Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Cars Built for TROG

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by -Brent-, Sep 10, 2015.

1. -Brent-

-Brent-

Fellas,

I've been following along from way out west for the past few years. Other than every fall when Hershey rolls around, no other event makes me wish I was back home on the east coast. Moreover, what's truly impressive is that the TRoG is probably responsible for more hot rods being put together in the last few years than any other event, period.

If there's an event that's inspired more folks to get a vehicle together, I'd love to hear it. I cannot think of anything else that has so many regular folks inspired

What Mel and Bobby and the rest of the Oilers (and their extended families) have created is getting cars built. I mean, so many of these beach racers were derelict projects collecting dust before TRoG. Now, I see so many guys pulling frames out of fields and bodies out of rafters and others starting with a pile that was most likely relegated for parts. I respect that seldom-mentioned fact.

Anyway, this is a thread dedicated to all the cars built specifically to attend/race on the beach and the folks that built them.

So, if you will, share or tag someone who has built a TRoG racer. I think this could be a fantastic thread.

2. 2935ford

2935ford

I've heard and maybe incorrectly....you can not run a previous year car?
    Anyone who could confirm this?

3. ................I believe that's correct.

4. Great thread starter. I was thinking this same thing a couple days ago. A TROG build cars/trucks only thread. Subscribed!.

5. Should be a good thread,always enjoy the coverage.What is meant by a previous year car?

6. 2935ford

2935ford

If you ran a car the previous year.....you are not allowed to run it (the same car) the next year there.
    In other words.....if you want to enter again.....you need a different car.

7. ..............I believe they require that you don't bring a car that you've brought before.

8. Thanks for the reply's,thought that's the meaning.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  9. Kiwi 4d

Kiwi 4d
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I believe there may be a waiting list for those past entrants wish to bring the same car back. I guess if they still have spare spots closer to the time.

10. Here is our cars in order. 2013 entry 78B 29 roadster, 2014 entry 69d 26 track T, and new for 2015 the 555 belly tank. Best event ever for early hot rods!

Attached Files:

11. orangeamcs

orangeamcs

From this to this in 8 weeks.

Attached Files:

12. garage2small

garage2small

313.jpg Another shot of the Barillaro cars

13. .................................How are those guys gonna finish your car if they're "playing" in N.J?:D................Seriously, looks like they're having a blast. Are you traveling to Jersey with them?........Don.

14. garage2small

garage2small

Yes sir, going to TROG with the Barillaro's, fortunate to be an official member of the pit crew. Went last year also, best hot rod event ever! As for finishing my car, hey you can't let work get in the way of having fun!

15. ....................................Very cool! Have fun.:)

16. -Brent-

-Brent-

rog4.jpg Here's @general gow 's first entry, the Silver City Spl., which really altered the direction I am taking with my own car. I'm fairly sure this was built primarily for TRoG and sold shortly after.

17. general gow

general gow
    Staff Member

Brent, I did build that car specifically for TROG. I didn't own the body or the chassis before I heard that Mel was planning to put something together. When I caught wind of it, I sold my '29 pickup, and bought the chassis. I found the body a week or so later, but was on pins and needles cuz I was second in line. I ended up with it, and the rest is history. I sold it soon after TROG '12, in an effort to raise some dough for a daily driver for my wife. The car has passed through a few owners since, and wears new livery, but is essentially unchanged and tearing up the dirt tracks of PA.

-Brent- likes this.
  18. 2935ford

2935ford

TRoG for the weekend, Epay on Monday! :)

19. general gow

general gow
    Staff Member

Hahaha, @2935ford it wasn't the plan, but sometimes life gets in the way. Plus, it clears the way in the shop for another one...

20. general gow

general gow
    Staff Member

For 2013, I didn't build a car for myself. But I did work with @CrazyUncleHarry to get one down the beach for him. For 2014, I built the Sachem, and with some changes to the zeppelin speedster, CUH was able to run his again last year too. The best part about that was that we were able to go head to head a couple times. I did not build another car this year, but the Sachem is returning with me. CUH is building a new car this year though, and that is coming together in my shop as we speak. It's a terrible addiction, I'm afraid, and there is no cure but a careful mixture of salt, sand, and petroleum.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

21. Pete

Pete

First car I raced, I had no plans to sell it...at all.....I was building my dream '32 roadster, something iv always wanted. Shortly after the race a fella was interested in it, a deal was made. Part of me wishes I didnt sell it....Oh well Ill build another one.

The Torrnado T was next, Iv always wanted a Hopped up T...I also kinda planned on keeping that one but once I sat my fat 6'-1" ass in it I realized I wasnt meant to be. I continued to build it for the race, than sold it to jason in Kansas where he made many improvements and raced it at the Hot Rod Hillclimb.

This years car.....1931 Model A coupe....a car I have always wanted but could never find the right one. It popped up on CL locally but spent its entire life on the west coast, virtually rot free but riddled with weird dents it was still a deal.
    Im keeping this one though.

P-

-Brent- likes this.
  22. patmanta

patmanta
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Woburn, MA
    1. MASSACHUSETTS HAMB

Well, I haven't finished my build, raced, or entered for consideration even, but the decision that I wanted to try did completely change the nature of my build from one closer to the outer limits of HAMB friendly to one with flathead power.

-Brent- likes this.
  23. -Brent-

-Brent-

@Pete, I've seen the car here and there on Instagram, post it up.

24. Kerrybrown1

Kerrybrown1
    from USA

subscribed just now!!! amazing thread,

25. 2935ford

2935ford

I must say it looks like a great event and the cars that run in it, for the most part, are right up my alley.
    I hope it sparks interest in the younger set to a build.......:)

26. Muttley

Muttley

Yeah, sure you are. ;) :D :p

27. DualQuad55

DualQuad55
    from NH

my thoughts exactly! like the chevy coupe, the first t roadster, the 54 Buick, ....

28. nosdan

nosdan

This was last winter's build that'll be hitting the sand in just a few days. Used this old 29 body (no floor, hacked up) that was from a "hot car" back in the early 50s in Berks County, PA. Stitched some new tin on it with some other mods. A chassis with a 31 banger with goodies both inside and out. Ran the rubber of the car this summer racing on local dirt tracks with the Eastern Museum of Motor Racing gang and as part of the Keystone Roadster Racing Association.
    DD1.jpg DD2.jpg DD3.jpg DD4.jpg

29. The37Kid

The37Kid

So good to see this Tub finally together. It was the first car I ever owned bought on my 16th birthday in 1966. Sold it in 1972 and it just sat that way until you built it. Have fun, go fast. Bob

30. onekoolkat1950

onekoolkat1950