Register now to get rid of these ads!

History 1948 El Mirage Official Program - Found this by accident!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by huffreport, Oct 15, 2015.

1. huffreport

huffreport

I found this pretty rare piece of literature over the weekend, totally by accident. It was just in with some other stuff I bought. I tried Google to see what else was out there on the net, but came up empty handed, so I'm thinking most people h IMG_1757.JPG ave probably never seen this particular program... Anyway, I took some photos and decided to post them. If you look at the inside cover, it says the cover drawing is by Larry Shinoda. I found that interesting....Oh, and the car club names, some of those are hoot. Enjoy! (PS IMG_1768.JPG IMG_1769.JPG IMG_1770.JPG ....no, it's not for sale!)
    IMG_1758.JPG IMG_1759.JPG IMG_1760.JPG IMG_1761.JPG IMG_1762.JPG IMG_1763.JPG IMG_1764.JPG IMG_1765.JPG IMG_1766.JPG IMG_1767.JPG

IMG_1757.JPG

volvobrynk, harpo1313 and 302GMC like this.
  2. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

Cool - 67 years ago was an exciting time for setting records

Last edited: Oct 15, 2015
    volvobrynk likes this.
  3. A very rare gem that program, congrats on the score and thanks for posting.

4. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

This's the first time since '54 that I've seen that program. Rare indeed.

volvobrynk likes this.

5. Phillips

Phillips
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks for posting that is a great piece of history!

6. A lot of familiar names in the advertising. That's a real treasure.

volvobrynk likes this.
  7. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

So then we wonder how it made it's way to Missouri ...

volvobrynk likes this.
  8. Probably some wise Californian got out before the state started going down the drain.

volvobrynk likes this.
  9. huffreport

huffreport

Well, this came from an estate. They had the auction over the weekend.... I knew this guy some 30 years ago; really a nice guy. I hadn't seen him in many, many years. But, he was a very serious collector, and went to a lot of shows, even Hershey. So, who knows. Maybe he bought it in California at a swap meet 35 years ago. Or, maybe someone from CA sold it to him at Hershey. I'm just glad it survived. He passed away about 5 years ago, but I guess it takes time to settle an estate. I'm just glad I was at the auction. Most everybody else was up in Hershey that day... Good for me, bad for everybody else. This guy had some amazing stuff.

The El Mirage program was in a cabinet among a pile of magazines. I actually had to buy the ENTIRE wall of stuff in his office just to get some old Cadillac Trim and Color albums on the floor. (You know how auctions are; sometimes you have to buy in bulk, so I did...)

So, I didn't mind taking the rest of the stuff, as I have a lot of literature myself. When we started digging through what I had bought, I noticed this old Hot Rod while we were still in the basement.... I had someone hold it up for me, so I could take the photo, as I'd found something I'd looked for most of my life. (25 years ago I found a stash of circa '48-49 Hot Rods, but they were what I considered "expensive" at the time, and I've been kicking myself for 25 years for not buying them then. So, imagine the look on my face when these old Hot Rods came out of the cabinet!).... There were many more from 48-50. I was happy enough about that alone!..... IMG_1695.JPG

volvobrynk, 302GMC and stillrunners like this.
  10. Nice job, you hit the jackpot on that lit. Wish I knew that guy when I lived in Missouri, used to hang with some old EFV8 guys with old collections like that.

volvobrynk likes this.
  11. huffreport

huffreport

He had a ton of stuff... You wouldn't believe it... I'm sure you'll recognize these headlights! They went for $1,300.... Here are a few pics. (Not sure why some images are added twice...???)

IMG_1562.JPG fi160.cgi.jpg IMG_1562.JPG IMG_1555.JPG IMG_1684.JPG

Attached Files:

12. Rockerhead

Rockerhead
    Member Emeritus

The Russetta program you bought is rare to find these days. Only a few hundred were printed for the Lakes racers then. That issue had the Larry Shinoda drawing of the Beck, former Rufi, streamliner on the cover. Larry's many later accomplishments included designing of the Corvette Stringray for Chevrolet.
    Trivia note: You will find Don Montgomery listed in the C Coupe class as no. 196. That is me.

Don

volvobrynk and Jimmy B like this.
  13. THIS ^ is why I check in here frequently, and also why I do not post as frequently. There is more knowledge to be had, than I have. Ergo, I must listen more.

Cosmo

volvobrynk likes this.
  14. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

Okay that is plain awesome!

Did you buy them hot rod mags? Thats so cool!

Is all those shelf filled with car related stuff? Is that all yours? :eek:

That is such a cool place!

I like that truck, I would love it with out the doolies!
    Did you buy that.

15. huffreport

huffreport

I bought about a small truckload of magazines and books from the basement. Mostly Automobile Quarterly, going all the way back to Vol 1, Number 1. Those, lots of big books, and a whole lot of trim and color books for Cadillacs and Chryslers. That's where I found the Hot Rods. The room next door had thousands and thousands of car mags, all neatly labeled on the doors of the filing cabines, and the rest organized into small boxes. There was an entire wall of the "little pages", R&C, Car Craft, etc.... One guy bought all of those, for about $600. I also scored an original '53 Vette owners manual, near mint, a 58 Vette owners manual also near mint... Just a ton of stuff. Oh, and I bought one of the cars... Quite a day. They even had a Vol 1 Num 1 Edition of Playboy. That sold for about $1,900. I'd never seen one before.... Amazing. IMG_1668.JPG

volvobrynk likes this.
  16. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

So cool!

Epic!
    @huffreport did you buy the flamed pick up a-boner? Please say you did!

And post some pics of the car you bought!

18. huffreport

huffreport

OK, the fact that you were there in '48 just blows my mind!

The fact that you've authored that many books on the subject is also astounding. (Obviously, I read your profile.)

I just can't imagine how much fun that must have been back in '48. I suspect it was also pretty scary, as I've seen photos where things ended badly at times.

Glad to know you're on the HAMB too!