Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Stuck bolt help

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by sprint29, Oct 21, 2015.

1. sprint29

sprint29

I am trying to take the main bolts out of a 1935 ford car front axle to the radius rods. Having no luck what so ever. Soaked in PB Blaster, oil, WD- 40, etc. Even put it in a 12 ton press and applied heat to the axle . It's not moving. I can destroy the axle if I have to, but I'd rather not. I only need the bolt because it has the brake bracket on it.
    Thanks
    Mark

2. 117harv

117harv

Several threads here on the subject, the search function is your friend. :)

3. 117harv

117harv

4. 117harv

117harv

5. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

6. chessterd5

chessterd5
    from u.s.a.

Would it be possible and\or easier to make another brake bracket?

7. Crankhole

Crankhole

Heat the axle, soak it with penetrating oil, grab a pipe wrench with a long breaker bar on it and try to twist it. Once it moves a lil, you should be able to coax it out.

8. sprint29

sprint29

9. Kroil (sp) penetrate oil. Friend brought me a can. Could not budge the screw. Two days soaking and some bumping with the air chisel it turned.

10. sprint29

sprint29

I heated the axle until it was red hot with the press on it. It's stuck

11. You wanna save the bolt ?
    I'd try a want ad for the bolts you need.
    The guys over on ford barn have a bunch of stuff. How much can someone charge for an perch bolt ?

How time and grief you got into getting that one out?

saltflats likes this.
  12. F&J

F&J

Well, I suppose the red heat migrated to the shank of the bolt, and the press might have ballooned the shank to make it worse now?

Can you put up a pic of the perch bolt you need, as somebody might have one. I am not sure what a 35-36 perch head looks like, so I can't go look to see if I have one

13. sprint29

sprint29

I tried the press before I applied the heat also. Nothing moved. I'll see about getting a picture up here tomorrow and see if someone has one.
    Thanks

14. 55willys

55willys

I might have a good one. PM me with a picture

15. A fire wrench is your friend in removing spring perch bolts/. HRP

302GMC likes this.
  16. Two shabby

Two shabby

Someone on here recommended heating red and letting cool all the way down half a dozen times or so. THats my vote

17. badshifter

badshifter

Usually the goal is to save the axle and or radius rods. The perch bolt is often destroyed in the removal process as they are easier and cheaper to obtain than the axle or bones.

saltflats likes this.
  18. Gene Boul

Gene Boul

I've used the press as a last resort. It usually spreads the part or bends the companion piece...just sayin!

19. kevinwalshe

kevinwalshe

@NealinCA wrote up a good post of how to remove the perches. Heat it up almost red hot, and use an air hammer to punch it through. Try the search function to find the original post.

20. The air hammer trick worked on some of the hardware on my '59. Even hitting around the bolt sets up enough of a vibration to shake stuck things loose.

21. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I like this one a buddy told me about at the watering hole one night. Take a nut big enough to weld through the center of, cut it in half to make sure you get good penetration (that's what she said) grab your mig and weld the crap out of it, then take your impact wrench and run it the hell out of there while it's red hot. Heat plus torque equals child support in my case but it might back that thing out of there in yours. good luck.

22. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Generally a good place hit with a 64 oz cross peen hammer will do wonders if that does not work then the blue tip comes in handy.