Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Old 1937 Ford Racecar out of storage after 30 years

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Zinc, Sep 8, 2015.

1. glrbird

glrbird

A local guy here in San Antonio named Alan Lampardie ( not sure of spelling ) built the car and was a member of Gear Grinders car club for many years. It was a street car when the picture of it at Alamo Dragway , it was a car club outing at the track. I had heard Alan had moved to Houston years ago

AHotRod likes this.
  2. exterminator

exterminator

Agree with everyone who said run it with a less potent big block and run it with that original paint! Love your car.

3. Bajita

Bajita
    from Laredo

Saw this show car at the Laredo,Texas civic center back in 79' along with its rotating show stand. Truly a work of art. Lots of chrome and custom paint. It took First place.
    I hope the owner gets it back on the street or the show. I will look for the pictures that I took that day.

AHotRod likes this.
  4. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

That son of a bitch is bad ass. Love it. I too would be driving that thing as is on the street and strip. The paint is killer.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2015
  5. In my opinion all x-drag car especially early one should be put back on the street they have so much history and class they need to be seen by all. Toning them down some so that they are streetable is just for the safety of all. They can still be somewhat wild but be able to control them. Then you just enjoy playing with them when you feel like it. That is one awesome ride you don't see those paint jobs anymore, today it would probably cost 30,000 dallors to have it recreated.

AHotRod likes this.
  6. Risky

Risky

I may have a picture of this car at the Waco rod run. I'm at work atm will check pictures later tonight.

7. Finn Jensen

Finn Jensen
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

This is really a neat car, but then I am a bit prejudiced.

volvobrynk likes this.
  8. AHotRod

AHotRod

I would so LOVE to be able to have a paint job like that today (for '70's prices) ..... wash and wax it and put it on the street !!!

9. indyjps

indyjps

ZL1 to the restorers, use the funds for a bigger BBC that's milder bit will still run the number, dress it like the ZL1 and go.

10. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

I'd be happy with that and I recall that OEM ZL1s had those 2 x vertical ribs above the timing cover

11. Gary Addcox

Gary Addcox
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

This '37 reminds me of one that was multi-green when in San Antonio years ago. The owner's name was Alan Lamparty. The coupe was always in the custom car shows with the wheels removed, chrome early-Ford brake drums glowing in the lights. It was later painted orange with more-or-less the same paint scheme. I don't remember the car being raced, but it very well could have been. I believe Alan was/is a Gear Grinder which is the oldest car club in San Antonio, started around 1951. What say, anyone ?

12. Gary Addcox

Gary Addcox
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Imagine the coupe with candy/heavy metallic green where the orange is, and that is what it was in the 60's/ early 70's ??? It was quite a sight.

13. glrbird

glrbird

427_1937.jpg Mr. Addcox, are you sure about the green, I can't remember any green on the car, but sometimes I can't remember my wife's name. I had heard Alan passed away some years ago. back around the early 70's I bought the front wheels from Alan when he wanted to go to spindle mounts, as in the picture. Wonder if the car came from his estate or did someone else start working on the updates.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2015
  14. Risky

Risky

I checked my pictures and was right. I thought I remembered this car :). These are from the 1974 mini nationals in Waco.

Attached Files:

15. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

This car is cool, but I still don't see any meaningful evidence that it was ever actually a race car. No cage visible in the period photos, the track picture it has carbs on the blower, I looks like it was a WILD street car alright, but nothing in anything posted so far says 'race car".
    Oh, and I think the tail lights are '63 corvair, they turned up on a few hot rods in the late sixties early seventies, I'd keep 'em.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2015
    brad2v and volvobrynk like this.
  16. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

I thought the tail lights are 50' [or so] Lincoln..

17. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

you might be right. See how I gave myself an "out" with the "I think"?:D

volvobrynk likes this.
  18. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

'63 Corvair. ooops!
    baker2a.jpg

volvobrynk likes this.
  19. glrbird

glrbird

The coupe never was a race car, it was a street rod, then mostly a show car when it was in San Antonio. Alan may have change the car after he moved to Houston. It never sat that low and did not have a narrowed rear end. remember it was 1970's a roll cage was not required for a lot of local tracks unless it was 10.00 or faster. In the picture it has a tunnel ram and holleys. hence the name "Tunnel Rat"and that was a car club outing at the race track, I was there that weekend and it was only a low 14 second car, Driven there and driven home.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2015
  20. corndog

corndog
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Indiana

I think those taillights are 49-50 Lincoln. I say put it back togther and drive it and definitely keep the paint.

21. Didn't see if you had any paint signatures on it ... but that car has shades of Rod Spook to it. Badass old school painter in the Alamo City. "Spook" anywhere on it ? It would be a small hand painted signature if so. Looks like a job he would have done. Apologies if off base. Cool frekn' car !

22. glrbird

glrbird

Artie "Spook" Lund did do a lot of cars and this does look like his work. He used a casper the ghost character with signature. Artie passed away a few years ago.

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  23. That thing is horrible, im sure your embarrassed to have it at your shop so i'll just come by and get it out of your hair.....

Dam that car is nasty! Why cant I find this stuff instead of the rusted out crap I always find!

24. glrbird

glrbird

Seeing this car after a lot of years got my interest, I contacted the historian of the Gear Grinders car club here in San Antonio and he gave me this information on the owner/builder ;
    Yes Alan was a Gear Grinder for along time. He moved to Houston. He is very much alive as far as I know. The car was painted several times. White and green was done by Roger Apelt. The current paint was by Russell Dogen(? sp). It was signed on the trunk. Beware if your removing the old tube rear bumper. It was filled with lead (I think) and weighs a ton.

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  25. I'd love to have it...but I'd prolly sell the valuable engine and take the $$$ to spend on a new paint job...Yeah! I said it....looks like the painter overheated his bong while painting that car...and I believe his little sister came along after he was all done and used a can of kyrlon flat black to "edge" it for him.
    A second generation MoPar hemi with a 727 would be my choice...........sit it low and go back to Americans for the front and ET fuelers on the back.
    But that's just me.

26. The37Kid

The37Kid

I noticed the door handle, that is a shift handle isn't it? Bob

27. bowie

bowie
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Good eye! Sure do look like a couple of Hurst T handles, to me too.

28. PKap

PKap
    from Alberta

No question the engine would end up with an EFI conversion on the Hilborn and run it in that car with a tremec. Second choice would be 6/71 on a bbc, and the engine would fall into the Camaro parked next to it.
    Looks like a lot of potential in your shop.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!