Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Hidden Disc Brake options.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Blue One, Sep 14, 2015.

1. Harms Way

Harms Way

"True" traditional Hot Rods end every "Panic Stop" with a trip to the laundry-mat....

2. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Yes, even with a vacuum bleeder, air can still be trapped in a high point in the caliper above the bleeder.

3. unkledaddy

unkledaddy

Jeezus..............those are street rod prices.
    Traditional?

wex65 likes this.
  4. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Traditional or not we are talking about limited production modern technology packaged into a vintage look, not cheap.
    Building cars with what you have, or can get, or even what you can afford. Improving your ride in that fashion has always been traditional.

5. As someone who put the original Functional Fakes, which were the first hidden Buick Drum style ones, on my own car 10+ years ago, I can honestly say the bleeding has never been an issue for me. Sure it's a little more work, SO WHAT? You know what it's going to take, so you set aside an extra hour or so every few years. No Big Deal. It's part of HOT RODDING in my book!

kidcampbell71 and da34guy like this.
  6. unkledaddy

unkledaddy

You answered my question with very few words.

7. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

No I didn't.

8. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

So, do you like the brakes? Worth the price?
    As far as hot rodding goes, I have often wondered why the caliper in these kits could not have been modified or designed with the bleeder to be in a location for easy bleeding with the caliper mounted in the operating postion.

9. It would be interesting to see an actual braking comparison, on a regular hot rod, of 12" Bendix drum brakes and a typical disc conversion. I'm not talking about the constant lane changing-run up on the next guys ass, and slam on the brakes style of driving where fade would come into play; just normal somewhat attentive hot rod driving.
    It seems to me the small road contact of the skinny front tires is more of the limiting factor than the brakes themselves.

F-ONE and tb33anda3rd like this.
  10. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

As a side note, So-Cal has not kept up their tech sheet on the fake brakes. They now have a caliper with the bleeders on the top and not on each end so they can bled without disassembling them.

kidcampbell71 and Pewsplace like this.
  11. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

So, if this is true, the next question is, have deuce manufacturing ( The originators of this kit and also a better quality made in the US version- before So-Cal knocked them off and had them made offshore) made the same change to their kits ?

12. Rice n Beans Garage

Rice n Beans Garage

Exactly, Walden sells the Deuce Manufacturing Co. Brake which is there interpretation of the Kinmont.

13. junior 1957

junior 1957

is it just me? the basic function of a brake is turn forward motion into heat and dissipate it into the air, vented rotors pump air like a centrifugal supercharger seems like putting them in a metal box with no airflow defeats the purpose. may as well use real drum brakes. just a thought

SicSpeed and X38 like this.
  14. 55willys

55willys

Yes it does matter because the Wilwood calipers have bleeders on the top and bottom when mounted in the vertical position as they are designed to be used, but when they are mounted horizontal the bleeder is in line with the half way point of the pistons so there is no way to get the air out of the upper half.

15. Happydaze

Happydaze
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Agreed. But here's a thought. I don't know what the correct procedure is for replacing brake fluid - as i see it it's either drain fully and bleed as normal or flush out the old fluid with new. I flush. Typically I'd syringe most of the old fluid out of the resevoir, refill and flush the new fluid through. I tend to run a lot through in the hope of removing all traces of old fluid. No air is introduced to the system, well it shouldn't be! So I'm thinking, would this flush method remove the requirement for any disassembly?

Chris

16. SicSpeed

SicSpeed
    from Idaho

To me this just seems like a waist of effort. If I was running disc brakes I'd flaunt the shit with big huge calipers. Disc brakes need air flow. I guess if it's a glass car with fake drums and a passenger with a tit job it would all work good. I'd rather like the girlfriend or the rod to just be what it is

junior 1957 likes this.
  17. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

NO, they are not their interpretation of the Kinmonts.
    Nowhere in their description of their brakes do deuce manufacturing ever make that claim.
    In fact they specifically mention making the fins on the drum-cover to be like the original BUICK drums.
    So in other words you are wrong. :D

18. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

I contacted DM about the bleeder location change, we will see what they say. I think I will also call So-Cal to see if it is true.
    As far as airflow goes, that is why they are designed with an air scoop :rolleyes:

19. alchemy

alchemy

I think there are now two fake brakes made by Deuce Manufacturing. A set that kinda looks like Buick drums, and a set that kinda looks like Kinmonts. So who is wrong? :D

To add my own opinion to this cluster, I think trying to hide stuff is a bad idea. Extra layers of heat-trapping insulation on brakes isn't good. If you want some discs, go find a set of lobster claw calipers. Or real Kinmonts.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2015
  20. stubbsrodandcustom

stubbsrodandcustom
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Spring tx

Love how everyone thinks a caliper has to be bolted down in place to be bled.. if you have an issue, unbolt it, turn it on a rotor to where the bleed screw is at top.. bleed it...while holding it, then re install... don't overcomplicate your life...

kidcampbell71 and rustisgold like this.
  21. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

I'll be talking to Paul at Deuce Manufacturing on the phone later today so I will ask him if he in fact makes 2 kits with one being like the Kinmonts.
    According to his website there is only 1, the original Functional Fakes kit, the website is an interesting read and gives the history including the knock off story.

The problem you seem to be missing is that with these kits the rotor is mounted up top. Yes you are correct, you move the caliper for bleeding.
    The problem with these particular kits is that because the brake line comes through the backing plate, you can't move the caliper unless you can also move the backing plate which requires a whole lot of disassembly, including the steering arms.
    A lot of work, more than you seem to think.

22. 32 Spitfire

32 Spitfire

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  23. These are the Walden's/Deuce Factory Kinmont recreations. They're not on either ones web site yet because they just came out. They advertise them in the new HOP UP.
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/l-a-roadsters.980411/

24. Why hide things with FAKE? In one of the first Mad Fab DVDs, Cole foster had a great quote about how the japs were making raw, functional, mechanical pieces while on this side of the pond builders were "making covers to hide covers" (paraphrase but you get the point)

wex65 likes this.
  25. You and I have had a disagreement or two in the past but I have got to say that there is no way that I can disagree with this statement, you are spot on here buddy. ;)

I didn't look at all the brakes originally posted I stopped at the updated Kinmont brakes. I saw them and immediately got *erectile dysfunction. I would certainly like to see the entire setup. Pricey? you bet your ass but who here has price an old set of possibly functional crusty Kinmonts lately? I have seen them go as high as Ardun heads. And these new ones should be plug and play.

*erectile dysfunction: I get dysfunctional as hell when I got an erection.

26. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

That's great. I will get the full scoop when I talk to Paul. I'm sure he will get around to adding them to his website.
    They look similar to the offerings from JRS.

27. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

:D Thanks beaner. I think I will be leaning towards the deuce manufacturing "fakes" after I talk to Paul.
    The price of over $4500 Canadian to get the JRS Kinmonts to me here in Canada is a little rich for my blood.
    Larry.

28. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

The heat issue is also addressed on the deuce manufacturing web site and apparently is not an issue.

29. If there was a way giggle the exchange rate around a little bit I would sure be glad to help. Maybe if you chat with them a bit they will cut you a break.

It'll work out just make sure you know what you are getting ahead of the game.

30. Pewsplace

Pewsplace

I did a post on the Kinmont Brakes that the Hot Rod Brake Co is producing. Paul has changed the name of his company. The brakes were on display at this year's GNRS in the Walden booth. For me, they look very nice. I have also shown the Buick style brakes.

IMG_4626.jpg IMG_4619.jpg IMG_4621.jpg

kidcampbell71 likes this.