Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Tech Week super dumb wheel holder for painting

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 1oldtimer, Oct 11, 2015.

1. Some of us don't have junk axle shafts lying around, so this will work with a post, pipe or axle bell.

I used some junk model A axle bells I had.
    wheel painter-3.jpg

Some wood
    wheel painter-2.jpg
    A lazy Susan from Home Depot, screws and 2 carriage bolts (total cost around $6.00)
    wheel painter-1.jpg
    Cut a hole in the center of the 2 wood blocks 2 1/8" (same size as a deadbolt lock)
    wheel painter-4.jpg
    Drilled 2 holes in the bottom board for the carriage bolts though the bell, screw the Lazy Susan on to the top board making sure it's level (so it can turn and NOT loose the bearings because it's a cheap stamped steel swivel). Drilled 4 holes into the top wood to get to the screws for the lower board. Screwed Lazy Susan into lower board, again making sure it's level.
    wheel painter-5.jpg
    You can round the edges to your liking, I rounded mine to fit the wheel better. I also drilled for 2 different bolt pattern (5x4.5 and 5x5.5) and have 2 removable dowels to hold the wheel on and to aid in spinning it (not pictured).
    wheel painter-6.jpg

Again it's a dumb tech, but it's using what you have on hand or buying very little.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2015
    TagMan, volvobrynk, hipster and 3 others like this.
  2. louisb

louisb

Now you just need to add a holder for a pin striping tool.

--louis

lothiandon1940 and Hnstray like this.
  3. NashRodMan

NashRodMan

Simple doesn't mean it's dumb. This is simple but clever and cheap. I like it!

4. Simplicity works well, always. Great job!

5. Yep,
    What he said ^^

volvobrynk and lothiandon1940 like this.
  6. I thought about that, next one might be out of aluminum with a better swivel.....needs to turn true. I've found one old Lazy Susan at goodwill already but my girlfriend claimed it, it had a good, smooth swivel.

7. good idea, i have been planning to do something like this. i have been saving rotten lawn mower decks to steal the bearing housings and pulleys.

8. john worden

john worden
    from iowa

A rotating holder is the way to go for painting rims.
    I collected some recliner swivels for the job.

9. This holder could also be used for sanding/polishing/buffing aluminum wheels and for grinding the lettering off tires' sidewalls.

Thanks!

10. prpmmp

prpmmp

Boy that is dumb!! So dumb it makes me feel even dumber I didn't think of it!!! Pete