Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Need King Pins..Is This A Stock Model A Axle?

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Mark Jenny, Oct 2, 2015.

1. Mark Jenny

Mark Jenny

hi guys...I need some king pins and want to know if I should order them for a stock model A setup?...I realize that the disc brakes are an add on, but what about the rest of it?..thanks in advance...heres the pics

Attached Files:

2. ClarkH

ClarkH
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Attached Files:

The Brown Sound and Atwater Mike like this.
  3. I got these dimensions from Bruce Lancaster a while back maybe you can run a tape on it and see if that works for you.

Here's what I have in my pocket notes...rough measurements, but close enough to tell:
    Perches, then kingpin tops, then perch thickness:
    '28-31 36 1/4 51 7/8 2 1/4
    '32-36 36 3/8 51 3/4 2
    '37-41 38 1/2 50 2 1/4
    '42-48 40 5/8 52 2 1/4

These are quick yardstick numbers...probably '28-36 are same at widths, but close enough to identify

4. patmanta

patmanta
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Woburn, MA
    1. MASSACHUSETTS HAMB

Looks 42 to 48 to me.

5. 31Apickup

31Apickup

You need to get the king pins for the spindles, you have square backs which are 42-48 which uses a longer king pin then the 37-41 round backs.

6. alchemy

alchemy

You've got a '48 axle, spindle and wishbone there. The '48 is known because that's when they started using the tube shocks, and yours has the hole in the axle for them.

7. Mark Jenny

Mark Jenny

OK guys...thanks for all the info..time to replace them king pins ;)

8. Yea and on close inspection you can see where they cut the front of the yolk off to use a spring over instead of spring in front.
    [​IMG]

hey @alchemy the bearing always goes on the bottom correct? The reason I ask is I got my '37 axle set up with the bearing on the bottom but the axle in my A has the bearing on the top. Jog my memory here please sir.

9. alchemy

alchemy

A and '32-4 used the bearing on top because the spindle was narrower and fit tight to the axle.

10. Andy

Andy

Get rid of the monoleaf before it snaps and puts you in a ditch.
    What is with the shackles? Bolts? Get a shackle kit.

11. Mark Jenny

Mark Jenny

I know squat about these suspensions>>i've redone one is all, and that was tearing out mustang crap and putting in A suspension..so the monoleaf etc is all new to me...

12. Mark Jenny

Mark Jenny

heres the one I put in my 31 coupe, not quite complete, but most there in this pic 31 coupe 001.JPG

13. Mark Jenny

Mark Jenny

this is what I started with 1421011261801_IMG_20150111_115327_500.jpg

14. Andy

Andy

The monoleaf springs are really stiff and will snap. Maybe they are better now but I helped a guy change one out. It broke clean in half with no warning. Please get a conventional spring.

15. Mark Jenny

Mark Jenny

ok..thanks for the advise..I've used them in rear suspensions on 50's chevy trucks to lower the truck..is that the same application here?..to lower the nose?

16. alchemy

alchemy

Hey Mark, after you get the new kingpins in, put some grease in them this time. Your pics show them as dry as a bone. Probably why they went bad. Mine have grease squeezing out every joint, and I still think I ought to shoot some fresh stuff in them. Henry said they needed a new squirt every thousand miles.

17. Andy

Andy

On the back of a pick up there are two springs so they are not so heavily stressed. Yes, the main reason they are sold is that they get the car low and look high tech.

18. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

There were two Monoleaves on the front of my '55 F100. Being that there were two, it took a whole 8 months to snap the right front! :D
    I now use the broken one as a pry bar in the shop...the other one's for sale!:eek:

19. Mark Jenny

Mark Jenny

yea..lol...we saw that immediately last night..I just bought this truck...not my bad;)

20. Mark Jenny

Mark Jenny

holy crap..better dump that spring..coarse then I have to get a drop axle...does it ever end?:mad:

21. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

The part number most vendors use for these kingpins and bushing set is 21A-3111.
    any early Ford V8 parts house should have them on the shelf.

22. Manager

Manager

In case you don't realise, you will have to ream the bushes after installation in the stubs. So either buy a reamer when you get the pins and bushes or find someone who has one. Also have a look up into the crossmember, I have seen a lot of monoleaf installations where they end up with a spacer almost as thick as a stock spring so the leaf will clear the chassis rail so a multi leaf spring may barly raise the front.

23. Mark Jenny

Mark Jenny

yep..thats stamped on the spindle

24. Mark Jenny

Mark Jenny

ok...thanks

25. mike bowling

mike bowling

That close up in post #8 looks a little sketchy as far as the angle of the shackle and the length of the spring- if that wheel travels in an upward motion, it doesn't look like it would go too far before bottoming out. (?)
    From what I've read, shackles should sit at aproxx. a 45* angle- that looks more like maybe 20*??
    Not dissing your purchase, but the front end may have to be re engineered a bit.
    Safety First!-- The life you save may be your own!
    ( definitely an improvement over that "A" arm set up- it looks like someone ran over one of the "Transformers" with their Model A !)

26. Andy

Andy

Yes, That is a home made perch. That axle is desined for a spring in front set up. Springs are not really common for that long axle with a spring on top. That is why they made the custom perches. I really don't know if anyone makes a spring for that axle with the spring on top and stock perches. You would need to make sure an A-34 spring would fit. One probably would with those perches.

27. von Dyck

von Dyck

When you receive your kingpin kit, be sure to mic the kingpins for consistent diameter the full length. Also check for a "thumb"push fit in the axle bosses. When the bushings are pressed into the spindles, be sure that they are burnished in prior to being reamed to size. However, I prefer to Sunnen hone them to .001" -.0015" clearance - you end up with a much nicer bearing surface than with a reamer job. Upon assembly, the thin shims go on top of the axle as needed to take up unwanted vertical clearance.
    Hopefully your axle kingpin bosses are in good shape. Judging by the posted pictures, your axle has seen a lot of rust pitting over the last 67 years, then sand blasted and painted.

28. Nailhead A-V8

Nailhead A-V8

The first thing I noticed was the bolt style shackles then my eye went to the sawed off wishbone denoting the late model axle... if the stock A spring were used I think you would find it too short.... I think someone has also cobbled up those spring perches have a good look at them if they seem to have been welded have them magnafluxed for cracks etc before reusing them or find some 28-34 perches I might also measure the rear axle width the '48 is a much wider car than the model A if it is wide or wider then the front stick with your '48 if not maybe consider swapping to a '34 axle or whatever is appropriate

Last edited: Oct 3, 2015
  29. ROADSTER1927

ROADSTER1927

Make sure you measure the distance between the perches so you can get the right length spring and new shackles. Gary