Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Model A patch panel advice

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by grim1930, Sep 7, 2015.

1. grim1930

grim1930
    from Norfolk UK

Hi I need to fit some patch panels to the bottoms of my doors, I have already done the cowl lower patchs (butt welded), I have not done panels before with a return round the sides and bottom so was wondering the best approach, obviously I will cut the panels down and only replace what I have to but do you tack the panel then beat the edges and bottom round then finish welding ? or what is the best way to tackle this ? any help and advice would be great.
    Thanks Graham

2. cretin

cretin

The way I would do it is, I would cut out the door structure higher then where my weld seam on the door skin is going to be, completely weld and finish the weld seam on the skin, then weld the structure back in, then hem the edges over.

3. Cut it where you can get dolly acess or you'll be fighting it,

Cretin's method will work well

4. rocketsled59

rocketsled59

Loosely form your edge and bottom hems around a piece of metal the same gauge as the door shell. Fit your panel as closely as possible around edges. Then cut it to the height you néed. Once the seam in middle of door is welded hammer and dolly the hem and give some tack welds and weld the old to new hem seam. Good luck! RS59

5. grim1930

grim1930
    from Norfolk UK

Thanks for the advice, I will try and have a go at this later in the week