Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects HELP! What do I do with this chop? Has anyone done this before?

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by Flathead Tony, Feb 4, 2015.

1. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

After studying the photo of the deck lid and the distance it misses the lower piece below the deck lid I'd cut across the panel below the window about an inch above the trunk lid and then cut the section out of the donor car as close under the widow as I thought I needed to fill the gap that moving the deck lid back where it belongs. I'd run that cut on the donor rig down to the seam where the fenders fit on and cut clear to the bottom of the back along that seam so I had the full trunk opening to move to the chopped car. You might even want to pull the fenders off the donor car and cut down a couple inches on the panel the fenders bolt to so you have the max metal to work with when you do the transition from the deck lid to the fender edge. You might have to section the bottom of the trunk lid a bit to keep the lines right and not create a hump or bustle but you have to get the deck lid back where it goes and then decide if it needs a mod. The sides are all about shaping the filler pieces for a smooth flowing transition.

Another option would be to cut the back section of the trunk floor loose and slide the back piece forward to line up with the deck lid and then use the back piece of opposite rear fenders off the donor car to extend the inner piece of the rear fender area. You could cut the donor fender so you had a piece that ran up the side of the trunk lid for a long ways like the Cad fenders in Mavrick Daddy's photos (post #24) are. That would give you the look of extended fenders when you were done and had extended a filler panel back to the bumper or used a bumper that matched the new shape.

koolkemp likes this.
  2. czuch az

czuch az

You will have a bitchen car when your done. Right now you have a cool garage filler.
    Do it up.

Flathead Tony likes this.
  3. Flathead Tony

Flathead Tony

Yes it does in the trunk area...

Attached Files:

4. Flathead Tony

Flathead Tony

Excellent information...thank you

5. clem

clem

Im not into 50s customs stuff, but I really like what you have there, I hope you see it through to the end.

6. Flathead Tony

Flathead Tony

wow...i love it

7. young'n'poor

young'n'poor
    from Anoka. MN

Has potential! Get to work and post pictures, it has a good profile and finished right would be a killer custom

8. Martin Harris

Martin Harris

I believe that's called a "sunk roof" chop. Kind've half way between a chop and a section. It's a rare approach, but it has been done before. I like the look. Go for it I reckon, I'd love to see it finished off.

9. 'Mo

'Mo

Here is a HAMB'ers chopped '46 Ford. Note the vertical cuts in the C pillar and in the fender, to bring things
    into alignment. (I have seen this done where the fender cut went all the way down, but could not find a picture.)
    Perhaps you could apply some of these principles to your car.

[​IMG]

10. Gimme that thing, I'll show you how to do it :)
    It will be easy. At least with this there won't be and paint and bondo to grind off, won't have cut the entire thing apart and start over either.

Cuts in the c pillars, one across the roof, slide the back up, raise the ass end then bridge the gaps.

kidcampbell71 and volvobrynk like this.
  11. CadMad

CadMad

To help give you an idea of tge shapes that uou need to fabricate it,is a good idea to fill the void using linoleum. Easy to cut and shape and throw away if you,are wrong. You canwill prpbably have some reverse contour shapes. I'm not drunk, just can't type with fat fingers.
    I'dget the side profile handsome first rest will follow naturally.

Attached Files:

12. alphabet soup

alphabet soup
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Ian Roussel did this same chop on one of the Full Custom Garage shows. I can't remember if it was a Plymouth or not. But it was the same basic thing. I don't know if you could find that episode some where or not. But if you could, I think it would be a big help.

13. Moto Moto

Moto Moto
    from Krum, TX

Hell I say roll with brother! It'll turn out cool.

14. Jose perez

Jose perez

this is the video of Ian "sinking in" an Oldsmobile... Similar to what you have. What's the status on the project now? Any pics?

15. they did that same thing on moster garage the 51 cool daddy caddy look it up when i first saw it made me look it up they just did a carson roof to top it off..

16. Fender1325

Fender1325

This ones been on craigslist for sale by me....i guess OP is moving on

17. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

A friend did similar to his 46 Olds more door. Chopping through the rear 1/4s and windscreen pillars the entire roof was dropped and brought forward for alignment. If you look at corner of trunk you will see the gap taper open and at the bottom near the gravel shield it appears short. A lot of work to rectify the sins of the former. This car had a few more cuts, filler pieces and a lot of hammer welding to get it right

. Spider side1.jpg Spider side.jpg Spider chop.jpg Spider screen.jpg

18. texasred

texasred
    from Houston

Look up Bill Hinse fleetline chevy chop he has done this numerous times. one was featured in a car culture de luxe..should not be hard to find

19. nh-lead-man

nh-lead-man

Different approach here .If you DO NOT have metal fabrication experience then find someone to help you!! Put the car where you can see it every day just look at it take a stool or chair and look again and again talk to you helper and work out an approach to what you will do. Close up those GAPS in your head YOU SEE IT!! To save this car I would make a horizontal pie cut at the rear body panel to half way of the rear quarter glass about 2 inches below the top of the quarter belt line, that being the narrowest point then hinge it down from this point to meet the trunk rain gutter. A cut r/l downward at the bottom of the trunk area to allow the quarter panels to drop down Yes cut the quarter panel horizontal direction it should be below the deck lid gutter down low on the fender/ quarter in the back running up hill to under the rear quarter glass about 5 feet it will give you a gradual slope in the quarter panel that follows the top.Looking at the side view your cutting through the fender weld a piece of 16 gauge metal at the point over laping then take a screw and put it through the end of the pie cut up nearest the door so you can now tip it backwards like a hinge. I think it will clear the inner wheel house and you will have a take off point from the back of the door at the B piller want that to be gradual, might need a little filler metal at the front of the top fender line you will still have the fender mldg area intact and will appear stock when finished you might have to pinch it or raise the top up a little bit. BRACING- measuring make sure that top is dead on before you start .Your going to overlap, so tuck the pie cut inside the lower part of the quarter I would use some screws temporarily this will help a little to tighten up the gap. I would tack some small metal strips across the deck lid to the rain gutter keeping the lines even make it a little wider you can dress that up if its to tight your going to have a hard time making a line. Take pictures and notes and patterns of filler strips you have two sides take a measurement from a fixed point like a mldg hole or piller its a fixed object. I use my lazer its dead nuts or i can do it the hard way too. Taillights should be a gradual smooth look NO bat wings NO CADDY Bullets. Round Lincoln taillights might look nice. YOU can do it! its going to look Nice Take a piece of paper go over the gap and fill it in with paper might help you see what direction your going. Im not trying to minimize your experience in any way. Baron Von Vasnic