Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs Dropping an Edsel

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by jgang, Aug 21, 2015.

1. jgang

jgang
    from hamburg ny

I did a search but could not find an answer, so I was wondering... is there an alternative to the early 90's aerostar front coil (moog part number cc850) that i can use to get my 59 ranger dropped? has anyone used anything else, aside from a cut original spring, while still using the original front suspension components? thanks for your help, input, and\or advice. if it helps... the car had airide but i was unhappy with it, it has a small block ford in it, it has 4 inch blocks, airbags, and shocks in the rear, is running 14 inch wheels and tires, and when the cc850 moog springs were installed with new shocks, the car sits very very low... the fella helping me out ( i recently had a spinal fusion) said he will have to jack the front end up to get the lift arms out. im not sure exactly how low its sitting, i will try to get an off the ground measurement tomorrow. thanks again.

2. cornfieldcustoms

cornfieldcustoms

my 59 wagon has the areostar spring and am very happy with it. if you are think they are to low i can send you my old original springs. they settled over time, and they made the front end sit 1.5 inches higher than the areostar

[​IMG]

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  3. 32 4door

32 4door

image.jpg Mine has 2" blocks in the rear and cut stock front coils , still handles and drives great

4. You could make up spacers to sit on top of the springs. This would lift it safely. This is my plan as I'm running the aerostar coils in my Ford, haven't put the engine in yet.

5. jgang

jgang
    from hamburg ny

well... i went to see the car the other day and take some measurements and photos for comparison. it is low, but... not as low as i thought it would be based on the conversations i had with the mechanic. yes... he did have to jack it up a smidge to get the lift arm out but it looks just about like cornfields and 32 4 doors. I've been driving it around a little these last few days and i haven't bottomed out, rubbed or scraped anything. I'm not sure if the springs will settle out much or if at all, i will have to wait and see i suppose. i am thinking about getting some spacers just in case, but time will tell. thanks for the info and the pics guys, and i love both of your edsels.

32 4door likes this.
  6. A Boner

A Boner

Like dropping a deuce, but for the late model guys?

7. jpaschke

jpaschke

Cornfield that is a nice looking Edsel you have there

8. greg

greg

Did you use the Moog cc850 springs?

9. jgang

jgang
    from hamburg ny

yes i did and it worked out like a champ. the car rides great and looks fantastic. thanks

10. Dropped a deuce at work today... would have been better if I was doing it while on OT....

kidcampbell71 likes this.