Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods NEED HELP

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by mattbohl, Nov 3, 2015.

1. mattbohl

mattbohl

ok guys I have a rumble seat that I had picked up for are old 1928 coupe thats what i was told it was for well unfortunately I got it home and it was way to wide and way to short, and the hinges were not correct eith. here is a cuple pictures of the lid, dimensions are 28 1/4 inches top to bottom and 41 inches from side to side [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. Fat47

Fat47
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Are you asking what does it fit?

3. mattbohl

mattbohl

yes we are trying to put it up for sale but don't wanna say it's for something that is not

4. F&J

F&J

You are lucky to have the handle. That ribbed design would also be on a door handle of that make and year of car, even on sedans.....so, somebody might recognize that design.

5. dorf

dorf
    from ohio

looks like a chevy handle

6. mattbohl

mattbohl

you you possibly know a year range this thing is in amazing shape

7. F&J

F&J

I was thinking the chrome round ferrule that the handle fits into, was used on GM cars in the 30s

It looks to be steel framed, not a wood frame? If steel, that would be starting in late 36? and up for GMs I believe,.............. and if we assume rumble seats went obsolete by maybe 38-39?......then I would start looking at 37 handles.

8. Guess you gotta start someplace, right?
    But I hope nobody tries to ID the cars and panels I built by what kind of handle is in it. Boy are they gonna be supprised lol

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  9. Chev used rumble seats through 37 or 38....looks like F&J may have nailed it.

10. not all earlier model chevies had a wood framed rumble lid. my 33 mercury series is framed with wood, Mallomikes 33 master is framed in steel like the one shown. it might be earlier than 37

11. dorf

dorf
    from ohio

I believe my 35 master had a hinge like that . by the way I don't think it had any wood in it .

12. mattbohl

mattbohl

I am happy to at least narrow it down to a chevy seat now to try and get it around a year, thanks for all the help guys this has my dad and I flustered

13. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

I looked at a lot of pictures of rumble seats on Google, and the most distinguishing feature for me is the latch. Most of the ones I saw were a turning type latch, but your has a retractable "tongue" that is different.

Don

14. F&J

F&J

^those door handle "ferrules" are what I was talking about on GM built cars. I 've seen them on GM Fisher bodied cars as well as Cadillac and LaSalle Fleetwood built bodies.....but I don't know if other non-GM cars used those ferrules

tb33anda3rd likes this.
  15. mattbohl

mattbohl

Thanks for all the help guys forgetting me in the right direction to find out what it's for

16. mattbohl

mattbohl

any more input on this tonight?

17. MRTS33

MRTS33

Looks like my 33 Pontiac lid. What are the measurements on it?

18. I know you just look at pictures :)

dimensions are 28 1/4 inches top to bottom and 41 inches from side to side

tb33anda3rd likes this.