Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods 460 in a 55/56 ford sedan

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by vickckik, Sep 23, 2015.

1. vickckik

vickckik

I have a '55 ford and a chance to pick up a running 460 with a C-6 in a garage kept, 'church lady' Lincoln. I'd appreciate any advice from folks who have done such a swap.

2. FrozenMerc

FrozenMerc

Header to steering box clearance is going to be a big headache. Also expect some floor modifications to fit a C6 in, one of Ford's larger transmissions. I have never done it, but I know a few guys who have, and I have done a few Windsor / AOD swaps into '56 / '57 Fords and I understand where that swap gets tight. If you want big cubes, an FE swap is much easier. Flip the Y-block motor mounts around and bolt one in. Header clearance still gets tight though.

That iron 460 and C-6 is quite a bit heavier then the original Y-block or 6 and 3 spd, so make sure the front springs and shocks are in good to great shape and can handle the increased load.

Good Luck

Last edited: Sep 24, 2015
  3. 57countrysedan

57countrysedan
    from NY

Did it on a 57 I owned. Very tight fit an the exhaust was a nightmare. Being said tons of torque and a blast. Not sure on the 56 but I know my exhaust ran under the control arms. Pain in the ass over everything. Not sure if manifolds would've made it easier I think if I was to do it again I'd look into a 351 or a 302. If u have any other questions feel free to ask me

4. 57countrysedan

57countrysedan
    from NY

Just remembered the only one I came across with good exhaust clearance was another 57 that the guy relocated the steering box. Forgot how he did it but i think he notched out the frame or something to that extent. Or maybe a rack and pinion setup would clear better

5. The '57 is positively roomy compared to a '56. If you can't come up with a FE (by far the easiest swap with the right parts), a 302/351W is pretty straightforward and can be a excellent lo-buck install. I did one years ago, used a '71 LTD/351W/FMX as the donor, the only 'special' parts I had to buy was an upper radiator hose, have new head pipes built, a custom speedo cable, and modify the driveshaft. I reused the late rubber mounts and built my own adaptors to fit the mounts to the frame. Did the whole swap in two weekends....

6. mtkawboy

mtkawboy

58 steering box will give you more room and is a better box

7. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

My '54 Coupe is the same as the '56, across the upper control arms' inboard mountings.
    I set my 460 in there, with a pair of 429 F600 truck center dump exhaust manifolds;
    Looked like a 'shoe-in'. It was close... but NO cigar.

Exhaust manifolds sat right on the control arm shim brackets; (entire front clip was removed, so I could slide the whole unit nearly straight back) The C6 was interfering with the floorboard tranny hump.
    A C4 was planned, with pickup clutch packs and some other lo-buck mods.
    Raised the engine mounts with 3/16" wall 2" X 3" rectangular 'blocks' at mounts.
    Floor had to be opened up and 're-humped', so I removed the 460 and went with my 406/heavy 3 speed toploader. Crap, fits as nice as the Y block did.

Note here: Right bank of FE (head) is rearward; I installed a 427 side oiler in a previous '54 Coupe in '70. Front fenders, front valance, inner fender wells intact, just hood and radiator/core support removed.
    Gonna mention something real stupid here, 'cause it fits. And I knew better. But this was happening at my pal Geno's house, and I didn't want to drag out the time and annoy him, so I took this real cool 'shortcut' I remembered reading.

Now, I have the 427 hanging on an adjustable 'bar-sling', so I can twist the Acme screw and tilt the 600 lb. mill, and 'sneak' it into its cradle. But the bellhousing was attached, and I couldn't get the engine down far enough in front, to slide it straight back...the angle was making interference with the firewall, just ahead of the heater core.
    Right hand head rearward...bigger engine...Not enough firewall clearance.

I recollected an issue of the old comic book, "Hot Rods & Racing Cars"...on the last page, they always had a cartoonlike illustration of a 'hot rod tip'.
    This one month (the ish with the race between Ray Moon & Colby Bean, and the gangsters that heist Colby's rod for a getaway car!) Anyway, the 'trick' was to sledge hammer a block of wood against the firewall on the upper right side. Just 'subtle', about 1/2"...I pulled the engine up and out, sledged the beautiful virgin white firewall back, then Geno grabbed the impact and removed the bell housing.
    I said "You didn't have to do that, it'll go now..."
    Geno said I should have dumped the bell in the first place...

I lowered the mill onto its mounts, perfect. Then checked my clearance...Dogs! There was 1" between the head and the firewall! Dented my little Coupe fer Nuthin'!
    Was I pissed!
    Only until we lit the 427 and warmed it up...that first ride...Man!
    I never believed a lousy comic book after that. (hell, I knew better...LOL)
    Sorry for the long story...but I feel so much better now! That's been on my mind for ages.:D

warbird1 likes this.
  9. vickckik

vickckik

Thanks for saving me from a real BIG temptation. I've done the 302 and 351W swaps. So easy. Even easier, if memory serves, is the FE swap. My friend, his dad and I put a 352 in his '55 Club Sedan back in 1962. I think I'll keep looking. There's got to be a 390 out there that's looking for a new home.

10. FrozenMerc

FrozenMerc

Lots of $150 390's sitting in pickups in salvage yards all over the country. Order up Survival Motorsports Prison Break stoker kit, and you will have a 445 ci beast that will run circles around a smogged up 460.

11. Back in the day I always swapped the Y blocks for 352 Fe,s. Most of the 352 where in cars that where automatic and had tall 300 rear gears. Put a stick trans and some 389 or 411 gears behind one and it will surprise you. the exhaust manifolds on the FE are pretty restrictive.

12. vickckik

vickckik

Any suggestion for exhaust if I do the 390 swap?

13. RmK57

RmK57

You may want to give Crites restorations a call on headers for your app.

14. FrozenMerc

FrozenMerc

15. mtkawboy

mtkawboy

With stock 390 pancake manifolds its a bolt in. I have a buddy who has the FPA exhaust on his 427 57 cheap body and another with a set on his 427 65 Galaxie, the quality is excellent