Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest George Barris...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Nov 5, 2015.

1. brad2v

brad2v

Bummer. He left an indelible mark on custom car history. RIP George

2. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

3. Squablow

Squablow

This is really the truth. Say what you want about his style or claiming credit, ect, but his promotional work is way more important to the hobby than a lot of people realize, and he deserves a lot of credit for that.

I met him at a car show as well and got his autograph, I'll always keep it.

brad2v, drdave and Merge like this.
  4. COUPES

COUPES
    from England

Just heard. Sad news. R.I.P George and thoughts to family.

5. George Barris.jpg
    George Barris
    November 20, 1925 - November 5, 2015

Last edited: Nov 5, 2015
  6. Broman

Broman
    from an Island

George made art out of cars and possibly cars out of art if you think about it....if nothing else he was able to live a hot rodders dream which, truth be told most of us lack the talent to do.

If he ONLY built the Hirohata Merc it would have been good enough...but he didn't stop there. Enough said.

Rest in Peace & cruise in the clouds....

~Bro

brad2v and drdave like this.
  7. flattandscruggs1

flattandscruggs1
    from alabama

from brett barris on facebook
    Sorry to have to post that my father, legendary kustom car king George Barris, has moved to the bigger garage in the sky. He passed on peacefully in his sleep at 2:45 am. He was surrounded by his family in the comfort of his home. He lived his life they way he wanted til the end. He would want everyone celebrate the passion he had for life and for what he created for all to enjoy. Thank you all for the posts and calls, your love is deeply appreciated. Peace.

[​IMG]

8. srs1

srs1

So sorry to hear that. The older I get ...........RIP

9. Sorry to hear.

Another legend lost.

10. Murphy32

Murphy32
    from Minnesota

Vaya con Dios GB.

11. ronnieroadster

ronnieroadster

Another icon has gone but his legacy will live on forever. Godspeed George

12. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

13. greaser 35

greaser 35
    from FRANCE

14. Aaron Kahan

Aaron Kahan

Man what a sad day. George Barris did more for the custom/hot rod world then most people know. His work was broad from photography to TV work to custom cars. I can definitely say my world was influenced greatly by what he and Sam created and promoted. I'm so honored I was able to work on some projects with him and spend some time with him. My heart goes out to his family. He lived a long successful life for which he will always be known for all his influence. RIP "The King of Kustomizing"
    -Aaron

Sprout, Merge, brad2v and 3 others like this.
  15. Perhaps the greatest innovator, promoter, and entrepreneur the hot rod/custom car world will ever know. There's a reason the Barris logo contains a crown. He was "King of the Customizers." Condolences to his family, friends, associates, and admirers. RIP George.

Merge, lothiandon1940 and drdave like this.
  16. Austinrod

Austinrod
    from Austin

The best of the best R.I.P George Barris

17. Tony

Tony

Met him a couple times and was always a gent to us.
    Sad news indeed. My deepest condolences to all his family and many many friends.
    RIP George, im sure you will never be forgotten as you've left quite a mark.

18. patmanta

patmanta
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Woburn, MA
    1. MASSACHUSETTS HAMB

19. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

Winfield & Watson Gathering-Mojave 110 (Small).jpg Blackie Gejeian Roast - Nov 3, 2012 227 (Small).jpg
    Sincere sympathy goes out to his immediate Family, and his extended car world Family. Blackie Gejeian Roast - Nov 3, 2012 227 (Small).jpg pic of George next to Blackie Gejeian's famous roadster that George helped with. Other pic is with Larry Watson, another legend that is gone.

LOU WELLS likes this.
  20. Daddyfink

Daddyfink

Thanks for firing up my imagination as a kid. Kooky customs or not, they where fun.

RIP Mr. Barris

Merge and traffic61 like this.
  21. RIP George-Deepest Condolences to all who knew and loved George and his work.

22. gassa-garage

gassa-garage

The Kustom world has lost a King , RIP George

23. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

I grew up reading about how the magazines would try to pit Barris with Roth and try to make some sort of competition between the two. There would be articles where both were interviewed and the magazines were always inventing some sort of false battle between Ed and George as to who is the biggest dog in the world of custom cars.
    Neither Roth or Barris took the bait and they both explained that their styles weren't something that were comparable.
    Both respected the other and went on their way to becoming legends.
    Some of the younger guys trying to play the big shot would always trash-talk George as "not being as talented and his brother, Sam". Well, that's bullshit and these young and ignorant snots proved how stupid they were by saying so.
    George was more than a custom car builder. He also mastered the art of "promotion".
    I got slammed by a guy a few years ago when I made the statement that the "Munster Coach" brought thousands and thousands of young kids into the hot rod and custom world by becoming fascinated with it and building model cars. I got kicked over the "Munster Coach" "having bad welds", etc., etc. The guy completely missed my point. The kids went wild over the crazy "Munster Coach" just as they went nuts over Roth's "Beatnik Bandit". Kids don't look at the quality of welds.....sheeeeesh!
    George Barris deserves all the credit and respect of any person who pioneered their way in any craft.
    Period. It doesn't matter whether you liked his work or not.
    The fact remains there will never be anyone more quickly identified in the custom car world to the general public as was George Barris.
    As with the death of Ed Roth, George's passing leaves a huge hole in our hobby of choice.
    What an amazing life well lived.
    Thank You, Sir.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2015
    catdad49, Murphy32, skywolf and 14 others like this.
  24. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Met George in '55, San Jose Autorama. Asked him some questions about chopping tops, he was just 'shining' me.
    Shirley turned around and gave him hell for being rude to a kid. He smiled, and said "Ask me anything."
    After that, he always remembered me ("the 13 yr old hot rod kid", he called me) For years he'd say that, never forgot. Only saw him every few months, but still? George met a lot o' guys!
    Godspeed, George.

catdad49 and Chrisbcritter like this.
  25. The Legend is no more among us ...

I was lucky enough to see several of his creations firsthand.

You will be missed Sir ...

Jim

26. belair

belair

The world just got a little smaller and duller...RIP

27. Merlin

Merlin
    from Inman, SC

28. pitman

pitman

A great pic of him w/Blackie's car! ^^^

29. SLAMIT

SLAMIT

Well said!! R.I.P.

30. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

RIP Mr Barris. I always really liked his photo shoots, he had a great eye for picking visually interesting locations.
    ScanImage003.jpg ScanImage004a.jpg