Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Help!? What exactly is this?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Doctorterry, Sep 20, 2015.

1. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

That will go perfectly with your tie dye shirt.

2. Tie dye my ass paisley brother, paisley and wide wale corduroy, elephant bells. Faaaaarrrrrrrr out man. :D

volvobrynk likes this.
  3. Ehhhhhhhh....anybody take a look at the original econoline headlights and bezels? Talk about out of place! Somebody said something about taking a round car and putting square headlights in it being wrong and I agree. A stock econoline has round lights and bezels in a square car...I say the square lights are an improvement! I think single lights would have looked a little better tho....a very 70s look.

rustynewyorker and tb33anda3rd like this.
  4. Some of the things we do to look traditional don't look that good. I look at old pics of some regular cars in peoples picture books and some of them just were not nearly as smooth as we would like them to be. ;)

5. Inked Monkey

Inked Monkey

Hmmm, how far away is Carthage?...... I've been in the market

6. 2.5 hours its down by Joplin.

7. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

John Denver, Avocado high.................

8. Sunshine in the morning makes me happy, sunshine in my eyes can make me cry (although window pane doesn't) . . . sunshine almost all the time gets me high. :D :D :D

9. Doctorterry

Doctorterry

Time to save my shekels!? Agh it's so cool. It doesn't help that I've been looking at these old econoline a on the Internet all day... Now I have the fever...

10. LOL penicillin won't cure it bud. ;) :D

11. KCsledz

KCsledz

so the other question is did you talk to the owner? Is it even for sale?

12. Doctorterry

Doctorterry

No... The other detail of the story is that I'm a 17 year old with an unfinished car and no job! Already wanting another car.... I know I know

13. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

You can never have too many unfinished cars.

14. Doctorterry

Doctorterry

Can't argue with you there. What would we ever do if we finished our projects? I guess sit around on HAMB and Craigslist looking for me

volvobrynk likes this.
  15. Budget36

Budget36

Correct, but ya can run out of room.. ;)

volvobrynk likes this.
  16. finn

finn

Don't laugh.

Somebody cut up the perfectly good fenders on my 36 Ford coupe project to put in those square 80s GM headlight amominations.

I'd take a picture but it hurts my eyes to look at them, and I don't want to subject anyone to the horror.

volvobrynk likes this.
  17. KRB52

KRB52
    from Conneticut

What's that old song? "If Loving You Is Wrong, I Don't Want To Be Right"? Around my area, that would be more rust than metal by the mid-80's. I remember a few years ago there was someone in my town that had a similar vintage Econoline for sale. I can't remember if it was a camper or just a passenger van; I do remember it had windows all the way around it, a 170-six and three-on-the-tree. It was in very good condition, no visible rust, shiny paint. I think his asking price was either $6k or $7k. Too many "k's" out of my price range.

18. blue 49

blue 49
    from Iowa

The headlights could be worse, it could have Hagans.

Gary

19. Doctorterry

Doctorterry

Maybe I should buy it and put a big block in it. Letter "dinero carro" on the side. Money wagon in Spanish put bass boat green flake on it and yellow plastic windows. Oh man what my imagination comes up with

volvobrynk likes this.
  20. We don't know how old you are but everything that follows still applies.
    These guys are telling you a lot if you can read between the lines.
    Sometimes you really do need to listen to your dad.
    Do yourself a favor and try looking for somethig that actually runs..
    and drives.... and stops..... and that you can register legally.
    You can't drive something like that van for a long time after you
    buy it, cause everything you can see is wrong with it, and more that you
    can't see is also, and I'm not talking about the headlights!
    You will be much happier, in the short run buying a driver,
    spending a little more money up front, and getting to drive a lot sooner.
    And your dad may even help you out a little when you demonstrate your "maturity"
    This is all "personal experience" A buddy and I bought a non runner 1950 Ford
    when we were 12-14 years old. we didn't tell anyone. It never ran for the
    2 years we had it. When we finaly got rid of it it was a happy day.!
    Soon after I found a 1961 Renault Daufine that was on the road, bought it,
    and had my own wheels, with dad's blessing. He helped with the tune-up,
    the carb, the brakes etc. I was driving all over ASAP. Had it 6 months,
    sold it for a profit and launched my automotive career! The 1950 Ford taught
    me a lot... I never bought a car to drive that didn't run again, in 50 years!
    Just my $.02
    Do whatever you think is right.

