Register now to get rid of these ads!

Ford Econoline, Fordophiles...Help!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Beat2Hell, May 3, 2013.

1. Beat2Hell

Beat2Hell
    from So. Cal

I've had several Mopars but never a Ford. I'm looking into a 60's econoline and want to check it out before I dive in. I could not find brake parts or a clutch kit for my '63 Dodge truck, took alot of special ordering, money and time. (Bendix Uni-servo front brakes). Not really trying to go through that again if I can help it.

On to the Ford. While browsing the parts house's sites, I see they don't list a clutch either for the 200 cu in. 6. Also they don't list rear wheel cylinders, but I should be able to find something being as it's got a 9" rear end... which is common, right?:confused:

What are you guys soing to find these parts? i checked out the econoline madness thread, sick vans!

2. dave lewis

dave lewis
    from Nampa ID

They don't usually have a 9"...
    Unless its a later heavy duty van with a 240 engine.
    No worries on parts..., its just a falcon/comet/ mustang engine..144,170, the 200 ( if it really is a 200 ). was probably swapped in...
    Brakes are falcon 4 lug stuff...easy to find !!

So what year is it?
    Dave

3. Don't think early Econoline had 9" rears,,,brake cylinders can be matched by casting ##s at REAL parts places, same for PP's and discs. NAPA has parts for extinct DeSoto's,,,should not be a problem with Econolines,,had a '62 PU years ago

slow typer,,Hubs are 5 lug @ 41/2",,,,,,,,same as car

4. GeezersP15

GeezersP15
    from N.E. PA

Take a close look underneath if it's an early 60's model. I bought a 62 that was about 10 years old at the time, and it was a real rustbucket. Had to fabricate new engine mounts because the originals were nearly rotted away, and even the rear bumper had rust holes in it. Nice truck after all the rust/rot repair, but a LOT of work.

5. chopo

chopo

macs and napa have everything you need

6. go-twichy

go-twichy
    BANNED

my 64 panel came stock with a 9"

Attached Files:

7. Fairlane Mike

Fairlane Mike

9 inch rears and some had 4.56 gears on the later ones!! Buzzzzzzzzzzzzz!!!! P. S. I would think a vehicle from Cali-4-n-ya would be pretty rust free. The clutch you might have to take to a clutch rebuild shop. Brake parts shouldn't be a prob at all.

Last edited: May 4, 2013
  8. thunderbirdesq

thunderbirdesq

9" were available in these, the one I had in my old one was a 3:1, nice for hwy cruising. Brake parts, engine parts, and clutch stuff is all available and relatively inexpensive. And the brakes are NOT 4 lug!

9. Veach

Veach

Parts are easy to find go for it

10. econolineherb

econolineherb

Hi . There are two Econoline groups out there . oldeconolines . econosrus is the one i'm in .

11. go-twichy

go-twichy
    BANNED

hi herb, kurt here in California. do you still have your panel vans? hope all is well.

12. Hellfish

Hellfish

There's also a forum callled Vintage-Vans.com. Very useful.

Most mechanical parts are easy to find, but a few oddballs, like shackles, but there are replacements if you ask around.

If you have a 9" and a small 6 (144/170) I think the yoke is an unusual size since it was an uncommon combo.

I don't think I've really had any trouble finding parts. They share a few parts with Broncos, and other Ford cars and trucks. Lots of stuff on ebay, too. Sheet metal is the biggest problems since they are usually damaged (rust, abuse) and only a few pieces are re-popped.

13. bgaro

bgaro

i've got a '61. haven't had to much trouble finding parts yet. as said falcons, mustangs, etc, shared parts. any upgrades to brakes will be well spent. and a nine inch would be great, mine came with a seven stock.

14. Both of mine had the 7.5 rear end. The driveshaft yoke is damn near impossible to find - I broke one on an accidental burnout.
    Clutches can be a pain due to different sizes but are available.

I don't think the 200 ever came in the 61-67 - they had the 144, 170, and 240 - at least that is what I can find

15. Hellfish

Hellfish

I've never heard of one with a 200 from the factory, but it's a common swap

16. econolineherb

econolineherb

Hi Kurt . Still have my '64 and '65 panels . Have a '61 Epup with a 5.0 in it .
    just havin' fun in Fl.

17. Styleliner

Styleliner

If you cant find parts for an econoline... you cant find parts for anything.... c'mon.

18. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

E100 vans usually had a 7.5" like the Falcons ran. I actually found all the parts in stock at Autozone. Hate dealing with the counter guys, so I looked up all the parts online and just gave them a list with numbers. They didn't have the rear wheel cylinders new, but did have kits. They had front cylinders, and also the master.
    No problem on the clutch kit either there.

19. econolineherb

econolineherb

Hi . Is that clutch for the 170 ? If so can you post the part numbers .
    Thanks , Herb in Fl.

20. early mopars are always due for a stock up grade....they kept that straight axle all the way to 1972....but with different brake set up's...

21. go-twichy

go-twichy
    BANNED

herb, shaun O'Dell of vic on oldeconolines.com may have the info you're looking for. sometimes he's not on for a while, if you need, I can pm you his phone number, kurt

22. econolineherb

econolineherb

Car hubs won't fit on Econolines . 9 inch rearends are Econoline only . 144 170, 200 will fit in a early '61-'64 & '65 with a 170 . See the group below .

23. econolineherb

econolineherb

Hi . I know Vic , bought alot of parts from him .

24. Mr T body

Mr T body
    Alliance Vendor
    from BHC AZ

You will have an issue with a replacement clutch disc and pressure plate for an early 140/170 as it uses a stepped flywheel and small disc. The listings are wrong..... but you'll likely find that out the hard way. Best advice is find a rebuilder to rebuild the pressure plate and re-line the disc.

25. econopoor

econopoor
    from Jackson TN

There are three know to exist. Two were Bell South vans out of the Memphis district. The other was on the west coast I believe. They are very rare but it was an option if you knew how to order it.

26. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If you search, you will find my write-up on how to put a Mercedes/Pontiac hybrid diaphragm clutch in one of these, with a T5. This could easily be done with a stock style disc.

Avoid rebuilt clutches. I have yet to see a good one.