Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Pontiac V8 or OHC-6

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by blakeadams, Oct 3, 2015.

1. blakeadams

blakeadams
    from Devon, AB

Hi there,
    I have a Canadian '48 Pontiac Streamliner with all original running gear. Car is in good shape, solid floors, frame, etc. Engine runs, but will need a rebuild. As much as I would love to keep the car original, it was bought to be a summer time daily driver for me and the family. For this reason I would be more comfortable with a somewhat newer power plant, brakes, etc. I also want to keep it Pontiac powered. Long story short, do I clip it and go Pontiac V8, or be a little different and go with a Pontiac OHC-6? I'm trying to do this somewhat on the cheap, just to prove it can be done.
    Thanks,
    Blake.

2. PontiacPower67

PontiacPower67

Both great choices... I have a 400 in my Lemans, but the OHC 6 is a great (under rated) engine, and might be a better choice for a summer daily driver. If I was you I would shop around and whichever one you can find a better deal for at the time, go with it. I always appreciate keeping a pontiac, pontiac powered.... You can't make a wrong choice in this situation.
    Also, look up rock and roll engineering... Bruce is a Pontiac expert

3. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

Don't write off the original engine too quickly. It might be you can put it back in commission for a few hundred $$$ bucks with a ring and valve job. As long as the rod isn't sticking thru the block this could be the easiest and cheapest way to go.

How is the compression? Oil pressure?

I notice you are in Alberta. The only Pontiacs you are likely to see are Canadian versions with Chev engines.

If you can find a Pontiac OHC six it would make a great engine for your car, unusual but still good power and economy.

If you want a V8 get a Chev 350 or 305 and stick Pontiac decals on the valve covers.

The stock front end can be rebuilt as necessary and will give good service. If you stay on the prairies you won't even need disc brakes.

I would check the steering and suspension for wear and repair or rebuild as necessary.

4. PontiacPower67

PontiacPower67

Rusty,
    You have a good point about sticking with the original drivetrain, as it could be the most economically sound route to take, and possibly be working on a second engine in the garage that you could take your time on a little more.

Blake,
    Is it in fact the chevy engine that is normally found in the Canadian Pontiacs, or is it the straight 8 Silverstreak, or the straight flathead 6 ?...

As for a different engine, it is sac religious to put a Chevy engine in the Pontiac... Not necessarily better or cheaper.... Never underestimate Pontiac engineering...

I don't dislike Chevys but just not necessary to put in a Pontiac.... SBC 350, great engine... SBC 305, garbage. IMO...

5. blakeadams

blakeadams
    from Devon, AB

Thanks for the input, everyone. The current engine is a Pontiac flathead 6.

6. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

I don't know, General Motors Canada put millions of Chev engines in Pontiacs. It is almost impossible to find a genuine Pontiac V8 in Canada.

7. mike in tucson

mike in tucson
    from Tucson

An OHC6 block is unique since the cam provisions in the block are missing along with the pushrod passages and the side plate. However, the crank, rods and pistons are same as 230/250 Chevy six. I knew a guy in the Dallas area who did an OHC6 using a 292 Chevy crank (as I remember) that worked. For the OHC, cams were all regrinds as I remember. The "Sprint" option used a quadrajet carb and something like 10:1 compression to make 200+ horsepower. Good thing is that, except for the cam and lash adjusters, most of the wear items are pretty standard stuff.

8. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

Having had both my opinion is that the OHC6 is cool but mine was a pain to get parts for and had problems. The .060 over 455 however ran great and with no complaints. So in this case I am going for the "If some's good, More's better.