pitman likes this.
  21. Doctorterry

Doctorterry

Thanks for the advice! I'm afraid my "lesson learned" vehicle might come after my driver though lol. I already have a '62 biscayne daily driver... Now I want somthing to screw around with and make fun.

volvobrynk and Tony Martino like this.
  22. A lot of people used to use the Econoline steering box and column on T-buckets and other lightweight cars with side steer. If it's rusted to pieces and destined to be crusher food, save the steering box and column to sell or trade.

volvobrynk likes this.
  23. Doctorterry

Doctorterry

I figured I could buy the van and either build it, or sell the front axle, the rear end, the engine and tranny, the steering box and column, and then see if anyone is in need of any of the doors and glass, and either scrap it or sell the body... Probably make money that way

volvobrynk likes this.
  24. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

A Ford Falcon, Econoline Van with GM quad headlights grafted on. Someone said they drive by it too, and it's not worth it. Have you actually looked at it? They do have Unibody construction, so any chassis/body issues are going to be involved to repair, and we all know how Falcons rusted. I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

25. Whoops I guess I missed an entry or 2!
    17 and no job, one car that drives is all you can afford... or not even!
    Find a job first, then get enought cash to buy a junker and invest in yourself
    and see if you can make some $ off it!
    That is free enterprise at work!
    Go do it and buy what you want and do what you want with it.
    You will always find help, info and support here!

volvobrynk and Doctorterry like this.
  26. Doctorterry

Doctorterry

27. F-ONE

F-ONE
    from Alabama

One thing you need to learn at your age is, you cant save them all. If you try, you'll have a yard full of junk like myself.

My best advice for a young man or woman if she is so inclined, is to find what you really have a passion for and devote all your energies into obtaining that goal.

Anything short of "that car" is a quick fix which begets more quick fixes and before too long there is a yard full and none of them are really what you want.

Now with that said you have to be realistic. Some cars have crossed over like the 57 Chevy, 32 Ford and 40 Ford. Even with these famous cars; sometimes you can find the less desirable models at an obtainable price, especially for the 40 Ford and 57 Chevrolet. After an extensive resto-mod on a 60 Falcon, my uncle regretfully said "For the same money and time I could have built a much more desirable car."

It may sound like a contradiction but learning commitment is a big step in anyone's life. There is an old saying down here.
    You have a 62 Biscayne. 1962 IMHO was the greatest year in all the 60s, especially for Ford and Chevrolet. 2 door 4 door it really does not matter anymore, at least not as much as it did. The younger folks like my son are just as happy with a 4 door.

My advice is this. Commit to the the Biscayne. Improve it as much as you can. If it's not the car you really want, sell it for a profit and work your way up. Resist the temptation of adopting all the rusty road kill.

Tony Martino, Budget36 and volvobrynk like this.
  28. 17 and no job could be a blessing.

Tony is correct you should own a running driving vehicle. I have been on my own since *14 and have always owned a car or a bike that was running. I haven't really had a choice in the matter you work and pay the bills, sometimes what you drive isn't "cool" but it gets you from point A to point B. I finished high school, not an easy task but you do what you gotta do. I would either concentrate on what I had or find something that ran and use it to get by while I was finishing what I had. Unless you have already graduated I cannot suggest a full time job but if mom and dad are keeping a roof over your head part time will get you most of what you need in the line of an old heap to drive or car parts.

* I had options, Military Academy (legal reform school) or move out I chose the later.

Doctorterry and Tony Martino like this.