Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs Bill Cushinberry's "Surfin' Bird"

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by stillrunners, Oct 22, 2015.

1. well...not sure if it's been posted already....not for everybody - but a custom none the less by a great customiser....it's on Evil bay at the moment....

2. WOW! I took pictures of this almost 35 years ago sitting at a gas station in Reno Nevada. It looked about the same. I didn't know anything about it. I was on a delivery or pickup with a coworker and didn't have much time to look at it. I never went back to check it out again.

3. Not a fan. That pooch got screwed hard.

4. belair

belair

The automotive equivalent of the platypus. Even God made some ugly stuff.

5. El Pratt

El Pratt

I'm glad to see this car is still around. I had Bill paint a 47 Ford for me at the time he was building this for KHJ. He was under pressure to get it done and hired a guy from the Barris shop to help him in the evenings and week-ends. Bill did the front end with very little lead, while Steve did the taillights using body filler and there was constant kidding between the two over the lasting ability of lead over plastic. I have a lot of fond memories while at the shop and ugly or not I'd love to own that car.

6. typo41

typo41
    Member Emeritus

That's what happens when you lie about what's under the hood. :cool:

belair likes this.
  7. brad2v

brad2v

Honestly, I like it. It ain't the prettiest thing, but it's pretty cool

8. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

They weren't all gems. It would be a scream if a car by a 'name' customizer went for less than a stocker.

9. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

many big time builders built some big time turds - beauty is in the eye of the beholder

10. Dan Timberlake

Dan Timberlake

I wonder if there is any brazing under the plastic or the lead

J. A. Miller likes this.
  11. Love it or hate it you have to consider the time frame of when it was built...I'd roll it out in later 60's fashion and grin the whole time..

brad2v likes this.
  12. It was on Ebay....and to think it was built for a Radio Station give away in LA.....wow...

brad2v likes this.