Register now to get rid of these ads!

History 1940 Ford Convertible with a Hemi

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Ian Boshes, Sep 22, 2015.

1. Ian Boshes

Ian Boshes

I purchased this 1940 Ford Convertible the other day in Ft Lauderdale. I am not sure but I believe it has a 392 Hemi with dual quads. The car is allegedly from California and made its way to the East Coast in the 60's. It came to Florida in the 71. If anyone has info it would be appreciated . Ian

Attached Files:

2. bobby_Socks

bobby_Socks
    from ǑǃƕǑ

Nice 40 convert. looking at the oil fill tube and lack of water crossover leads me to believe that it might be a 331 hemi.

Right behind the oil fill tube and in front of intake will be some numbers post them it will tell what year hemi you have and it can be determined from that what the size is.

40fordtudor and lothiandon1940 like this.
  3. Ian Boshes

Ian Boshes

Cool, I'll look at it tomorrow am.

4. exterminator

exterminator

5. The 39 guy

The 39 guy

Now that should be a fun car! Hope you divulge some more details on it for us jealous guys....

6. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

7. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

Cool - how did you find it?

8. looks like a 300 motor with the two fours.....3NE55-1000 for a 1955....3NE56-1001 for 1956....57 would be NE57....58...NE58.....should be on the pad behind the water pump - drivers side....

9. Ian Boshes

Ian Boshes

The story on the car is a close friend on here knew I have been looking for a tradional hot rod, preferably a roadster and this "hoard" of cars and parts popped up.Not exactly what I was looking for but I always loved 40's. It was local so we ran over and I saw the 40. It was in the garage since 1971 and had only been run around the block every now and then. Anyway I picked it up with another car on Monday. I will start looking it over today. Ill check the block numbers later.

10. Ian Boshes

Ian Boshes

11. NashRodMan

NashRodMan

Wow, cool car. What was the other car you bought?? :)

12. Ian Boshes

Ian Boshes

1948 Studebaker Champion convertible. Rust free . The trim was removed for paint but never finished. That one I will be getting rid of.

13. Well ..... that's pretty damned incredible. Not much better then that ... in my eyes, anyway.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  14. That is a super find. Keep it looking original on the outside with that sneaky HEMI hidden under the hood. Very cool!

40fordtudor likes this.
  15. Vonn Ditch

Vonn Ditch
    from LA

That's a good one. Original transmission/rear end?

16. FlatTracker

FlatTracker
    from Ohio

Nothing like a 40 convertible. My current is a sedan with a hemi, enjoy

17. Ian Boshes

Ian Boshes

Original rear end, not original trans, probably an earlier Lincoln or cadillac? Darn it I forgot to check the block numbers!

18. Fred A

Fred A
    from Encino, CA
    1. Upholstery

Looks like the '40 convert done by the late Kirby Miskimin in Burbank CA in `1966. Almost made me cry as it dropped the stock front down and made a front heavy poor handler. I was really into '40s at that time and any that didn.t go Olds was considered a disaster. Kirby was into VWs and old Porsche. Kirby died last year but his wife is still in Glendale.

19. Ian Boshes

Ian Boshes

Thank you for the reply

20. Ian Boshes

Ian Boshes

Fred is there any sense in asking her for info? It's sad I didn't find it before he passed. The car is probably the way he built it . Same paint and no rust what so ever

21. Movinman

Movinman

Very rare to find cars like this in South Florida. Besides the 40 and the Studebaker, there was a 50 Ford business coupe, a 55 Mercury 4 door Montclair, a 41 Ford coupe, a 35 Ford four door convertible, and a 55 Ford Crown Victoria Skyliner, which is now in my driveway. There are several engines, including two more Hemis, a Cadillac flathead, and a few Y blocks. A ton of NOS boxes that we still have to go through, a couple of sets of 53 Buick Skylark wires, and a hell of a lot more parts that we still have to go through. It's almost overwhelming how many old parts are there. We will be listing some for sale here as we go through them all.

22. Movinman

Movinman

23. Roadsir

Roadsir

It would be cool to find some history on that convertible.

24. woodbutcher

woodbutcher

:D Some folks just have all the luck.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo

25. Flathead Coupe

Flathead Coupe

Very nice Ian... Good Luck with it

Ian Boshes likes this.
  26. Fred A

Fred A
    from Encino, CA
    1. Upholstery

Vicki Miskimin worked for the Glendale PD and retired within the last year. She was not in the picture when Kirby put the hemi into the convert. I came out of the Navy in '70 and Kirby soon went into the VW repair business in Burbank and there I met Vicki and the '40 would have been long gone. It was all about VWs by that time. Hard to imagine Kirby having the money for a later hemi, being as broke and fresh out of high school. We had some kind of transaction about rear fenders and I don't recall who got what in the trade. Good Luck: Fred A