Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Rochester tri Power

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hudson48, Oct 19, 2015.

1. hudson48

hudson48

I have a proper tri power set up on my roadster andthis uses just the centre carb for normal running and idling. Suddenly the front carb is pumping lots of fuel out at idle even though the butterflys are closed. Could this be the float level with the needle and seat staying open and excess fuel needing somewhere to go.
    I normally get good advice from Larry at Automotion who supplied the kits and linkages for my setup.
    However he can only be contacted by phone and it is late night there and I am looking for some quick advice.

2. Larry Fulton

Larry Fulton

Yes... Since there is no fuel at the base plate / throttle blades... The fuel is coming out of the bowl some how... I'd look at the condition of both the Needle & Seat... I'd suggest not using the wire needle retainer that attaches to both the needle and the float... I'd make sure the Seat is tight into the air horn... I'd make sure the float isn't leaking taking on fuel... I'd look at the Cluster Gaskets... don't forget the fiber gasket under the center screw over sized head... Lastly I'd look at the void in the bowl casting, between the cluster and bowl... While rare, I have seen small pinholes in here (caused by water sitting) which lets fuel transfer from the bowl to the venturi bores of the carbs which looks like a bad needle & seat or float.

3. What he said.
    I'm running small base 2Gs for the last 3 years. Started flooding at idle and after sitting for any more than a few minutes it would flood bad. Lot of trial and error, but turned out to be bowl casting, between the cluster and bowl. I replaced the carb body (thanks Bog) and it's good as new.

4. hudson48

hudson48

Rang Larry this morning(our time) and as usual got good advice followed up with an email with instructions.
    So this morning I set about pulling the tops off all the carbs,resetting the float arm and the float level and drop.
    There were things that were not right with the settings I had and redid all to Larry's specs.
    Back together and now it starts and idles properly, no fuel dribbling into the front and rear carbs and just went for a test run and it is probably running the sweetest it ever has. Hopefully all is now good. Thanks Larry.

5. Maybe post up the instructions if anyone has a tri power issue......I know my friend has had some with his 2 jet setups.

6. hudson48

hudson48

Well the info from Larry is really for paying customers and includes his expertise that he has developed over many years. It was provided in confidence and that will be respected.