qc2alio1_1280.jpg

20. keywestjack

keywestjack
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Pittsburgh

I enjoyed seeing him at some of the big auctions. Seemed like a really nice guy.

21. Cyclone Kevin

Cyclone Kevin
    Alliance Vendor

N
    I have never seen this pic, very cool Godspeed George, Al & Fred-All contributors to our Hot Rod & Kustom way of Life.

22. Karrera

Karrera

FBIsmostwanted.jpg

Last edited: Nov 7, 2015
  23. I had the pleasure and good fortune to meet Mr. Barris at a Kustoms of America show in Pigeon Forge in 1995. Jack Hughes, a great friend from Ohio and Chaplain for the KOA (Kustoms of America) introduced me to him. We talked for several hours!! He would sign an autograph and turn back my way and we would pick up where we left off.

I asked him all kinds of questions; The Batmobile, His Brother Sam, famous movie stars cars, etc, and he would go into great detail about each subject. He made you feel like you had been his friend all your life! He had the best memory; details about each car built, even the cost.

He was a short guy, maybe five feet at the most, but you could tell he had charisma. First Class guy! He signed several of his books I had taken to the show, gave me his business card and invited me to his home in California. He will be missed. A Legend!!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 8, 2015
    wingnutz likes this.
  24. I spoke with him at a couple of shows around the U.S. and Ibought the first edition of the Mad Fabricators Society DVD signed by George and future greats Bob Merkt Senior and Junior (Bobbleed).

He was quite the promoter and for that I'm grateful as he was a leader that accelerated the acceptance of customized cars.